shingles question

pt756

Hello,  any of you ever had the shingles? i know of at least 3 close guys i know had it and they suffered, one even got it in his eye, been thinking about the Shingris shot for a long time, postpones it at least 3 times, finally today got the first dose, kind of got a little sore arm out of it, but the pain i saw these guys go thru, couldnt even put a shirt on, had to have pain medication, i am going to be 65 in less than a month anyway, they claim once past 50 you are eligible,

I’ve had it back in 2003 and got on Valtrex and gone in a few days. My wife got it a couple years ago and she got valtrex and was also gone in a few days also. A couple friends have got the Shingris shot and made them very sick both times, one was out for a week. So glad yours was only a sore arm.

Havnt got the shot(im only 42) but have seen the suffering... the eyeball stuff scares me quite a bit.

Can u get the shot after u have a break out?

Had them in almost 20 years ago.  56 now.  Never felt anything like it.  Affected top quarter of my head.  Across my eye, half my forehead.  Made my hair hurt.  Would lay in bed, and just see stars flashing.  Like fireworks.  Most painful thing ever.  Only good thing to come out of it was that within a week, my two girls had the Chicken Pox.  Both at the same time.

Have since gotten the shot (double).  That hurts almost as bad.

I’ve heard different stories over the years. If you had chicken pox as a child, the risk of shingles later in life is almost nonexistent. But have heard the complete opposite, from some people. 

Smart move to get the shot. I had a "mild" case and don't want it again.

Shot's been around for years and well proven. Generally just a tender arm for a couple of days.

Here's the latest one that my wife received. It's a two shot regimen. I got an older, one shot that's not as effective but expect to get this one. I asked for it when I got my booster but the pharmacy was out straight: https://www.shingrix.com

3 minutes ago, Lars (midessa) said:

I’ve heard different stories over the years. If you had chicken pox as a child, the risk of shingles later in life is almost nonexistent. But have heard the complete opposite, from some people. 

The only way you can get shingles is IF you had chicken pox - it's the same virus still in your body that somehow reactivates in a painful and sometime dangerous rash and body pains. You can loose sight if it gets into your eyes.

Kids today, or at least most of them, have been immunized against chicken pox thus will never get shingles and have no need for a shingles shot. Refer to the Shringrix link above.

From what I have heard from people that have had it.

YOU DON'T WANT IT!

Very painful and uncomfortable, miserable.

......OK, while I am typing this a Shingrix commercial comes on the tv.........This NSA surveillance stuff is out of hand. 

Time to get my tinfoil hat back from BS

432482729_tinfoilhatbrit.png.fc3c652d11eb5c119e0d76608c31691b.png

Not sure why Cash just ran from the room☹️       😅

1907762391_tinfoilhatdog.thumb.png.a14aa42cb5c61a485ee69a5ed47846a5.png

Never mind the words at the bottom......aliens put them there......😄

• Like 1

my folks got the shot, dad had it then got the shot later mom never has had it yet - my gma had it all the time poor thing, didnt have shots back then for it, she walked aorund in bed sheets she made for herself to be more comfortable - i remember mom helping her dr it all the time 

Mild case twice only on upper left chest. Family doc at the time hinted that stress helped open the door for a flare up

Toughest man I know had it halfway around he said he never felt anything like it. Same guy has had third degree burns and 3 back surgeries,

I should probably go get the shot

was  at local lumber yard yesterday, guy that waits on  me is 60, told him what i had done, said he is scheduled for feb. had it recently, got into his eye, a trip to eye doctor every day, was on top of his head, said it felt like needles being pushed in ,

I had them back in the 80's very painful I remember the old timers talking about them but they never let on about the pain seems they are around a lot now days they lasted about 4 or 5 days then dried up and never had them again 

I got them right at corn planting time back when I was 59, I'm now 73. I had them on my stomach around to my back on the right side, I was miserable for nearly 2 months. Being as I'm a one man show I had to tough it out and go on. Doc gave me Valtrex and oxycontin, only took one oxycontin as it made me hallucinate.

I had them the last half of corn picking in 2019.  I was 48.  Hard to explain the discomfort just sitting  in the seat of the combine.  From mid stomach to mid back.  Sometimes it felt like a million needles.  Sometimes a big knife.  Sometimes it just was on fire.  Lots of pain meds.  They gave me some pills.  First week was awful.  It lingered a month.  I have not gotten the vaccine.