distillate cylinder head

dieselman

well bought some more parts at a collector auction, got a nice original hood for a m distillate with good paint and also a rebuilt head with casting # 8777 da, looks like new valves and seats and also plained, is there any value to this head or is it just a boat anchor? i believe they are lower compression than the stock m gas head.

3 hours ago, dieselman said:

well bought some more parts at a collector auction, got a nice original hood for a m distillate with good paint and also a rebuilt head with casting # 8777 da, looks like new valves and seats and also plained, is there any value to this head or is it just a boat anchor? i believe they are lower compression than the stock m gas head.

You might find a buyer, lots of folks who want to restore and aren’t looking for more HP. I gave 400 for a gas head as you describe, planed, valve job with new roto-caps, etc. thought i had one heck of a bargain. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Those heads and heat shields are becoming wanted as many want their tractors back as "Period Correct".

I had an M heat shield in my hand but I needed one for an H.

I think I sold the M one on SleazeBay and then lucked out and found an H one in Iowa for a C note.

That is now on my Dad's H and is complete, less paint.

If you find a manifold, they are prone to wear through from the years of heat, so buyer beware.

Do not try and loosen the heat setting flapper as you will destroy the manifold.

The only way I would try to clean one up would be with the old lye hot tank.

But that can open another can of worms.

Best only plane it for straight to the head and bolt it on.

7 hours ago, Frank H said:

Nobody I know ever wanted a distillate head. I couldn't give one away. The one on my M will get replaced with a gas head, then anyone on here can have this distillate head for free. I bet there won't be a taker.

Where are you located?

Same here. I have that head in as-removed condition, that I don't want to throw away. It's just a trip hazard now. If anyone wants it, it's free for shipping costs.

not that it matters - i have a 1944 JD ALL FUEL that runs on distillate - will NOT be going back with distillate head/manifold or carb - it will likely just sit on the bench. I have every part for it including the actuating rods and a good set of shutters for transitioning from gas/distillate. I have run it on gas/distillate ( actually kerosene ) then mixed with donut oil and french fry oil and you can smell it when you get it HOT and turn loose the juice. its a fun novelty but you have to drain the excess to get the proper odor. You can run it on about any oil with a lil gas or anything mixed in the tank. I am done with that, gonna run it on gas and give it a few more onions when it goes back together. I plan to use it here at my hobby property for a primary tractor for mowing so want the extra HP - I dont hear of many guys in the JD circles restoring them with the original stuff unless they are collectors. 

Well my tractor has run on gasoline for years and it is a distillate system. I just would like it to be as original as I can make it. With the cost of kerosene being what it is I don't think that I would ever run distillate again. Though I am not about to change the head or anything else. It is still a small workhorse for me and so ifIt will run and work as it is then that is how it will stay.  LOL although having the hole in the exhaust side go away would be nice. 

On 1/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, Swamp Steel said:

Been looking for the manifold for the distillate m or w. would like to know if you have a lead on a good one with the shielding. thanks for any help

sorry just have a manifold for the gas head

On 1/5/2022 at 1:16 PM, Swamp Steel said:

south central Lafayette

OK, I'm extreme NE corner near a town called Kilbourne. I technically live in Arkansas on the North side of the Stateline by about 200 yards due to my long private drive. However I still work in LA and that's where my kids go to school.