5288 dual pto conversion

My 52 only has 1000 pto. Bought a dual speed unit probably for 56-66 series at an auction for 150. Early style, pull spool to engage. Just wondering if the outer plate and 540 shaft and idler would fit on the center housing of the 5288 pto? Otherwise I'll just rebuild the dual speed for a spare for our other machines. Thanks, Robert 16392615782702745815932114775746.thumb.jpg.2e11b2f516791101b5b368b3fdad6e8e.jpg

Can buy the back cover aftermarket to make the dual speed. Use your 88 center section. Idler gear, shaft etc and 540 gear and shaft and bearings. Buy new 1000 shaft for a dual speed 88.

That has the shorter 540 shaft as well. I'm not sure I ever put one together with the short shaft. A regular shaft for an IH dual speed unit will work, is a little longer than an 88 or Mag unit but is no problem.  

Gonna have a couple hundred bucks in it for new parts plus your unit but is doable.

• Like 2

You're just a little late- I picked up a new dual speed cover from abilene machine for $250 shipped on their black Friday sale.

42 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

What are you wanting to run on your tractor that is 540 I'm curious 

My baler is 540 and my hydroswing used to be but I converted it to 1000.

14 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

My baler is 540 and my hydroswing used to be but I converted it to 1000.

Have you thought about using an adapter on the 1000 shaft to use on 540 ? I've did that before Some makes of round balers you could switch to 1000 by turning the gear box around Not sure what type of baler your referring too It would be cheaper and easier to change the baler than the tractor if that the only implements you have that you use

4 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Have you thought about using an adapter on the 1000 shaft to use on 540 ? I've did that before Some makes of round balers you could switch to 1000 by turning the gear box around Not sure what type of baler your referring too It would be cheaper and easier to change the baler than the tractor if that the only implements you have that you use

Not a round baler but I've done that with my fertilizer spreader. Royal pain in the butt!!!! I switched the dash to read 1000 pto speed and when it was at 500-540 I was at 1200 engine RPM. 1200 rpm isn't going to pull much up our hills, I was CONSTANTLY on and off the throttle trying to maintain pto RPM. Never again, easier to unhook something and use the right shaft vs the adapter. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brahamfireman said:

Not a round baler but I've done that with my fertilizer spreader. Royal pain in the butt!!!! I switched the dash to read 1000 pto speed and when it was at 500-540 I was at 1200 engine RPM. 1200 rpm isn't going to pull much up our hills, I was CONSTANTLY on and off the throttle trying to maintain pto RPM. Never again, easier to unhook something and use the right shaft vs the adapter. 

Ok well that the operators choice , you can always throddle down but you can never go up on PTO usage Still the best option is to change the baler then if he's already changed the swather pto speed

3 minutes ago, acem said:

Here's a previous discussion. It would be nice if someone did a nice writeup on this we could make sticky. Thx-Ace 

What do you have to change concerning linkage requirements too the old units were engaged differently than the late 86 series thats something I haven,t seen mentioned here yet

23 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

What do you have to change concerning linkage requirements too the old units were engaged differently than the late 86 series thats something I haven,t seen mentioned here yet

You don't have to change anything. The 88 center section is still used and that has the hyd connections in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

I do use an adapter on the fertilizer spreader like mentioned in the past but there is no way I would have enough HP to pull the baler doing that.

I don't know what it would cost to convert an RB560 baler to 1000 but I guarantee it is more than it costs to convert the pto to dual speed. The driveshaft alone for the baler is over $1000 and you can't just flip the gearbox on these. 

30 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

I do use an adapter on the fertilizer spreader like mentioned in the past but there is no way I would have enough HP to pull the baler doing that.

I don't know what it would cost to convert an RB560 baler to 1000 but I guarantee it is more than it costs to convert the pto to dual speed. The driveshaft alone for the baler is over $1000 and you can't just flip the gearbox on these. 

On John deere's its much less

48 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Here's something worth looking at if your certain you need 540 on your tractor 

5288 pto conversion kit.jpg

Where can I find that     I ordered one a while back from ASAP or abalen don’t remember.  But they sent my money back, said they didn’t have any. And was unsure when they would get any. 

33 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

In addition to the cost switching to the 1000 RPM components, your long term operating cost will go up as the 1000 PTO CV on those balers has about 60% the life of the 540 PTO CV and the 1000 will cause more vibration when it begins to loosen up.  You will be money ahead in the long run to make 540 available on your tractor.

• Like 1