Speaking of British diesels

vtfireman85

Had a fuel leak, traced it down to a leaking injector on #3 was able to tighten the injector up, though it wasn’t really loose. It also wasnt charging, the ammeter was pretty well trashed, I replaced it for starters, and it showed no charge, i showed  15 V on the generator but only 12.6 at the batteries (they had been on the charger) flashed the generator (no simple task on these) still nothing. The generator hasn’t ever been gone through since before 87’ if ever. The regulator ws pretty crusty and thanks to Lucas poorly designed, proprietary and impossible to get to. Mounted up under the fuel tank with a slotted screw holding it to the firewall, nuts to the outside. And best of all a Lucas proprietary connection system, screws and clamps? Nah, some tin pin terminals and a special clamp to hold the whole mess together 🤬

413F7949-DD9C-499F-A9E3-A42F07E83BBD.jpeg

28AAA827-F560-43C4-80E6-28A03AFA3E3D.jpeg

345223C4-6C69-4D29-BDD7-986901D79A8F.jpeg

D254958D-3A8A-4D24-A94A-8A3192CAB730.jpeg

FC3F2DE7-583C-4994-A64B-AB828382AEE7.jpeg

7 minutes ago, nate said:

I would rather work on that than the newer trucks I get to work on everyday…

For sure, but there is a lot of real estate on a B-275, i have to ask why there? 

I put a Delco one-wire on. If I remember correctly I used the same mount, just held the alternator up to the mount aligned with the belt, and cut it down. I'm not 100% sure about cutting the mount down as it's been a couple of decades. I did the same with the 3616. Amp meter pegs for a bit but seems to take it. If the meter was bad I would have simply used a voltmeter instead as the information is better.

I found a wide pulley on line. Impact wrench is best for changing them. Simple, cheap fix and you can hang real lights on them when you're done. Ebay has any number of one wires for sale or if you have one off a junker the regulators are cheap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Is the regulator the problem, or the rusty connection? Either battery or armature terminal there will cause your symptoms. Anyway you can only hope a new one will last as long as that one.

Actually what I pulled out didn’t look nearly as bad as the regulator itself. I am 95 percent sure its the regulator but i am sending both to the motor shop to be repaired/evaluated/replaced 

"The Lucas Jokebook"

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/the-lucas-jokebook

"As John Robins points out, "We here drove cars built by BMC, Ford, Rootes, Triumph, R[olls]-R[oyce] and B[entley], Jaguar, Alvis, Armstrong Siddeley and half a hundred other makes that had Lucas electrics, and we did not experience any worse problems than when driving Vauxhalls with Delco electrics, French cars with Ducellier, German cars with Bosch or Italian cars with Magneti Marelli." 

Which would be my experience also.  Here in Oz the absolute bottom of the reliability pit were the (IIRC) Prestolite alternators made here under license.

it's our joke over here and if you have to fact check jokes you won't be too much fun at a comedy venue:D 

Delco rules over here esp in the International Harvester years. Parts, service and inter-changeability made most of us love them . Probably the fact most people got more training on Delco as well' 

as a side note many European tractors of that era just didn't measure up as well which may have added to the Lucas infamy. That may have been due to their poor design or the different environment- that is  up to the individual to determine without starting a debate:D

I will take a Delco over the others any time 

Fit one to a Caravan when the BCM circuit that regulated the voltage died way cheaper than a new BCM.

I have a 99 GMC that went 140K with a Delco alternator.

I got a rebuilt from AutoStoned  it was a Bosch, apparently they used both, it lasted 40K

The rebuilt had a lifetime warranty on it I told them I only wanted a Delco for the replacement.

The rebuilt Delco been on there 100K no problems.

The Lucas system on my Fordson had something like that, also crammed way up under the dash and hard to get to.

I finally got mad of messing with it all, jerked every wire and electrical component off of it last winter and rebuilt it with a one wire alternator.  Only thing I reused was the key switch.  Best thing I've done to that tractor.

• Like 1

To be fair I've dealt with Lucas since high school and even though I make fun of them I really haven't found Lucas to be terribly unreliable once I found that the many of intermittent and open circuits were caused by the unreliable spring connectors in the female bullet connectors that cracked and made for a bad connection or just got pulled apart.  That seemed especially true in motorcycles due the vibration.

• Like 1

I don’t have a hate for Lucas, to me it mainly means the style of ignition switch (Lucas key) that many MF and IH utility tractors have, only other scenario is a couple where it is a question of Lucas or Delco starter, and one costs more than the other, I have never mastered or mildly understood external regulator charging systems, making brackets and adapting a delco alternator has been my go to 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, New Englander said:

To be fair I've dealt with Lucas since high school and even though I make fun of them I really haven't found Lucas to be terribly unreliable once I found that the many of intermittent and open circuits were caused by the unreliable spring connectors in the female bullet connectors that cracked and made for a bad connection or just got pulled apart.  That seemed especially true in motorcycles due the vibration.

Bullet connector problems happen in other brands too.  My latest was a headlight problem in a Toyota Landcruiser which turned out to be such a connector in the multi-plug under the steering column.  And seems that wasn't the first to happen.

And, as that joke book article points out that Lucas mostly didn't make the wiring harnesses.

We got a Lucas starter for our 574 diesel before we knew better, and found out the hard way that they turn a lot slower than the delco remy it replaced. We ended up replacing the broken nose cone on our old delco because the lucas wouldn't spin the tractor over fast enough to start it in the winter.

So I got the stuff back, i was correct about the voltage regulator, he said the generator was working but he freshened up the armature, installed new brushes and new bearings as they were a little scratchy. He tries very hard to only use US parts but said the VR was the only one he could get and it does not identify itself. It doesn’t say it passed QC 🤔