Chain saw question 029 farm boss

pt756

Hello there, i have a 029 stihl farm boss, probably 30 years old, however usually only cut firewood for shop, lately it has been acting up, you can grab it off of the floor give it a few pulls will start right up and seems to run fine if you keep it going at higher rpms doesnt seem to want to idle down well, will start to flood itself out ?  then after it dies it wont start, wait awhile, clean up some then it might go again, awhile back the compression was checked, guy said 60 pounds, however at high speeds it runs well and a person can cut a lot of wood, after about a half of tank then it wants to rest, could it be somehting electrical getting warm? or a carb problem?  I did finally buy a different saw, a 63 cc efco,  like to keep the stihl going , once in awhile you get a saw pinched in a tree, nice to have a backup. thanks

2 minutes ago, pt756 said:

Hello there, i have a 029 stihl farm boss, probably 30 years old, however usually only cut firewood for shop, lately it has been acting up, you can grab it off of the floor give it a few pulls will start right up and seems to run fine if you keep it going at higher rpms doesnt seem to want to idle down well, will start to flood itself out ?  then after it dies it wont start, wait awhile, clean up some then it might go again, awhile back the compression was checked, guy said 60 pounds, however at high speeds it runs well and a person can cut a lot of wood, after about a half of tank then it wants to rest, could it be somehting electrical getting warm? or a carb problem?  I did finally buy a different saw, a 63 cc efco,  like to keep the stihl going , once in awhile you get a saw pinched in a tree, nice to have a backup. thanks

60 psi of compression is really low.  Pull the muffler off and take a look at the piston and ring.  Might be scored or might just need a new ring.

from your description I would also be suspicious of the crank seals or an air leak somewhere.  Look at intake boot fuel and impulse lines. Sounds like it is time for a well deserved rebuild.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wisconsin Ron said:

029/ms290 were terrible for fuel line cracking and leaning out and scoring piston. For a spell i couldn't get fuel lines from stihl to last. Last bunch I got have been holding up. 

Took a while to get old stock of non ethanol fuel lines used up i bet. 

When you hold it by the pull cord and let go of the saw what does it do?

I've got a farmertec carb nib, exhaust gasket, oem take off coil/plug wire you can have for shipping.

Verify flywheel is not stripped and changing timing around.

If that compression reading is even close to correct you need it all.  Double that is ok but getting low.