606 smoke and no power

rfh129

I have a 606 diesel that has a lot of smoke and no power. I tried without the air cleaner. Set the valves. Still smokey. Motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago. Have put reman injectors in it. Should I take the pump off and have someone check it? Drop pan and check bearings or strip the engine down?

Thanks.

well i would be looking into the pump the first thing. what is your definition of no power? under full load they only have a grey haze when working. and the pump is set to factory spec's. tearing down the engine has nothing to do with your problem. cant see it so i would say a compression check also is a good idea. a tuned up worn out engine will still have power.

It cant run itself up a small hill in road gear. Has a loader I use to load hay in the field and the smoke gets brutal. I tried to do a compression check but the gauge set up I have only goes to 140 psi and I cant really read it jumps so fast. The gauge did jump pretty good though and shot a nice puff out of the glow plug holes. The more throttle you give it the worse it runs. Starts pretty easy for these motors. I have a 282 in a 706. Could I swap pumps between tractors? To see. I could check static timing. One time and not saying it started then but the front axle pin came out and the axle busted the oil cooler off. Thought if i had a bad bearing maybe that would rob power.  

Thanks

Over the 10 years since the overhaul have you used starter fluid (ether)? If so the rings will have a lot of blow by. 

We had a 350 diesel that lacked power. The only way the previous owner started it was using a half of a can of ether. Once we got the pistons out found a few of the rings broken. 

Best of luck to you and let us know what you find out!

I had a 606 D, once the front axle pin came out when its "keeper" broke and it worked its way out. Front of the tractor sat down on the crank pulley, put enough pressure on it that the engine would barely turn over and would hardly run.

Is the return fuel line clear and make sure the air intake is clean and free of obstructions. Black smoke and no power sounds like all fuel and no air. 

13 hours ago, Rfh said:

It cant run itself up a small hill in road gear. Has a loader I use to load hay in the field and the smoke gets brutal. I tried to do a compression check but the gauge set up I have only goes to 140 psi and I cant really read it jumps so fast. The gauge did jump pretty good though and shot a nice puff out of the glow plug holes. The more throttle you give it the worse it runs. Starts pretty easy for these motors. I have a 282 in a 706. Could I swap pumps between tractors? To see. I could check static timing. One time and not saying it started then but the front axle pin came out and the axle busted the oil cooler off. Thought if i had a bad bearing maybe that would rob power.  

Thanks

yes you can change pumps to eliminate the pump. with a bad brg. you would not notice it power wise. it would be knocking then fly apart . a bad brg. you are increasing the clearance. yes definitely check the static timing first though. if the return check valve was plugged it would just be dead and no power or smoke. fully  clogged it will not run. the advance mechanism might not be working either. could be just a gummed up pump. i have removed the primary filter and poured some conditioner right in the filter housing along with in the tank also. that did the trick for me. mine was gummed up from sitting for years.  start it and go from idle to wide open throttle to get the governor loosend up quite a few times. then go on the road and do the same thing. worked for me.

14 hours ago, Rfh said:

Thanks

you need a gauge that goes to 500 psi at least. you should have compression in the range of 350 - 375 psi.  a gas engine compression gauge wont work.