Carb Confusion

Mel

Hello, folks.  I'm having a little trouble with a Zenith carb.  It is on my '41 BN.  I was going to clean it and put it back on, but when I pulled if off, fuel ran out of the hose from the oil bath air cleaner, so I'm going to do it right and rebuild it.  Here is/are my issues.  The parts catalog says it is an 161x7 (IH number 52499DB.)  My carb tag says the Zenith number is 12613A and OEM number 375560R91.  I can find those kits, I think, but the list of numbers is mind-boggling.  I also feel that I'm not dealing with an original carb.  Did they have dates on them?  The intake side has a 3-63 number cast on it.  The tractor is not a distillate tractor.  No evidence of it ever being one.  I think I'm reading the parts catalog correctly.  Maybe not.  Do you have a favorite source that possibly has a knowledgable person there to help or would just showing up at NAPA with the carb be my best bet?

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

pull the carb apart first. it maybe the float is sticky or has a hole in it.  or needle and seat.  soak it overnight in carb cleaner once you get it all apart. the float wont come in the kit any how so a tear down is a must to find the culprit.   get carb info from caseih. your number has R91 at the end so its an ihc part number.

• Like 1

Compression test and cleaning the air cleaner will happen, thanks for that tip.  I wasn't sure it was a stuck float, as it didn't spew gas just sitting, but I guess it or the needle/seat could be sticky.  Is it not worth replacing everything else while I have it apart?

She was running great until I switched the distributor out for a rebuilt magneto.  She ended up sitting for a few months while that took place and has been running rich ever since I got it back together.  I was trying to make it a fire issue, but I feel certain that is not the case now.  The last several times I tried to fire it from cold (no choke and 1/3 throttle), it soaked the plugs and puffed black smoke like it was flooded.  If it does start, it chugs and puffs black the whole time and soots up plugs in a few minutes.  That's what lead me to look at the carb once I eliminated spark and air issues.

Top photo by your thumb is an indentation that should allow any gas to weep out of the carb if it floods.

That appears plugged as to why there was gas in the carb when you pulled the air cleaner pipe.

You are facing a learning curve and that is how one gets good at this.

Take the top of the carb to either NAPA or IH Dealer.

Look for the oldest guy there.

If the person has an ear ring, look elsewhere.

A carb kit and float should be easy to get.

Will probably need to be ordered though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:22 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Look for the oldest guy there.

Pfft. Even that doesn't work.

Went to a NAPA in one town with a simple 3500lb trailer hub seal. The old guy behind the counter (no ear ring) asked if he could help. He took one look at it and snarled at me, "I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THIS!"

Took it to a different NAPA in another town. Youngest guy in the store pulled out a set of vernier calipers and the seal cross reference book. In under five minutes he had identified my seal and had four new ones on the counter for me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Pfft. Even that doesn't work.

Went to a NAPA in one town with a simple 3500lb trailer hub seal. The old guy behind the counter (no ear ring) asked if he could help. He took one look at it and snarled at me, "I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THIS!"

Took it to a different NAPA in another town. Youngest guy in the store pulled out a set of vernier calipers and the seal cross reference book. In under five minutes he had identified my seal and had four new ones on the counter for me.

Not all youngsters fit the stereotype. There are some pretty sharp ones out there.

16 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Not all youngsters fit the stereotype. There are some pretty sharp ones out there.

Always has been, always will be, but the vast majority will still lack experience. Nobody has taken the time to show them the ropes. Their training consists of putting on a red/blue/green shirt and being taught to say, "Welcome to Auto Zone/NAPA/O'reillys."

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Always has been, always will be, but the vast majority will still lack experience. Nobody has taken the time to show them the ropes. Their training consists of putting on a red/blue/green shirt and being taught to say, "Welcome to Auto Zone/NAPA/O'reillys."

Matt, that applies to everywhere! I complain about lack of training at work all the time. Doesn't seem to make any difference, we just muttle along. Most places just don't want to make any investment in their people.