BLM

searcyfarms

BLM - Black Locust Mess

thats right this is the same place I worked last spring for a week mulching and eliminating trees/brush. They grew back some 10 feet tall from april to now. You got it - they had a spray rig come in and hit them with brush killer so I am cutting then out again. 

In regards to the Kubota vs Cat machine I ran in the spring, the Cat is cleaner, quieter and smoother - both about the same on power I am guessing running a lil different mower tho on the kubota so not a true apple/apple test. The kubota is horribly noisy hydros.

clearing 1.jpg

Clearing 2.jpg

Clearing 3.jpg

clearing 5.jpg

clearning 4.jpg

clearning 6.jpg

clearning 7.jpg

clearning 8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I think your looking at it the wrong way sounds like a great future business potential,  that is some crazy year old growth 

oh yes - those roots on the black locust are relentless takes a while to get them killed out - people dont realize how quick things can get away from you when it comes to these trees in CRP ground

or a biomass plantation we have some old farms on northern Maine where they grow something like that and harvest it every year for biomass ls to wet for anything else they harvest it with a chopper like a silage chopper with a lot more pony's

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, acem said:

You sure they are black locust?

Round here I get honey locust. All the thorns but won't make a rot resistant post...

Thx-Ace 

i thot they are black locust?  yes they have thorns so cant run tractors thru to mow them, no good smells like honey locusts either maybe the young honey locusts dont smell good like the older ones? 

Around here the "tree of heaven" is serious pest.  It stinks but does not have thorns. It grows like a weed. Runs a sticky sap that gets on equipment stored under it and attracts flies about like pig manure! 

When I first started commercial mowing I had multiple horns in ever tire on the mower from honey locust and bo'dock.  The airplane 14 plys helped  the fronts. The 13.6 X 28 6 ply still pickup thorns.  We were contracted to a landowner who agreed to pay the cost of tire repairs from  cutting his overgrown pasture.  Few people around like that!  We added the repairs to the bill and he wrote out the checks.

• Like 1

I’m sure Tordon would probably do the trick, it is however restricted use so you need to have a card to buy it. Tordon has about a 3 year residual so you have to be careful where you spray it, but where you are dealing with CRP it should work well. We have trouble with Russian olive trees around here, after we cut them we paint the stumps with Tordon, if you skip that step you just get tons of little trees growing back.

• Like 1

yes they will grow up like asparagus and iris bulbs or those dang ditch lilies ( tiger ) we have a ton of wild plum here too you have to keep those under control too but they are much easier to control with mowing 

More feedback for the kubota - my second full day in the seat in it - i would not buy one - very noisy in cab, not sure if its the hydros or cab itself can barely hear the radio over them even turned up loud - more dirty than cat think i might have said that already - cant put fuel in it very easy w/out raising the loader arms, who's idea what that ? - way more grease points on it - engine runs warmer and have to regulate your work speed on a 50 degree day ? uh no.......... and yes i cleaned out EVERYTHING this morning before starting in regards to radiator/oil cooler/ac condenser/engine compartment vents - i had the AC wide open all day barely cool enough to tolerate it, i ran it for like an hour last fall when the owner first got it just to try out the new mower and it was 80 and i was sweating in it - i have heard this with kubota compact tractors and the kubota CTLs. I can confirm it, not good airflow. Seat was not conducive to all day work vs cat seat.  

IF I had to ride one all day every day it would not be an orange one, other notable it makes some violent klange/bang/pop at times in the front end, i think with the weight of the heavy mower it might be binding the tracks when trying to turn tight at the end rows - never noticed that at all with the cat and I ran it a full week - both machines were right at 1100 hours 

I havent ran one of the new bobcat units or a new deere, they both havfe smaller cabs so not sure i would like them so will have to see