86 series weathervane

Wi Ih

5 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

Its a die cast tractor and I thought the original ones were plastic tractor.

image.jpg

We had one of those on top of our house when we lived in NW Mo.  The guy who put our lightning rods on offered to put it up there and I took him up on it.

We lived about 40 miles from Maryville, MO at the time.  Must have been an outfit there that made 'em.

There is one just like it a few miles from me. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing them at toy shows way back when.  Somebody was making them and selling them.  I don't think it was a company,  rather a small hometown type craftsman who put them together.

It is 100% early 80s Ertl 1586 (spun on front wheels, no loader casting mounts).......likely added to a weather vane kit.

We had one on the shed when I was a kid that was from the ih dealership. I called the guy in town here that owned the ih dealership here and he said they had a couple different models(tractors) of weathervanes and 88 series one cost them over $300 when they came out, said he wish he still had it. 

86 series and then a 40 series Deere were popular wind vanes around here.  Don't know who made them but it looked like an ertl toy.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, Steve C. said:

We had one of those on top of our house when we lived in NW Mo.  The guy who put our lightning rods on offered to put it up there and I took him up on it.

We lived about 40 miles from Maryville, MO at the time.  Must have been an outfit there that made 'em.

7 hours ago, Pete1468 said:

86 series and then a 40 series Deere were popular wind vanes around here.  Don't know who made them but it looked like an ertl toy.

They were Ertl metal tractors.  I figured the guy who put mine up made it, but this thread leads me to believe he didn't.

1 hour ago, junkandcattle said:

Robbins Lightning is still in Maryville but I think it was their weathervane with the tractor added

Whoever did it drilled a straight hole.

• Like 1