Fordson F “Project X”

3 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Makes one think maybe he's been around screaming Jimmies before 🤔

WHAAAATTTTTT????? Yeah my hearing is pretty shot...

GF arrived yesterday for a 10 day visit. Brought the special bolts for the Detroitson  that were hard to get locally here, also got the gaskets for that continental. Heading to the shop soon try and bang that out then back at the Detroitson. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Good Luck finding time during the visit 

She’s pretty cool With hanging around the shop actually! I pulled the head off the continental yesterday, one exhaust valve has no valve keepers on it and lifted out with the vacuum cleaner... cylinders are scored up a bit and the oil has material in it... not good. Going to look into removing the pan with the engine in the truck and find them keepers, inspect the crank and bearings, pull the pistons and inspect them. If things aren’t too bad I’ll hone it and put rings in it, bearings too if the crank isn’t screwed but I’m thinking it’s not good... it wasn’t knocking but it was only running on one cylinder and barely idling. I’ll be at things after a couple more coffees. 

8 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

She’s pretty cool With hanging around the shop actually! I pulled the head off the continental yesterday, one exhaust valve has no valve keepers on it and lifted out with the vacuum cleaner... cylinders are scored up a bit and the oil has material in it... not good. Going to look into removing the pan with the engine in the truck and find them keepers, inspect the crank and bearings, pull the pistons and inspect them. If things aren’t too bad I’ll hone it and put rings in it, bearings too if the crank isn’t screwed but I’m thinking it’s not good... it wasn’t knocking but it was only running on one cylinder and barely idling. I’ll be at things after a couple more coffees. 

Good for you 

What kind of truck is it?

Did it break a valve spring or did the keepers jest let go?

Ok got I remember now 

Yes could be a governor issue 

Some of that old stuff had questionable metallurgy

Racing certainly advanced valve spring technology

Been along time since I have have heard of broken valve spring on everyday stuff

But judging from the way I see some of these  operators run them their on the governor all the time    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Ok got I remember now 

Yes could be a governor issue 

Some of that old stuff had questionable metallurgy

Racing certainly advanced valve spring technology

Been along time since I have have heard of broken valve spring on everyday stuff

But judging from the way I see some of these  operators run them their on the governor all the time    

It was running on one cylinder when I got it so I have no idea if the governor had control of Max rpm, it would hardly run!  Valves are in tough shape, whole

thing is in tough shape...

1 hour ago, mmi said:

kind of dirty like running on liquid ?

How would one (running)know if it wasnt vaporizing.

IIRC dr e had contacts for parts...

Yeah it’s propane fueled. When I drained the oil a quart of water came out first. This thing hasn’t had an oil change in years and it’s used for short jobs, it’s never had the chance to evaporate the condensation from the crankcase. After the water settles, that’s the first thing the oil pump picks up next start... bet the bottom end is tough shape too. 

was referring to propane in general ,should be super clean including years old oil.

never had one personally open,would say that one is way too rich and next to never serviced...

In GC and rpm within last year was details on lpg issues and repair

Propane is very clean but starting an engine and only running for short bursts repeatedly creates other problems, looks like the short burst part here was standing on the go pedal another no no on a cold motor

Very kind of you to let her ride the nice sled, good to hear we have another sledder to add to the crowd. NOW, down to reality, as a parent, I have to ask, what were you doing till 3 in the morning?🤔🤔

Glad to hear she's having a good visit 😁

Mark

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, hardtail said:

Do you have all the stuff to do seats and guides?

Yeah mostly. I have a Sioux seat grinding set with most of the standard pilots. I could use more guide reamers and hones but I’ve been getting by. Gotta look for another set of intake valves for this thing. The margins are near gone... think I k ow where parts are hiding tomorrow. Also my gf’s last day visiting tomorrow. She flys out early Sunday morning. We have to leave for the airport around midnight tomorrow ffs...

• Like 1

Valve job done. Not ideal but I can’t wait on parts. Reduced the intake diameter a bit to clean up rust and gain some margin. Was barely able to move the seat face in enough to seat off the edge of the valve. Not ideal but it’ll run. 

I’ll be back to the Detroitson next I swear. We now have everything to do final assembly of the tractor to the point it will be on wheels again now. I’ll be assembling the tranny and the final details of the clutch release, got all the special bolts to permanently bolt the engine and adapter plates all together. One head ready to assemble, valve job still to do on the other but hoping she’ll be a runner/driver for this spring. Hoping to get it to a few of the local shows and mess with people’s minds.

311599B6-24BE-49BA-AAB7-EEFE9F5FBA57.jpeg

24AA33C3-F71F-4BED-8021-4D6A9760F051.jpeg

91D8D411-8D5E-4E68-91FF-3FE5BEC4BF35.jpeg

20F36730-6520-45C8-9734-0D666B73A4D5.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Did you have to put a new seat in the exhaust?

No but I’d say someone has been into this and did put exhaust seats in. There are no intake seats, they’re just on the cast iron. It’s possible the exhaust were cast also from the factory. She has a fuel tank (gasoline) so might have had cast exhaust seats for use with leaded fuel. She’s old, within a couple years of when CAT acquired TOWMOTOR in ‘58??? There still all kinds of TOWMOTOR parts on it as CAT used up existing stock. She has CAT cast into the counter weight which make it at least two years post acquisition and being manual tranny it’s not much newer than that. Oil clutch which is early too. I did have to cut those seats 15* on top also to get things sitting as best I could. 

• Like 2

Why yes I do, I too started in the dirt and then went street and now have both although I think serious dirt riding now would have me breaking instead of bounce, was thinking of trying vintage racing but I think maybe not, maybe one does get wiser🤔

That Superglide will be a collector now, see an oil cooler up front, @Dasnakehas a shovel also, I'm at 7 bikes right now and a couple parts units, time to start selling some off, looking for a nice Streetglide for retirement and a tent trailer, I have a pan bobber but my back can't take the hardtail in our roads anymore, a extended girder front end shovel project, have all the stuff for a 93" stroker, 85 wideglide and a 95 fat boy and 3 old IT 250s and 465, I never have ridden a twinkie, if that's a recent pic you will be riding way before me, still pretty wintery here

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Why yes I do, I too started in the dirt and then went street and now have both although I think serious dirt riding now would have me breaking instead of bounce, was thinking of trying vintage racing but I think maybe not, maybe one does get wiser🤔

That Superglide will be a collector now, see an oil cooler up front, @Dasnakehas a shovel also, I'm at 7 bikes right now and a couple parts units, time to start selling some off, looking for a nice Streetglide for retirement and a tent trailer, I have a pan bobber but my back can't take the hardtail in our roads anymore, a extended girder front end shovel project, have all the stuff for a 93" stroker, 85 wideglide and a 95 fat boy and 3 old IT 250s and 465, I never have ridden a twinkie, if that's a recent pic you will be riding way before me, still pretty wintery here

Nice collection! That pic was last summer I think? It’s still snowmobile weather here although I did consider taking her out for a ride last week as the roads were clear but i I would have had to pick it up and take it to the road with the forks on my tractor as my driveway is about 400 feet long and shear ice right now. yeah I don’t bounce anymore either... sold my 2001 CR250 and ‘88 CR 500 back in 2014? Busted my leg in 2013, rode them once more and spilled the 250 bad. Black and blue front/back/waist to neck and had to work 3 days later at sea for three months. That was a rough tour and I’ve never been right since. That oil cooler... I need to save it, it had a leak from vibration, I TIG’d the leak and melted o-rings I didn’t think it had. It’s on the scavenge return so I think I can fix it as it doesn’t really see any pressure. She’s a “mechanics” bike. Points, cranky S&S carb and kick start only... never left me stuck far from home but you tighten bolts after every ride, maybe lose the odd part also. Wouldn’t change a thing!

• Thanks 1