Not a fencerow find, maybe a seawater find🤔

IHhogfarmer

This interesting photo was brought to my attention on Facebook yesterday. I’m sure some have seen it but this was taken 17,500 below the sea surface. It’s a 1941 IH still chained to the deck of the USS Hornet CV-8 which was lost on October 27th, 1942 during the battle of Santa Cruz Islands. 

Anyone that knows the Military tractors know what the model is? Looks similar in size to a W-4 or a smaller model for ships. Great picture just wanted to share. 
3E810A45-D7A8-4EAD-9762-318BD981FB9A.thumb.jpeg.f49961273e64ddee4686166af600bb2c.jpeg

• Like 4

@Sledgehammer that’s what I was meaning by something smaller than the W-4. The shop mule and the one on the ship have the same International Harvester Power decal. Steering column and fenders all look a like. I’ll bet your right. 

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Seen that picture, and it never gets old! Thanks for posting! It is just amazing. 

When I saw it on FB it was the first I’d seen it and I thought it was so cool! I’m a big history buff.

• Like 1

A lot of U.S. navy warships were sunk around the Guadalcanal Island area after the August invasion of the island by U.S. Marines. It seems like the fight to death by our Navy and Marines against the Japanese army and navy in the months to follow. 
Seeing that tractor chained down on the flight deck of the Hornet seems eerie and strange to be in such good condition after almost eighty years.

• Like 3

Near picture to see again.  Definitely 303 wonder bucket.  Then I could join the lawsuit and have them restore it for me.

All kidding aside I don't use attorneys more then I have to and I don't plan on being involved in any lawsuits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

Wonder what a current production Farmall 45 would look like after 80 yrs on the ocean floor

Dissolved?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Where's Lorenzo when you need him......

I haven’t been on here a lot the last month and a half or so but have him and MTO even been on here for some time? Kinda miss them

Its funny how the hornet is at 17,500 and these pics show what hasn't happened and the titanic is at 12,500 and is being eaten away and collapsed in some parts, here are a few other shots, one is a 1.1 inch anti air gun and the wildcat has the wings folded, I'm not sure but I think the other is a B17.

uss-hornet-wreckage-06-ht-jc-190212_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

uss-hornet-wreckage-05-ht-jc-190212_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

SteveJones-Vis-2456-Edit-8.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

......something   unbearably    sad about those pictures........................

Mike

If one takes the time to contemplate the violence and loss of life and limbs that occurred so long ago to make these relics we now observe, then yes very much so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

......something   unbearably    sad about those pictures........................

Mike

I disagree in part, the life and resources that were lost are terribly sad, however had these ships not sunk they and the equipment they carried would likely have fallen to the torch decades ago, as it is they lie there as a memorial frozen in time untouched for decades, the men who secured them to the deck were the last to touch the still intact chains, etc. there is something very special about that. Real time capsules they are, and unlike monuments on land they are safe from the fickle whims of the current generation of activists. 

• Like 8