IH T4 Steering Clutch Reassembly - Thoughts?

kpowl

I am in the process of replacing the steering clutches on my T4 and have a couple of questions/concerns. When I got it the clutches has seen a lot of moisture and they were in bad shape. The pressure plates were completely shot and one of the throw-out bearings was locked up. I decided to replace the works.... backing plates, drums, new plates, pressure plates, brake bands and throw out bearings. I got the clutch packs re-assembled and adjusted them per the measurements in the book.  I re-assembled everything over the weekend and with the shafts in place the complete clutch pack can slide approx. 3/16" side to side on the shafts. Is this normal? Also, should the throw out bearing be in constant contact with the fingers on the pressure plate (mine is not)? I have not but the linkage pieces on yet between the levers and the arm on the release shaft or adjusted the brakes yet because I wasn't sure if the side to side play is normal. Thanks for any information that can be offered.

image.thumb.png.1e777688f92e2714c22106adc44ff1da.png

you wouldn't want the throw out bearing touching unless clutch is being applied on any machine. I don't have this model so I don't know about the end play.  Someone will. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Never worked on one but that setup on the parts manual seems similar to all the gas starts, offhand I would say no, I don't recall that much freeplay once everything is assembled, I recall everything was fairly solid and the clutch fork pressed on part 8 not the bearing itself, the clutch pack has to be fairly solid to transfer power through it and also steadfast to open up when lever is applied but it is all bolted solid together to transfer power