Who else operates heavy equipment at work

serioussam

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have always wanted to so i try to do work for others and run theirs - i plan to do that when I retire, at this point with my situation at work I might be getting there sooner than later but I will need to be able to make a living at it. 

i love running equipment its very enjoyable to me - back n forth - round n round - whatever it looks like - i dont like it in the heat though my body cant take it unless in Air Cond. 

1 minute ago, Dasnake said:

Here is my kids office.

08EE7F57-B2D0-46FD-8EDD-1DE27CBB8678.png

I wuz talking with him the other day about work and he says he misses driving skidders up in Likely but the 4 month winter shutdown and going on UI he doesn’t miss. And with him going into fatherhood in February the closer to home when working is good also.

28 minutes ago, serioussam said:

About 2 1/2 days last week on this section doing rock grade with a D8r and 3 trucks hauling to me 20220106_161154.thumb.jpg.5cb5f0d503494e0421e577a22b3c6d2d.jpg

looks like you been doing the Jimmy JJ walker thing up there too!!!! - nice/great from the looks of it to me 

Cat 966H With a 15yd  bucket wood chip tender, no not a doctored picture true 15. Took 10 heaped buckets to fill a trailer boxed out. 

I didn't have a big enough set had to find something else!

Stack chips most of the time because chip trucks would ghost us. Worked 3 pm to 3am so on top of the chip pile 15' wide 400+ feet long above the yard lights 3rd gear throttle pegged just to stay up with the mill. Most of the time I was looking out the back window at black on the chip pile. Looking out the side window I could see the side of the pile and a long way down.

IMG951004.jpg

IMG951164.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jess_656D said:

Cat 966H With a 15yd  bucket wood chip tender, no not a doctored picture true 15. Took 10 heaped buckets to fill a trailer boxed out. 

Stack chips most of the time because chip trucks would ghost us. Worked 3 pm to 3am so on top of the chip pile 15' wide 400+ feet long above the yard lights 3rd gear throttle pegged just to stay up with the mill. Most of the time I was looking out the back window at black on the chip pile. Looking out the side window I could see the side of the pile and a long way down.

IMG951004.jpg

IMG951164.jpg

wow cool!!! love it

18 minutes ago, Jess_656D said:

IMG951004.jpg

IMG951164.jpg

Your bucket looks almost double to juniors, are chips lighter than the loam he shovels? His asss is run ragged loading dump trucks, I wonder if the big bucket would help loading.

9 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Your bucket looks almost double to juniors, are chips lighter than the loam he shovels? His asss is run ragged loading dump trucks, I wonder if the big bucket would help loading.

. The machine your sons running, that's about as big bucket  loaded he could run.

Chips are light but between the bucket weight and chips it's heavy when loaded.

The day chip tender turned to tight on a pile balls out, he would have gone over but his bucket was low and wide enough it caught him.

This is what I drive, it's a 2006 Kenworth t800 Michigan special. Maximum legal gross with this axle combination is 154,000 so I guess it counts as heavy. The second pic is of the machine that cuts ahead of me. In addition to hauling I also do the road and site prep on our jobs so I do play in the dirt once in a while.

20200916_145329.jpg

20211203_145742.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jess_656D said:

. The machine your sons running, that's about as big bucket  loaded he could run.

Chips are light but between the bucket weight and chips it's heavy when loaded.

The day chip tender turned to tight on a pile balls out, he would have gone over but his bucket was low and wide enough it caught him.

I just talked with him, his is a 10, said just about the same as your response.

17 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

This is what I drive, it's a 2006 Kenworth t800 Michigan special. Maximum legal gross with this axle combination is 154,000 so I guess it counts as heavy. The second pic is of the machine that cuts ahead of me. In addition to hauling I also do the road and site prep on our jobs so I do play in the dirt once in a while.

20200916_145329.jpg

20211203_145742.jpg

Hey those log are sitting on the truck the wrong way!!!!  Lots of rubber there, trailer push you around much?

In my much younger years. Don't have a picture handy. I drove a 2594 Letourneau log stacker with 50 ton drivers.

I work for a small local paving company we have our own quarry and sand pit fabricate alot of our own stuff. I'm kinda the floater probably spent the majority of my time in a cat 330bl excavator but basically anything that needs being done I'm usually the prep guy if there is dirt work to be done before paving.  Some days I'm a truck driver loader operator paver operator roller guy spray truck guy exc

1 minute ago, serioussam said:

I have about 25 years in a loader, my favorite loader was the cat 980b and could load 200 loads a day @ 4 buckets a truck. 

YES! Working at a log yard that was the first machine I drove, had log forks handled like a sports car.

14 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

20200916_145329.jpg

20211203_145742.jpg

Buncher crawler, when we go hunting up north we hear the guys working across the valleys, the racket they make it sounds like detroit power, when we are scoping out areas we follow the new roads to the end and they quit for the day leaving all their equipment sitting locked up, hoes, crawlers, skidders, trucks and excavation equipment, probably in the millions, just done with camper door locks, ANYWHERE ELSE there would be a vandalism problem but out there hunters and campers are all there are, same as the trust we have with a dozen guns in our camp and no worries.

how big a tree can you bring down with your rig?

I used to work for a farm drainage outfit that also did sewer and water among other things. I now work for the  State of MN driving plow truck,  run excavator, motor grader and mow ditches. I don't have many current pics  at the State but have a few over the years. The tile plow pics are BRON 550s. The one with the quad trac pulling me I'm plowing in a 10" time main about 5' deep through peat ground and the other one I'm plowing a 4" pressure sewer sub main in 8' deep. A853C8B1-3919-4245-B5EC-35F9F2C3822E.thumb.jpeg.8413d74cb84d4695a1e51a1ed1c1759d.jpegF28C7E4E-B22A-40F0-B655-3017409EE9F7.thumb.jpeg.b5744efbebad46c84e87b446953e2264.jpeg4375A0E8-0882-411D-9612-AAB1E594D38F.thumb.jpeg.ca355f12e8bd9c7cbe8264feca743cf4.jpeg8DC14259-143C-4534-838E-D88B2126A067.thumb.jpeg.98d5d5a9c7347f0c06a5a9d50e61200a.jpegFA44A7A5-B634-40B8-AFC6-F12ECB208538.thumb.jpeg.5b7ac25a7afab8b994e28cf486d9e8d7.jpeg

38 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

I play with trains. Official title is track maintainer, but I put in just as many hours as conductor. Can't actually take pictures while on the clock so going to have to settle for a Saturday still shot.

Snapchat-444530289.jpg

I LOVE trains, mid 50s when I was young I would hang around the train station in new Westminster, it is the old gothic CN style station, no longer a station but has been a restaurant for about 40 years, got the love from my old man he used to ride the rods from cache creek to Vancouver during the depression, my grandfather worked the trains during then through the war years, my one trip of excitement was riding an engine from revelstoke to calgary in the middle of winter, we conned the train crew with a story of new hires going to calgary for work, or we thought we did, in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere the train stopped and the crew came down to our engine and said there was a problem on the track and there needed to be someone standby to inform the next train, we stood there almost bamboozled into believing this, (1965, 17 years old) then one guy says it should be good and no need, big whew on a WTH moment.

1 hour ago, Jess_656D said:

Hey those log are sitting on the truck the wrong way!!!!  Lots of rubber there, trailer push you around much?

In my much younger years. Don't have a picture handy. I drove a 2594 Letourneau log stacker with 50 ton drivers. Tire size 92" x 33" x 35"

That's how we haul them here mostly. There are some guys that pull crib trailers that stack long ways but its still 100" lengths, maybe some 10 foot. We have one smaller truck and pup that is set up with cribs  that we use for hauling anything over 100" but we rarely cut any longer than that.

I definitely know the pup is back there but this one trails very well. 

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Buncher crawler, when we go hunting up north we hear the guys working across the valleys, the racket they make it sounds like detroit power, when we are scoping out areas we follow the new roads to the end and they quit for the day leaving all their equipment sitting locked up, hoes, crawlers, skidders, trucks and excavation equipment, probably in the millions, just done with camper door locks, ANYWHERE ELSE there would be a vandalism problem but out there hunters and campers are all there are, same as the trust we have with a dozen guns in our camp and no worries.

how big a tree can you bring down with your rig?

The head on that machine can take up to a 40" chain saw style bar. I'm guessing it could cut a tree up to 36" or so in diameter. I don't get to play with that machine, it belongs to the logger who cuts for us. I did ride along in the cab with him a week ago and he was cutting and processing a tree on an average of eleven seconds. On a good day he can cut over 100 cords of wood.

For the most part around here people leave equipment alone. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems with our stuff or our loggers stuff getting tampered with. With today's technology with game cameras you would have to be pretty bold to mess with somebody's machine. There are some guys that have cameras to stand watch but they mostly catch wildlife.

I guess I do, was supposed to take out a beaver dam today but it just wasn't in the cards for today. So I got it loaded and in the shed for possibly tomorrow.  The dozer is sitting outside waiting for an oil change.  I just run my own nights and weekends and manage others full time.

KIMG0624.JPG

4 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

I guess I do, was supposed to take out a beaver dam today but it just wasn't in the cards for today. So I got it loaded and in the shed for possibly tomorrow.  The dozer is sitting outside waiting for an oil change.  I just run my own nights and weekends and manage others full time.

KIMG0624.JPG

Pete, i think you and i have a different idea of what constitutes a “shed”

Archived