Gehl feed grinder parts availability

Reichow7120

I know Gehl got out of the farm equipment game a number of years ago now and that some parts for some parts are getting harder to come by. Just wondering, how bad is it getting to get parts for this equipment?

There is a feed grinder for sale not to far from us. Gehl 120. Not bad looking from the pictures but would have to go look in person before any decisions were made. Just wondering what parts are available for them before we decided to go look at it or not. Don't want to spend money on something. Break it than can't get what we needed to get it going now. We run into this now on the old Farmhand grinder we're running now.

I think that I asked and found this dealer on the forum here, back when I bought a neighbor's widow's MX125 and wanted new hammers.  Real good seeming folks and they sounded like they had parts for every mixer brand and model, if the parts could be had.  My impression from talking with them is that they'd give good advice on sustaining a brand and model long term.  

http://www.woodlakellc.com/ 

There were real helpful on the phone and knew that mixer and my old NH355 real well.  I told the fellow on the phone that I ran the NH355 with any tractor here, including the 544 or even the M Farmall.  He said, "you won't run that Gehl with anything like that... you'll need near 100HP to run the Gehl."  And he was right.  Twice the hammers at 66 means that anything you put in grinds in a moment, versus being able to work between the hammers and grind over a few seconds with the NH355.  I tried running some sage grass hay thru the Gehl and one 3-4" block (flake) of that took my 1066 to idle.  Too slick.  But, it was crap hay on value anyway.  That's the only negative, and it's only a negative if you don't have a tractor in mind with 90+ HP to run it (and you have to have a type of hay that grinds easily).  I have a Massey 4253 that runs it well enough at 85hp at the PTO, but it likes the 1066 better.  So far as running shell corn into it from a gravity wagon and the pickup auger, man, it's crazy fast.  

I needed a bearing for the hammer mill last summer and dealer I went to had everything on hand that I needed. This was on a 125 but probably the same mill as a 120.

I thought H and S made a grinder that looks like a gehl a few years back. I think I seen it at the Farm power show in Des Moines.

I wouldn't be worried on parts for a gehl

X2 on the parts from Gehl since we were dealers i still have a loyalty too Gehl and have been able to get any parts i have needed.Whether H& S's grinder is exactly the same or not i'm not sure but it shares a lot of parts from what i saw. The 100's through the 170's gave very little trouble,from my experience.

WoodLake is about a half hour away from me, they use to jockey grinders but not sure how much they do anymore.  

@Reichow7120 we got a mixer auger stub shaft for the bottom gearbox this spring from Gehl for out 95..... actually pretty reasonable too.  It stripped out the splines that go intonthe bevel gear and we thought that would be the final nail in the coffin for that old girl and hear NLA.  

If you go after that 120 really really check out that bottom mixer gearbox and the unloading auger setup.  As wore out as ours is that's the only 2 problem areas we ever have.  That vintage of hydraulic drives arentbreally great either as theres still a mess of bevel gears for the unload.  The 100s/125's etc later ones got it right and have direct motor drives, but they are literally double if not triple the price too.  

The mixer market just plain out sucks, it's the only thing worse to buy and overpay in more than a vehicle now.......

On the 120 we had the bottom bevel gears that throw the tank unload auger in gear got to be a pain. To remedy the problem on ours I put a hydraulic motor on the top of the tank unload auger and plumbed it into the line coming off the other unloading auger.  The way it worked was the long auger would start a second or two before the tank unloading auger started.   Never had any problems unloading after that. Don't know about all of them but ours had its own hydraulic system on it.

A bit off topic, but just curious. Does anyone still manufacture grinder mixers? I haven't seen a new one in years. I had a JD 400 and a JD750. Around here, JD and NH were the most common.