1468 PTO question

706German

I’m restoring a 1468 and the PTO control valve is spring loaded and wants to stay in the on position.  Is there an internal detent that may be broken?  I’m wondering if I’m bottoming out at the detent and need to tap it down to free up the detent.

first photo is all the way up and second photo is all the way down (or at least as far as it will freely travel)

I don’t feel any detent to hold it down like on my 706’s.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I just started it up and checked it, you are correct that while running it will hold itself down, however, the PTO spins in both positions, up and down.  Does this mean I need to rebuild something or adjust pressure?

32 minutes ago, 706German said:

So I just started it up and checked it, you are correct that while running it will hold itself down, however, the PTO spins in both positions, up and down.  Does this mean I need to rebuild something or adjust pressure?

You need to check both clutch and brake pressure. If pressures are good. Clutch and brakes are both probably bad

What you have is the incorrect pto for that tractor. That is a later 86 series pto. The spool pushes down to turn on pto vs pulling up to turn on. The linkage you have will not work correctly to turn it on. 

That tractor had either no pto, or 1000 only when it was new. Then they swapped that dual speed into it. 

You can try to find the lever and linkage from a 1566. I believe they would be correct.

Thanks Dan,

The unit currently in the tractor is a single 1000 speed PTO.  The linkage you can see in the photo, I just bought and put on the tractor trying to figure it out.  The tractor originally came with a cab and had a PTO handle on the left side of the seat with linkage connected directly to the spool valve.  

Not sure you have the correct linkage for that PTO design usually the left hand cab lever can still be used without a cab even

That is the conclusion I came to last night.  I will go back with the original handle and linkage.  When I get back to the shop tonight I will check the pto to see if it will turn by hand and check the pressures on it.

I have a rebuild kit in the shop, so it will likely be coming apart.

44 minutes ago, 706German said:

I have a rebuild kit in the shop, so it will likely be coming apart.

Keep in mind that the rebuild kit for that style of pto is different....

Travis

Travis,

I have a rebuild kit labeled as follows:

PCK720 PTO Clutch Disc Gasket Kit for IH 706 806 1206 756 856 826 1566 1568 1586

Part # PCK720

CONTAINS:

Part # 68803C91 PTO clutch kit:

(9) A-381489R3 plates

(7) A-381490R1 discs

Part # 77720C94 PTO seal & gasket set

For dual speed PTO assembly, kit contains all lip type oil seals, o-ring seals & gaskets.

For the following models:

IH TRACTOR: HYDRO 100 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: HYDRO 186 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1026 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1066 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1086 (Serial # 48000 & Above W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1206 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1256 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1456 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1466 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1468 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1486 (Serial # 26000 & Above W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1566 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1568 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 1586 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3088 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3288 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3388 (Serial # 10385 & Above W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3488 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3588 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3688 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 3788 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 6388 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 6588 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 6788 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 706 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 756 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 766 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 786 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 806 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 826 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 856 (W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 886 (Serial # 17000 & Above W/ INDEP. PTO)

IH TRACTOR: 986 (Serial # 24000 & Above W/ INDEP. PTO)

Do you think this kit will work, if not, do you have a recommendation on what to order.

2 hours ago, 706German said:

Travis,

I have a rebuild kit labeled as follows:

PCK720 PTO Clutch Disc Gasket Kit for IH 706 806 1206 756 856 826 1566 1568 1586

Part # PCK720

Do you think this kit will work, if not, do you have a recommendation on what to order.

I have no idea who you got that kit from. You need a kit for a pto with hydraulic brakes. Considering your pto is over 40 years old I'd replace every single o-ring and seal in it. 

I use Hy-Capacity rebuild kits. One for hydraulic brakes would be part # 877720B.

Travis

Alright guys, I am not convinced that this is not the original PTO.  I will get some more info tonight when I get to the shop, but I may have provided bad data by assuming up position is on and down position is off (because it is currently spinning in both positions currently). 

I just went through every photo of 1468 PTOs that I could find and I noticed a majority of them appear to have an external spring next to the linkage bracket that holds the PTO in the down position.

All of the photos below are from 'auction result' websites.  All photos are from 1468s.

This spring may be the missing component, or it may be the wrong PTO....stay tuned.

PTO 2.png

PTO 6.png

PTO1.png

PTO3.png

PTO4.png

PTO5.png

PTO7.png

18 minutes ago, 706German said:

Alright guys, I am not convinced that this is not the original PTO.  I will get some more info tonight when I get to the shop, but I may have provided bad data by assuming up position is on and down position is off (because it is currently spinning in both positions currently). 

I just went through every photo of 1468 PTOs that I could find and I noticed a majority of them appear to have an external spring next to the linkage bracket that holds the PTO in the down position.

All of the photos below are from 'auction result' websites.  All photos are from 1468s.

This spring may be the missing component, or it may be the wrong PTO....stay tuned.

Luckily....many of us on here have a trained eye and can tell you right now that the pto you have in your tractor should push down to engage/turn on.  Most tractors like yours pulls up to engage.

Travis

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Luckily....many of us on here have a trained eye and can tell you right now that the pto you have in your tractor should push down to engage/turn on.  Most tractors like yours pulls up to engage.

Travis

I suspected that from the get go

Fine, I will submit.  You guys could have let me hope at least for a minute.  I will admit, I am here to learn from your knowledge, so all advice so far is much appreciated.

Now we are moving on to the unit needs to be replaced.  Would 381512R91 be the correct part number I need to find from any of these models:

706 806 1206 826 1026 756 856 1256 1456 766 966 1066 1466 1566