Who else operates heavy equipment at work

serioussam

6 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Was all Letourneau equipment diesel/electric?

LeTourneu's are diesel electric, ours was power by a 855 series Cummins driving a dc generator coupled ac generator, traction motors were 540 vdc  motors. Tilt tusk steering were 630 vac motors.  Had lots of power, could even tip over a log truck.

Here the wife standing next to it,

she's 5' 10"

20220109_130921.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Was all Letourneau equipment diesel/electric?

Sorry to quick on the reply. Not sure of the whole product line. Yes the majority were diesel eletric. The loaders are eletric drive hydrulic  bucket not sure about steering. 

20 hours ago, bitty said:

I occasionally get to run some big equipment but not like years ago. In '99 we got a Cat 977H and opened our own shale pit. We eventually replaced that with a Cat 235 excavator. We just reclaimed the pit last year. We sold the Terex C6 dozer two years ago that we got from the excavator who did our barn work. We still have a Gallion T600 grader from him to get rid of

IMG_20210825_194316884.jpg

IMG_20210824_074628181.jpg

IMG_20210824_074622636.jpg

IMG_20210825_194310377.jpg

IMG_20210825_194259710.jpg

Spent a lot of time on a 977H building my house and 3/4 mile driveway.Big old loader.Terex 7281 loaders when I was kid in a quarry, nothing like those Screaming Demons Detroits.I love to have a Terex dozer,they were the one to own way back when.Ran my share of North West Cranes,power cable shovels, Cat loaders and Euclid haulage trks.Now I just got a old Case 580b hoe and little Massy dozer with a 6way blade at the farm.But my main day job is Penndot road worker and my truck is a INTERNATIONAL tri axle its main and wing plows dodging traffic on a crowded interstate. 

I don't  think a 5 ton yellow diesel van counts.

But

I have always enjoyed running a loader. However big or small. Never got to run a real big loader though 😕

Dad taught me an appreciation for those Detroits when I was a little boy. He had several in his equipment at the mines, most notably his Euclid pay haulers. The picture of him with his new R-22 hangs in my office now.  We still have a few pieces running old Detroit’s, an old roller and an old crane. 

When I was a little kid I wanted to do 3 things; farm (grow wheat), fly an airplane and operate a big ‘dozer. Got to do all 3, was 62 years old when I finally got paid for running heavy equipment.

I especially like moving dirt, now that I’m retired I’ve put the word out to the various contractors I know that if they need an operator for couple of days that I’ll run a D-6 for free and pay them a dollar an hour to run a D-8!

It’s been a little over a year since I’ve been in a machine.

In the picture of the D-8 I was pushing up a berm at a shooting range - didn’t have to be pretty.

BE17C1A1-C59C-4171-A902-152AEB391C7B.jpeg

13 hours ago, DC Snider said:

Dad taught me an appreciation for those Detroits when I was a little boy. He had several in his equipment at the mines, most notably his Euclid pay haulers. The picture of him with his new R-22 hangs in my office now.  We still have a few pieces running old Detroit’s, an old roller and an old crane. 

Ran a R22 with a Detroit for years.Lotsa good memories with that old Euc( at least now)going from a green farm boy to working with a very diverse workforce racially and environmentaly.We all treated each other as equals,with respect (other than the normal work place riding, teasing)and me being a minority (white kid) with the others being other kids my age being black and much older black men whom taught me alot.

Very good memories and the life lessons learned that working for family that can't fire you to working for a company that only wants the job done was and is immeasurably valuable. 

3 hours ago, Dasnake said:

You dozer guys, running this size basically the same operation as smaller sizes?

1343672034_484601-10151060725899556-2074844989-n.jpg

I have to ask, even if you get mad, are you a window washer or an operator?  Hehe, I had to take a second look before I saw you up there.   I think I could use that thing for an hour or so, small dozer all day project.  A dozersaures like that a one hour project.  What are the demensions and ratings of that beast?

5 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I have to ask, even if you get mad, are you a window washer or an operator?  Hehe, I had to take a second look before I saw you up there.   I think I could use that thing for an hour or so, small dozer all day project.  A dozersaures like that a one hour project.  What are the demensions and ratings of that beast?

I got that picture of the supposedly largest dozer off the 'net, I think the guy is the operator, as for me I'm not even close to being able to handle any heavy machinery, my kid wanted to teach me running his bucket but I turned that down.

2 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I got that picture of the supposedly largest dozer off the 'net, I think the guy is the operator, as for me I'm not even close to being able to handle any heavy machinery, my kid wanted to teach me running his bucket but I turned that down.

Oh come on, you could of made a fantastic story about it and we'd of swallowed it hook line and sinker.  

I think that thing could move more by accident then I can with my d7 on purpose!

5 minutes ago, Dave Shepard said:

Largest production dozer is the D575A-3 Superdozer. 1,150 hp, 168 tons, 125 yard blade capacity. Largest non-production dozer is the ACCO. 201+ tons, 1,350 hp (twin V-8 CATS).

Got a picture? The size of these things amazes me.

8 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Oh come on, you could of made a fantastic story about it and we'd of swallowed it hook line and sinker.  

I think that thing could move more by accident then I can with my d7 on purpose!

Ya I could have, but most guys know my story and if I tried baloney like that they would start laffing and maybe fall off their chairs and then I would be responsible for injury and it just wouldn't feel right.

Largest dozer I ever got to run was when I worked in a landfill. D9N with an oversized trash blade. Didn’t really like it because of blade. Most fun was pushing scrapers with an old D9H. Lots of smoke and noise but something always moved

On 1/9/2022 at 6:26 AM, serioussam said:

I also love the sound of Detroit diesels , I ran the old clark and timberjacks back in the day . The Euclid r22s were fun to drive with the 671s . I'm still in local 793 

MY FIRST CABLE SKIDDER WAS A TREE FARMER C-4 WITH A 353 DETROIT. IT WOULD OUTPULL A JD 440 SERRIES HANDS DOWN. BUT VERY LOUD.

I dont have pics but at work I run D6, d8 , excavator from 345 and down, blade sometimes , skids , loaders around 980. Most of the time I'm side floppin with my peterbilt or belldumping. Made a little video of my work. The blue peterbilt sidedumping and belly dumping is me

Archived