Sledgehammer

Stihl oil here. Extended warranty on the saw if I bought some of the oil so it was a no brainer to me and I just stuck with it. The stihl 2 stroke and bar oil really isn't much more than other brands if there's a competitive dealer around

In the sleds I used to run whatever but now any of them are not that cheap so I just stock up on brp oil when it comes on sale

4 hours ago, acem said:

I do know people who put 2 cycle oil in their diesel fuel.

Thx-Ace 

thought about this today, as it has been too muddy to finish and put things away

but didnt want to START "an oil debate"

for actual 2c ,use NOS of xyz bulk from <20 yrs and

pump gas(crap ) <10 hrs year as nothing else is available and canned would be $20 g IF they shipped.

several yrs since in store.... apparently it does ship for discounted !!!! $65 gal !!! from azscam us off

https://www.amazon.com/Stihl-7010-871-0203-MotoMix-Premixed-Fuel/dp/B072QDS83Z

wanted to ask INJ p which to put in diesel for storage? and running,  we do the bio + stabl $.25 gal + additive $.20

wanted to circle back as to stuck engines ..atf + acetone...however it has been noted atf has no lube quality (outside of AT)so oil would need changed out.

to prevent stuck,for over winter/long term everything gets bearings lubed and top end coated with s30w...others?

4 hours ago, acem said:

I do know people who put 2 cycle oil in their diesel fuel.

Thx-Ace 

thought about this today, as it has been too muddy to finish and put things away

but didnt want to START "an oil debate"

for actual 2c ,use NOS of xyz bulk from <20 yrs and

pump gas(crap ) <10 hrs year as nothing else is available and canned would be $20 g IF they shipped.

several yrs since in store.... apparently it does ship for discounted !!!! $65 gal !!! from azscam us off

wanted to ask INJ p which to put in diesel for storage? and running,  we do the bio + stabl $.25 gal + additive $.20

wanted to circle back as to stuck engines ..atf + acetone...however it has been noted atf has no lube quality (outside of AT)so oil would need changed out.

to prevent stuck,for over winter/long term everything gets bearings lubed and top end coated with s30w...others?

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. Stihl, Husky, whatever is on the shelf when I need to mix some. I've actually never given it a second thought.

Bar oil usually TSC or whatever on the shelf when I need it. I went through a bit when heating with wood; what I have on hand now will last way into the future.

When I was a kid the Saab owners would hand a quart out the window as they pulled up to the pump. If the didn't have their own it was simply a quart of the cheapest per tank of gas. Most folks now don't know that Saabs were 2 stroke cycle cars back in the day.

I will add that I have always mixed with non-ethanol gas. I think that is far more important than which oil you mix with. Currently I am using 91 octane in all my mixes and small engines because that is what is available. 

I only run high quality non-ethanol gas in anything 2-stroke, (or anything else that sits a lot). If it was going to turn over in a couple of months or less I wouldn't have a problem with the ethanol but sitting for long periods of time, no.

My small engines will not run on ethanol,  mixed or straight.  Even the non ethanol fuel only lasts 2 to 3 weeks straight before engines will not run on it. 

I use mixed fuel every couple fills on my Kohler 1 cylinder Cub Cadet mowers. Today's fuel is too dry.

As far as the gas goes, the regular, ethanol blend gas here sure doesn't last long. In my sleds I like to run premium, ethanol free in them. Last year I ran premium in all but 1 sled. This winter when I fired them up those 3 fired right up. The one that I put regular gas in would not fire. I had to drain the tank and dump in fresh gas then it fired first pull. Old gas that was in it was about 8 months old I guess

At work we run ethanol free gas for the saws and seem to have less issues. But at home I use regular gas and don't have any trouble either so I don't know. But our mixed fuel doesn't sit long either

I know you said you don't like Stihl, but from about 25 years of flying model airplanes and running outdoor equipment it's some really good oil.   

The engines in these planes run on 2Stroke oil and regular gas same as a chainsaw or weedeater, but cost a lot more.   I've yet to ever have a problem caused by oil in the fuel.  Over the years I've seen lots of engine damage from some other oils which is usually caused by an engine running a bit lean, and without a good oil to help it can over heat and score the cylinder.  

I use the same fuel jug for these as I do my chainsaw etc and the only thing I do different is I add a cap full of Marvel Mystery Oil to a 2.5 gallon jug of gasoline along with the Sthil Ultra silver bottle. 

The MM oil seems to help with carbon deposits in the cylinder and I've found that to be true in the Kohler air cooled engines in my Cub Cadets as I run a little in straight gas in them as well.  

Desert Aircraft makes the best model airplane engines in the world and they will only guarantee two oils to be run in their engines.  They recommend redline oil, but will also warranty Stihl ultra.   The big orange and yellow planes had this engine in them.  https://www.desertaircraft.com/collections/da-engines/products/da-170  and you can see what they cost, which is only about a 1/3 of the total cost of the airplane so I'm very very picky about 2 stroke engine oil.  

Just my two cents worth, but for anything outdoor power or model airplane I run Stihl Ultra at it's mix rate and a touch of MMO just because it makes me feel better! :)

Harley2-XL[1].jpg

KAT Giles.jpg

KAT.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I know you said you don't like Stihl, but from about 25 years of flying model airplanes and running outdoor equipment it's some really good oil.   

The engines in these planes run on 2Stroke oil and regular gas same as a chainsaw or weedeater, but cost a lot more.   I've yet to ever have a problem caused by oil in the fuel.  Over the years I've seen lots of engine damage from some other oils which is usually caused by an engine running a bit lean, and without a good oil to help it can over heat and score the cylinder.  

I use the same fuel jug for these as I do my chainsaw etc and the only thing I do different is I add a cap full of Marvel Mystery Oil to a 2.5 gallon jug of gasoline along with the Sthil Ultra silver bottle. 

The MM oil seems to help with carbon deposits in the cylinder and I've found that to be true in the Kohler air cooled engines in my Cub Cadets as I run a little in straight gas in them as well.  

Desert Aircraft makes the best model airplane engines in the world and they will only guarantee two oils to be run in their engines.  They recommend redline oil, but will also warranty Stihl ultra.   The big orange and yellow planes had this engine in them.  https://www.desertaircraft.com/collections/da-engines/products/da-170  and you can see what they cost, which is only about a 1/3 of the total cost of the airplane so I'm very very picky about 2 stroke engine oil.  

Just my two cents worth, but for anything outdoor power or model airplane I run Stihl Ultra at it's mix rate and a touch of MMO just because it makes me feel better! :)

Harley2-XL[1].jpg

KAT Giles.jpg

KAT.jpg

Those are some BIG RC! There used to be a guy who flew a model of SST in a field near me. He was GOOD, crisp inside and outside maneuvers, multi point rolls, etc.

You guys are impressive pilots.

The biggest comment on this this thread is that 2stroke oil is for 2 stroke gasoline engines not Diesel engines.  There is Diesel fuel additive with injector/ pump lubricant which is designed for that purpose.  I’d hate to see people have injectors all sooted up on their diesel tractors.

On 1/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Rainman said:

Works for me...for low hour use.... 20220104_092524.thumb.jpg.3035b16265ed92c9e1149842af148b72.jpg20220104_092539.thumb.jpg.a9d5d9947c2aaa032d8d0f70a97b5122.jpg

that's what i run... and i put seafoam in the prescribed dosage in the 5gal tank that the non ethanol gas and synth stil 2-stroke oil go in... has worked for me.