See it all now.

756puller

I was attached to a USN LST that has 4 of those EMD engines, just imagine the sound of a 4 engines running at full governor for many hours while you were  watching gauges.  Real diesels at work! I was not an engineer, I stayed out of the engine room underway.  Sounded much better from my place in the CIC.

That is too damn close to me. 🤔

Spose I could run it up HWY 61 in the middle of the night:ph34r:

Harder to hide from the wife than the last 656 I slipped in amongst the rows of red down below.............😇

Looks like I gots me a conundrum😄

5 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Harder to hide from the wife than the last 656 I slipped in amongst the rows of red down below.............😇

What did Motley Crue sing “loaded like a freight train and flyin like an aero plane”  I’ve seen that decal on the back of semi sleepers.  Not sure they were talking about real freight in the song but anyhow.....

33 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Guns 'N Roses Wasn't it?........and yup...a bit different topic was covered :) 

Yeah, you’re right. That was Axle Rose.  Good call 👍🏼  Haven’t listened to that stuff in a few days.....

14 minutes ago, brahamfireman said:

Emd GP9. I bet it barely brings 25K. Those things are pretty much scrap metal at this point. We've got one at work,  it does its job but barely. 

What is its job? Is it just a yard machine?

2 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Gheez      KWRB........next thing you will   extolling  Hank Snow's virtues     ""Movin' on "'    etc.....however..I could cope with his songs....:)

Mike

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Your conundrum if you acquire it would be what bridge you are going to use and which hill you have guts enough to go down. Your lovely bride won’t mind, much, but you would dang sure be the talk of the hills. 

Not too late for a few load modifications while they are still  working on the bridge, he may need some construction equipment for grade changes, should be easy to hide that stuff behind a locomotive 

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

should be easy to hide that stuff behind a locomotive 

Heck he wouldn't have to try and sneak it into the red row right away. Hide it behind locomotive then when she's gone put new tractor in red row and them have space for next item. LOL

1 hour ago, KWRB said:

Pretty much lives at one of the industries we serve. It switches out cars every other day or so. It doesn't work hard enough anymore to damage itself, but we'd all love of it if it would give up the ghost. 

15 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Your conundrum if you acquire it would be what bridge you are going to use and which hill you have guts enough to go down. Your lovely bride won’t mind, much, but you would dang sure be the talk of the hills. 

I think you might need to borrow a 6X6 from the fire department to help the Dodge out when you get to the Snake!! Forgot you could come in from the west and only have to worry about the hill by your house. 
I will bring beer and goodie’s to watch it go down the hill. 
Galloway’s all did that when they came to rescue me off the side of the hill!!🥴

19 hours ago, oleman said:

I was attached to a USN LST that has 4 of those EMD engines, just imagine the sound of a 4 engines running at full governor for many hours while you were  watching gauges.  Real diesels at work! I was not an engineer, I stayed out of the engine room underway.  Sounded much better from my place in the CIC.

USS San Bernardino LST-1189 here. Yep, very impressive sound. I was one level below you in Radio Central. June ‘73 to December ‘76.

Side note:  I was thinking 6 V16 Alco’s and 1 V8 Alco generator. The 16’s produced some where around 16,000 hp. Very massive engines. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:33 PM, sandhiller said:

The trick is to get them dirty fast 

A few months ago there were about 50 locomotives for sale on Big Iron.

From all over the south and western US.

If I remember right, were owned by UP.

I suppose they had all been depreciated out, not needed, so whatever they get is gravy.

Wonder how many went to the scapper?

34 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

A few months ago there were about 50 locomotives for sale on Big Iron.

From all over the south and western US.

If I remember right, were owned by UP.

I suppose they had all been depreciated out, not needed, so whatever they get is gravy.

Wonder how many went to the scapper?

I think they were deprecated out and it was going to cost more to bring them up to the current EPA Emission standards than they were worth. 
A couple years ago, I bet there were 100 locomotives sitting on the sidings out there by Bridgeport Nebraska. 
Then there were a bunch at Manhattan Kansas. Can’t remember where I saw a bunch of them the other day. 

Everyone needs a locomotive 🤷🏻‍♂️

Archived