Tractor of the week # 36 544

INTERNATIONAL 1466

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I was even aware they existed was going through C H Wendel's "Nebraska Tests" book-  the Farmall Hydro diesel with NF and flattop fenders caught my eye.    Ever since, I've always sortakinda wanted a gear drive diesel but the rare times I see one for sale it's halfway across the country. As brewcrew's dad said, they seem to be the ultimate version of the old M.

12 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Don’t forget about the pic of one pulling a cyclo on the whitehouse lawn

This would be a great combo…. The 544 hydro and the cyclo 4 row planter. Even an IH truck in the background, maybe a Fleetstar?

image.jpeg.3bf70e48fd4b8a51832c21a20960607c.jpeg

Don't have a pic. but dad's first new tractor was a 544 utility with a 2000 loader.  Mid to late 70's he bought another one only this one was a hydro. We put the loader on the hydro. The gear drive was on gutsy little tractor for its size. Still several around mid mich. In there work clothes

my uncle now my cousins have 2 544 gas gear drive wide front row crop. with 3 16's on 544 and 4 16's on 666 gas they would keep up and they handle nice.

pete

Looks like the diesels had 2/3 of the D358 engine.

I got this from Dragoons in up state New York about 10 years ago only had 3200 hours on it I will pull the cab and restore it next winter and it will go on hay rake duty for the rest of my life has been plowing snow for the10 years and works super Hydro is like new and motor starts and runs nice

20211213_103834.jpg

8 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I got this from Dragoons in up state New York about 10 years ago only had 3200 hours on it I will pull the cab and restore it next winter and it will go on hay rake duty for the rest of my life has been plowing snow for the10 years and works super Hydro is like new and motor starts and runs nice

20211213_103834.jpg

Sweeeeeeet!

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

20211213_103834.jpg

More pics please, what cab?

18 minutes ago, superih said:

More pics please, what cab?

The dealer put this together new for a local town in 1968 with a year-around cab and snow plow the cab is pretty crusty around the floor and mounts they did a nice job on the install but time has taken its toll I wouldn't put the time into it but it runs super with a strong Hydro no 3 point but has PTO and two sets of remotes will make a good haying tractor

2 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

20211213_103834.jpg

I don't think there was many year around cabs put on a utility 544 only one I have seen

I have not had any luck finding a set of rear fenders But I saw a 544 utility at a show that had a set of 656 utility fenders on it and looked sharp

5 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I don't think there was many year around cabs put on a utility 544 only one I have seen

3 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

I like it just as it is.  It IS a survivior, and does not appear to have been beat all to h3ll.

Thanks Art the problem is as a snow plow tractor it sits all summer and thats taking a toll on it I think it would like to live a little

5 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Looks like the diesels had 2/3 of the D358 engine.

Correct...the D-239 German diesel. The gasser was a C-200, which was 2/3 of a C-301 which was used in the 806/856 gas, 715 gas combines, and other IH applications.

Seemed like the C-200 had a bad habit of cracking cylinder heads; part of that was that they were used as haying/loader tractors around here. Those tractors tend to build up hay around the radiator/cooler area, so they probably tended to overheat.

I've often wondered what the $$$ difference was between a similar-equipped 544 vs. a 656 at the time; that may have been one of the reasons we had so many 544s around here. Also, guys probably liked the 544 diesels better than the 656 diesels since they didn't have to mess with those ^%$##* glow plugs that a 656 had.

My old service manager used to talk about many 544 Gas Hydro owners used to complain how they stumbled/sputtered coming off of low idle....IH had used a bigger venturi in the carburetor on the Hydro models to get them some extra HP at the cost of poorer throttle response. He used to put the venturi from a 544 gear drive in place of the 544 Hydro venturi for better overall engine response. Like he said, the tractor probably would show less HP on a PTO dyno with the smaller venturi, but nobody was concerned about HP on a cattle-feeding tractor.

Man, take off a day and everybody's posting pictures of my girl.  ha.  

My dad bought this in '69 when I was 4yr old.  That pic's from this year.  Does a lot of raking, some post driving (the Shaver driver was put on it in about '73, I think -- I usually take it off if it's a long time between fencing, and it needs took off now).  

Pop nearly traded the 544 in when he got a cab tractor of another color, and I told him let me buy it from him.  No, if I wanted it, he'd keep it here.  After he passed on, some really skilled fellows that had worked at a dealership for many decades near here some years ago went through the fuel system and really got it running great.  

It'll be here at the estate sale when I go.  I told a young man at a equipment yard (that his dad owns) the same thing about Dad's old 12Valve Dodge , "It'll be at the estate sale when I go."  He said, "I'll be there."  Funny.  

IMG_8556.JPG

Archived