Winter driving

Lazy WP

I have driven in a lot of winter weather. Back when I was in high school, I took a Dodge Royal Monaco home when they couldn’t get the road grader through.
I have driven in white outs in Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, and about every state west of the Mississippi. I have driven on black ice in close to all those states also. People whine and complain about Texas and their lack of winter road clearing, but NO ONE can compare to Nashville winter driving. WOWSERS!!!!

Glad I am in Arkansas finally!! Another 15 hours and I might make it home.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

The only winter weather equipment they have is the sun 

Sadly I believe that. 50 miles north or 30 west, and it was decent driving. 

I was born and raised in New York and as much as I hate about our state ( mostly the politics and the use of road salt)  I have a great respect for our plow drivers, and the appreciation of the use of road salt!  There is nothing that can compare to the feeling of crossing that PA/NY line in the middle of a blizzard. Our guys know what they are doing!  

My older brother lived in Dallas in the mid to late 80's. When they had snow or ice he just stayed home or be badly injured. They had no idea how to drive in those conditions. 

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I have driven in a lot of winter weather. Back when I was in high school, I took a Dodge Royal Monaco home when they couldn’t get the road grader through.
I have driven in white outs in Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, and about every state west of the Mississippi. I have driven on black ice in close to all those states also. People whine and complain about Texas and their lack of winter road clearing, but NO ONE can compare to Nashville winter driving. WOWSERS!!!!

Glad I am in Arkansas finally!! Another 15 hours and I might make it home.    

when they should have all just stayed home!!

miss the days when the town salt + truck budgets were < $5K for the  year.

cidiotes stayed in the city ,cinders/ash boxs were posted /filled on every hill just after halloween little to no salt was used only after storm/plowing and only for ice.

x parent/adult  stayed home, those that had to go out knew how to drive and used chains appropriately,carried #2 coal shovels.

walked to school if needed, only closed for 8+ " and or < 25* otherwise started the 8 hr shovel out,and then went to next that needed shoveled out before end of month supplies.

2x per day to a week in drifts for plow or grader to come by. now they have snow fence up and salt every two hr if not plow 3x of the 2" drifts

I don't know anything about Nashville and winter driving, having ONLY been there ONE time, 40-45 years ago (NOTHING there that interested me, and NOTHING has changed to make me think otherwise), BUT:

The worst, and most cidiotic winter 'drivers' I have ever seen, were the worthless, stupid F**** along the I-25 corridor in Northern Colorado, too stupid to clean off their windshield, much less their back glass, not to mention their head and tail lights, too stoned to turn on their headlights, stupid fks driving 70-80 MPH in blowing snow, oh, the list could go on and on.  Needless to say, the middle finger got lots of air time.  Too bad that fire the other day did NOT, repeat, DID NOT burn the whole length of the I-25 corridor, from Denver to Ft. Collins to a crisp.

But, from what I have seen/read the clowns in the DFW Metroplex are just as bad.

• Like 1

I plow snow in for the State of MN and believe me, people don't drive as well up here as you'd think they should, especially the first couple snows of the year. No offense to any truck drivers on here, but 8 out of 10 of the accidents we have involves a semi tractor trailer because they think they're bullet proof. Most likely guys from out of state. The worst thing the State did,is adopted a "bare lane" policy where we have trucks on the roads 24/7 if there is any snow/ice on the roads, either from a storm or blown on by the wind in the form of drifting or snow sticking when road temps get above freezing. It's not unheard of to put 25 tons of salt with 200 gallons of salt brine on a 20 mile  route in a 12 hour shift. The reason why I say the bare lane policy is bad is because people have gotten used to driving in good road conditions and when we can't keep up, there are more cars in the ditch than on the road at times it seams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farmer in training said:

I plow snow in for the State of MN and believe me, people don't drive as well up here as you'd think they should, especially the first couple snows of the year. No offense to any truck drivers on here, but 8 out of 10 of the accidents we have involves a semi tractor trailer because they think they're bullet proof. 

There’s a lot of plow drivers who think they are Gods gift to humanity also. Total lack of respect for anyone. 

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

There’s a lot of plow drivers who think they are Gods gift to humanity also. Total lack of respect for anyone. 

Most of the plow drivers I know are good guys who walk through knee or even waste deep snow to make sure people in the ditch are ok. And are just trying to do the best job they can. If they are arrogant it's because they're arrogant not because they're plow drivers. I know there are a lot of good truck drivers out there, I  just thought I'd point out  there are drivers out there who probably shouldn't be. 

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I don't know anything about Nashville and winter driving, having ONLY been there ONE time, 40-45 years ago (NOTHING there that interested me, and NOTHING has changed to make me think otherwise), BUT:

The worst, and most cidiotic winter 'drivers' I have ever seen, were the worthless, stupid F**** along the I-25 corridor in Northern Colorado, too stupid to clean off their windshield, much less their back glass, not to mention their head and tail lights, too stoned to turn on their headlights, stupid fks driving 70-80 MPH in blowing snow, oh, the list could go on and on.  Needless to say, the middle finger got lots of air time.  Too bad that fire the other day did NOT, repeat, DID NOT burn the whole length of the I-25 corridor, from Denver to Ft. Collins to a crisp.

But, from what I have seen/read the clowns in the DFW Metroplex are just as bad.

People that don't clean their windshield is one of my biggest pet peaves. I had a lady in a minivan pull out in front of me when I was driving an mx270 with a loaded manure spreader behind me. She had a small area the size of a piece of paper scraped off on her windshield. I had to take the ditch to avoid hitting her. I was all fired up and full of adrenaline so I chewed her ass right there in the road.

If you come up through here supposed to be freezing drizzle tonight and into tomorrow morning.