McCormick-Deering 10-20 dating information

A question for people who know their way round 1920 to 1939 McCormick-Deering tractors, particularly the 10-20 & 15-30.

Where do I look for Casting Codes and Engine serial numbers on these old tractors?

I have learned from experience of that serial number plates are either missing or unreadable on these very old machines.

I know that casting codes didn't exist before 1931 but engine serial numbes can help approxiamately date a tractor.

Regards from Michael H.🔧 in Australia.

5 hours ago, rustred said:

crawl under it and look up at the front on the transmission housing. it the date month and year is stamped right there. 

I'll try that. I remember my uncle used to have an restored 10-20. I was told it was a 1926 model, the serial number plate was missing, but underneath I found the stamp you mentioned. From memory it said "TW ?? ??26" which may mean "Tractor Works ?? 1926"

1 hour ago, Michael Halsall said:

I'll try that. I remember my uncle used to have an restored 10-20. I was told it was a 1926 model, the serial number plate was missing, but underneath I found the stamp you mentioned. From memory it said "TW ?? ??26" which may mean "Tractor Works ?? 1926"

it will look like this...... 03-22-28 which is  march 22 1928 as an example. i was gonna take a picture of mine but was too busy. try tommorow.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, rustred said:

crawl under it and look up at the front on the transmission housing. it the date month and year is stamped right there. 

I have found it. The tractor is a 1930 build. That tag, once I cleaned the grease off it, reads "*.18.30", The first digit is unreadable.

The serial number plate is missing but I found the engine number KC 178315, which suggests 1930 build year.

Regards from Michael H. 🛠️

• Like 2