question on 856 light switch

pt756

i am not very good with electrical problems but i get by just barely, i think the light switch is bad now, we have replaced all the lights with leds, so we do have less trouble, question i have is, on the switch how can you know which tab is the main power tab? it looks to me that the very top one is the main power tab? thanks, 

The one that is Hot, when the switch is off.  Also has a heavier gauge wire going to it I believe.  Would be the simplified version. I’ve replaced  several, can’t say I’ve ever paid attention to their orientation.   If you had one not hooked up and had to start from scratch, it will only work one way, and you can’t hurt it.  Most guys say to cut the resistor coil out of the center and discard it. 

Switch I looked at was IH, but can’t say how old it was. It was used, not original ‘70s though I’m sure. The BAT was stamped near one of the spade rivets, between it, and the center of the backside of the switch. I’ll see if I have a new one here. (For what they get for them…I probably don’t.)