what I found on the 400

ny bill o

I took the RH brake apart to put in the new oil seal. This is what I found. 

1672372467_2003-02-0914_55_44.thumb.jpg.9f99ad99980a7056dc2b17e981e5b85c.jpg

I'm having trouble getting the snap ring out to get to the bearing. Does the whole cage need to come out? 

I fished around with a magnet on a stick, in the old oil, and only found another piece of the bearing cage. Guess I will have to drain the new oil out to look for the missing balls. Found one ball that was sheared in half, in with the pieces of the bearing cage. Really don't want to take the platform off the tractor.

Comments? I still like the 400.

• Sad 3

You can access inside by pulling PTO and belt pulley.  With PTO out you can see if any other bearings are bad.

The pinion should pull out just as you have it, probably in a bind, maybe raise rear wheel to rock pinion back and forth to help pull it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superih said:

You can access inside by pulling PTO and belt pulley.  With PTO out you can see if any other bearings are bad.

The pinion should pull out just as you have it, probably in a bind, maybe raise rear wheel to rock pinion back and forth to help pull it out.

I'm thinking that the transmission case has to come off, then remove the axle so the bull gear on that side slides off the axle and away from the pinion gear then the pinion cage can come out 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

I'm thinking that the transmission case has to come off, then remove the axle so the bull gear on that side slides off the axle and away from the pinion gear then the pinion cage can come out 

Picture of a 400/450 rear end I was stripping parts off of

IMG_20211218_152251729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211218_152257338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211218_152300865.jpg

IMG_20211218_152305539.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

NONSENSE!!!

Get the “gas axe” out and take it apart however you want!

(Assembly MIGHT be a bit more difficult though!!!)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, superih said:

No reason to pull the cage just to get the pinion out, the pinion is probably bound up because the bearings have went out

Ok. I don't remember enough the order needed to remove what. I have been wrong before and this won't be the last time either.

Good news for you Bill on the 400 you still like

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitty said:

2 hours ago, mmi said:

once the first seal holder/brg ret is removed it will pull out but expect resistance

further investigation/repair, requires a top pull as shown

2010_0814Image0017.JPG

201082812.JPG

While I am at it, I think I will take the air cleaner and LF front tire loose. Maybe the fast hitch, too.

Retainer that has the inside brake disc face comes off then most pinion shafts will slide out by hand. It has some pry slots on the parting line between it and differential carrier housing. Can be tight coming out. I use a made up slide hammer and screw it in the threads in end of pinion shaft and pull pinion gear and retainer plate at the same time.  Noticed you already have the bearing retainer off. Unless you need the differential bearing replaced or differential removed, put the bolts back in the carrier housing.  unless you have a ling rod with 5/8 fine threads on it. Weld a bolt to rod and a cap and put something heavy to slide on rod. Clean threads in end of pinion shaft and screw rod in if shaft is stuck hard. IH used to instruct using a extra brake disc cocked on splines to pry out. Never had good luck with that on difficult ones myself.  Disc brake tractors let the pinion shaft be removed and installed without removing carrier housing or bull gear Dave

Edited by DWV
Add more info