Truck tire help

New Englander

My ancient dump truck has 9.00-20 tube type on Dayton lock ring rims. I'd like to get away from the lock rings as some tire shops don't like to deal with them and although I can change them I'm just not up to the bull work anymore. I even had some kid say "those are split rims and illegal". No, they're not split rims and they're not illegal, they're lock ring and just a pain.  Back in the day there were no tubeless and we wrestled with lock rings and inflation cages.

Anyway, a little research suggests that 22.5 Dayton rims will work on my spoke wheels. I'd like to confirm that. There are way more 22.5s out there in good used condition. My truck has steer tires all around and I chain it up for my wife to use to plow the drive when I'm on the road. The trouble with that is once chained the truck is single purpose. Having a good traction type may let me leave the chains off.

Another question: 10R22.5 seems to be the direct exchange for 9.00-20. I've found lots of 11R22.5s for sale. They're just a little taller but I wonder about width. The 9.00-20s run close to the springs - the chains sometimes lightly hit. Could the 11R22.5 run too close even without chains? I think the 9.00-20s are an oversize as it is.

TIA

I can measure the width of the 11/22.5. A metric or low profile might serve you better. 
The old digger truck I had up north had 8.25/20 on it. Couldn’t find any of them, but there were some 11-20 already mounted on an auction. Put them on, no problem 

• Thanks 1

Yes the 22.5 rims will fit your Dayton hubs, seen it many times. My advice would be to talk to a tire dealer about mounting some junk 11R22.5’s so you can see how they fit the truck before you buy new ones. Or like @jass1660 said have them mount up some 295/75R22.5’s and try those.  

• Thanks 1

We went to 11.00-22.5 on the front of the old dump truck from 10.00-20. Should be no issue getting them, they are about as common as crack heads, they might be a little tall for your truck, but depending on engine/gearing , that could be beneficial .

2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

10R22.5 would be the modern equivalent of a 9.00-20.  10R22.5 is a very common school bus tire size.

How many dozen would you like?  I can fix you up with rims as well that will bolt right on.  The hardest part will be getting the old rims off of the spikes if they are at all rusty!!!

Ha! Thanks, Shipping probably would be tough😄. I'm going to visit the truck salvage yard. Sadly the Portsmouth one closed some years back as the land value skyrocketed. There's one a few towns away.

I found some 11R22.5 on FB marketplace but no good looking 10R22.5.

6 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We went to 11.00-22.5 on the front of the old dump truck from 10.00-20. Should be no issue getting them, they are about as common as crack heads, they might be a little tall for your truck, but depending on engine/gearing , that could be beneficial .

Yeah, I think the 11s would be too big and might hit the springs. I think the truck may have had 8.25s originally. I noticed the speedometer reads a couple miles low compared to GPS. I don't go over 55 anyway.

My C70 has 11.00-20s but I think this C60 started with 8.25s

I can't run 10.00x20 tires on my 1600 loadstars because they rub the bed when loaded and are awful close to the springs, or did they hit???

Anyway, 11r22.5 are common for Daytons but 10r22.5 are rare round here. I'm kinda in the same boat... 

I just cleaned and painted two rims for new 9.00x20 tires. When I buy new 9.00x20 tires they last me for decades.

Thx-Ace 

1 hour ago, acem said:

I can't run 10.00x20 tires on my 1600 loadstars because they rub the bed when loaded and are awful close to the springs, or did they hit???

Anyway, 11r22.5 are common for Daytons but 10r22.5 are rare round here. I'm kinda in the same boat... 

I just cleaned and painted two rims for new 9.00x20 tires. When I buy new 9.00x20 tires they last me for decades.

Thx-Ace 

Ace, When I bought this truck it had six new Michelins on it. I'll never wear them out!

Someone in Mason,N.H. is advertising used truck tires and wheels on Craigs. They have a lot of them in the pictures. I don't know how far that is from you. As far as the tire chains rubbing I often run just single wheel chains on the outside tires. Drive the inners up on some 2 x's and install chains on outers and you are done.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, ihrondiesel said:

Yes the 22.5 rims will fit your Dayton hubs, seen it many times. My advice would be to talk to a tire dealer about mounting some junk 11R22.5’s so you can see how they fit the truck before you buy new ones. Or like @jass1660 said have them mount up some 295/75R22.5’s and try those.  

My top kick dump truck this is what I did. 295's are readily available and yes they are on dayton wheels. I took off a set of Firestone 9.00/20's. Side by side they are almost the same height. My thing is with an old gas truck I didn't want to lose power to a taller tire. Need all I can get. 

7 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

My top kick dump truck this is what I did. 295's are readily available and yes they are on dayton wheels. I took off a set of Firestone 9.00/20's. Side by side they are almost the same height. My thing is with an old gas truck I didn't want to lose power to a taller tire. Need all I can get. 

Thanks for that. Yeah, my truck is no powerhouse - it's old and 55 is fine with me. I've become more patient on the road, except with red light runners who get a blast of horn from me.

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

Thanks for that. Yeah, my truck is no powerhouse - it's old and 55 is fine with me. I've become more patient on the road, except with red light runners who get a blast of horn from me.

If your driving limited miles and on a budget I have found matching recap drives for very reasonable. I think the last set of matched tires I ran were like $100 each and they were still probably 70% tread. Now I know retreads aren't for everyone. Properly inflated I've had no issues yet. Maybe my day is coming. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:10 AM, New Englander said:

My ancient dump truck has 9.00-20 tube type on Dayton lock ring rims. I'd like to get away from the lock rings as some tire shops don't like to deal with them and although I can change them I'm just not up to the bull work anymore. I even had some kid say "those are split rims and illegal". No, they're not split rims and they're not illegal, they're lock ring and just a pain.  Back in the day there were no tubeless and we wrestled with lock rings and inflation cages.

Anyway, a little research suggests that 22.5 Dayton rims will work on my spoke wheels. I'd like to confirm that. There are way more 22.5s out there in good used condition. My truck has steer tires all around and I chain it up for my wife to use to plow the drive when I'm on the road. The trouble with that is once chained the truck is single purpose. Having a good traction type may let me leave the chains off.

Another question: 10R22.5 seems to be the direct exchange for 9.00-20. I've found lots of 11R22.5s for sale. They're just a little taller but I wonder about width. The 9.00-20s run close to the springs - the chains sometimes lightly hit. Could the 11R22.5 run too close even without chains? I think the 9.00-20s are an oversize as it is.

TIA

Said dump truck with 295/75/22.5's on dayton wheels. Truck came with 9.00-20 lock ring wheels. I picked up the rims for $50 each. As you can see my fronts haven't been changed yet. I had new steer tires and I'm waiting for them to wear first. 

20210929_165659.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, acem said:

I think the last 9.00x20 tires were just over $200 new. I can install them myself. Getting the old ones broken down can be a problem with 30+ year old tires though.Thx-Ace 

Must of been some time ago ACE. The cheapest no name tires I can find are like $300 now for drives. I was looking for 10R's for the back of the truck above. My dealer told me if I can get by without for a while do so. They increased so much recently he said it was horrible. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

If your driving limited miles and on a budget I have found matching recap drives for very reasonable. I think the last set of matched tires I ran were like $100 each and they were still probably 70% tread. Now I know retreads aren't for everyone. Properly inflated I've had no issues yet. Maybe my day is coming. 

I doubt I put 1000 miles a year on my truck. It mostly hauls stone for our drive, less now that half is paved, wood chips and mulched leaves to the transfer station during fall cleanup or if I trim any trees, and plows the drive. I used to haul logs for firewood but no more. I've got no problem with caps on the drive wheels, especially at the speeds I drive it. It's a '79.