A Sound Pleasing To The Ear, Doing A Job Pleasing To The Soul

Art From Coleman

I don't know who that guy is, but he's got some pretty cool old IH stuff. There's a 76 Harvester-Thresher in one of his videos that's just nearly immaculate, and I'm insanely jealous of the M&W 450 that he has running it. I've watched a lot of his stuff on YT, thanks for sharing this one!

Mac

He was really gittin after it! We cant pull 4 bottoms with our super M in our ground.....at least not very deep.

• Like 1

He’s getting it done. Beautiful soil, nice and dark, not a hint of clay. Sounds like he’s going wide open throttle, that’s the way to do it. Maybe it’s just me, but so many of these videos it’s sounds like everybody is afraid to open up the throttle? Engines sounds as if they are lugging horrible, why are people afraid to open up that throttle?

Probably afraid to open it up because they have never been there, day in and day out like some of us have.  I ran an old Allis WD on a 2 bottom pull type a couple of years while growing up while Dad pulled 4-16's mounted with the 706.  Sometimes he let me run the 706 while he went and milked the cows just so we could keep the plow going.  And we ran both of them wide open!

4 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Sounds nice! Dad had an M when I was young with the M&W pistons in it. Dyno tested 55 HP. Gave the 560 gas something to worry about. 😄

We have a Super M (264) and a 706 gas (263).  The 706 will outpull the Super M ONLY because its weighted so much heavier.  If they were weighted the same, I think the Super M might beat it.  

706 is more fuel efficient, though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

Probably afraid to open it up because they have never been there, day in and day out like some of us have.  I ran an old Allis WD on a 2 bottom pull type a couple of years while growing up while Dad pulled 4-16's mounted with the 706.  Sometimes he let me run the 706 while he went and milked the cows just so we could keep the plow going.  And we ran both of them wide open!

We had a 656 gas on a 710 4/16 auto, I plowed several thousand  acres with it when I was kid over the years,with corn,beans,wheat and alfalfa ground not to mention what my dad,brothers did.It ran full bore wide open 100% of the time because it had to and never blew up.It had one TA in it.

yes doing a good job but that thing is no stock M . he has the rpm turned up and oversize rear tires looks like 16;9's  plus that camera man must be pooped out running behind unless he was riding along side. plus it looked like he was in 4th gear. but it might be a 4/ 14 plow.

My jalopy-looking old M puts out 55 hp on the dyno and it can pull 3 bottoms in 4th. I don't know why people are afraid to run a tractor. They're governed, I run 10% over stock, won't hurt it a bit to run it all day like that. Good oil flow, bearings not starving. Looks like 15.5s on some wide rims to me. Good sound. I love a big 4 cylinder. 

10 hours ago, rustred said:

yes doing a good job but that thing is no stock M . he has the rpm turned up and oversize rear tires looks like 16;9's  plus that camera man must be pooped out running behind unless he was riding along side. plus it looked like he was in 4th gear. but it might be a 4/ 14 plow.

Yep, M, SM, M-TA, 400, 450 all rated to run 1450 full load, that sounds closer to 2000 rpm.  Young girl posts lots of videos of Bill's tractors on Facebook and she says he's running in 2nd gear going that fast.  In old corn ground we ALWAYS ran in 3rd with M, SM-TA, 450.  Running in 4th with a straight M really increases the load on the pilot bearing between the input shaft of the trans and the top sliding gear shaft. Some guys experienced breaking the end off the sliding gear shaft due to the extreme side loading from running in 4th.  Was about 1967, I'd done most of the plowing with 450 and Case 4-14 pull plow with Midwest plow harrow, Dad set out a couple lands with the '51 M and 3-14 IH #8 plow across the fence from the 40 of old corn ground I finished one morning. I came into Dad's field, old hay ground, dropped into 2nd with 450, it struggled with the plow harrow, would only run as high as 1400, eventually started running warm. I shifted back into 3rd, pulled the TA back and ran that 4/10's mph slower and engine easily ran 1450, temp dropped back to normal. But we didn't like running in low side of TA all the time. Dad and I swapped tractors, The '51 M still had stock gears in it, 5 mph 4th, and the 4" M&W Add P'wer sleeves & pistons, I made a round or two in 3rd, had to gas up and pulled back into the field and shifted into 4th, it barked a little harder but ran 4th gear just fine.  It did get the Super M gear set a year or two later, faster 2nd, 3rd, & 4th, 3rd was 5 mph then, 6-1/2 mph 4th.

Will say one thing about Bill's videos,  they sure make me think I should buy a couple of Bermuda Ken's stainless steel OEM mufflers, Those videos are what REAL tractors should sound like!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:31 PM, Red Collector said:

I believe he's quite a collector of M & W products, as well. He always has a very impressive display tent at the Half Century of Progress show. Several nicely restored Farmalls featuring about any M & W improvement you could think of.

You are correct. He has about every M&W item known to exist. Puts a tent up at HCOP and shows them off on tables and on tractors. His wife is the one doing video. I spoke with her somewhat by accident at HCOP last summer and found that out. Very pleasant woman who knew quite a lot also. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Yep, M, SM, M-TA, 400, 450 all rated to run 1450 full load, that sounds closer to 2000 rpm.  Young girl posts lots of videos of Bill's tractors on Facebook and she says he's running in 2nd gear going that fast.  In old corn ground we ALWAYS ran in 3rd with M, SM-TA, 450.  Running in 4th with a straight M really increases the load on the pilot bearing between the input shaft of the trans and the top sliding gear shaft. Some guys experienced breaking the end off the sliding gear shaft due to the extreme side loading from running in 4th.  Was about 1967, I'd done most of the plowing with 450 and Case 4-14 pull plow with Midwest plow harrow, Dad set out a couple lands with the '51 M and 3-14 IH #8 plow across the fence from the 40 of old corn ground I finished one morning. I came into Dad's field, old hay ground, dropped into 2nd with 450, it struggled with the plow harrow, would only run as high as 1400, eventually started running warm. I shifted back into 3rd, pulled the TA back and ran that 4/10's mph slower and engine easily ran 1450, temp dropped back to normal. But we didn't like running in low side of TA all the time. Dad and I swapped tractors, The '51 M still had stock gears in it, 5 mph 4th, and the 4" M&W Add P'wer sleeves & pistons, I made a round or two in 3rd, had to gas up and pulled back into the field and shifted into 4th, it barked a little harder but ran 4th gear just fine.  It did get the Super M gear set a year or two later, faster 2nd, 3rd, & 4th, 3rd was 5 mph then, 6-1/2 mph 4th.

Will say one thing about Bill's videos,  they sure make me think I should buy a couple of Bermuda Ken's stainless steel OEM mufflers, Those videos are what REAL tractors should sound like!

good info, i remember in the early 1960's dad was plowing with  his w6 and john deere 3/16 plow.  the john deere sales man came to sell him a 3020 while he was plowing.  they used to drive around the country trying to sell stuff. so dad took him for a round while plowing. he put the w6 in 4th gear and made one round. then told the sales man i dont need a john deere.  then it was after that he bought his 560 ih in 1967.  i used to disc with it when i was 10 years old. i actually have one of those stainless steel mufflers on my 560 farmall. they do turn brown from hard pulling.