Fordson F “Project X”

Getting ready to short block this bad boy. Making a tapered ring compressor from that cracked sleeve, checking ring gaps which I figured weren’t going to be an issue with the liners being at Max recommend size, I don’t even need feeler gauges to see that gap won’t be closing up! I think she’ll be fine for a polished turd!

3CE730C8-D1CA-4D22-8274-CEA353F17B88.jpeg

428570D7-E8D3-4F8E-BB27-B86E7F8D8D42.jpeg

BBF6B11C-73D5-407A-8A17-E02281EBD078.jpeg

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Maybe this has been asked - how are you going to put all that Detroit power to the ground?  Do you have lugs for the rear wheels?

Impressive project, by the way. 

For now we’re just planning to repair the rust on the wheels then wrap them with rubber. Pretty much just thinking tractor show/parade duty at the moment. I have lugs and other wheels we can swap on. I’m actually worried that if it gets traction the wheels may be a failure point and am considering building heavy wall fenders to project the driver in case it folds the spokes up and wraps you up in it. That’s way down the road, just looking to get a runner/driver for now, pulling is a consideration for later. 

Lookie what arrived from Fordson house today!  Now I can do the final assembly on the transmission. Took a couple days off doing other stuff but I’ve got my valve grinder running pretty nice now, got a bit of a hold up as I don’t have a 0.250” pilot for grinding the seats. Probably make one today and get this show on the road! 

6C854473-A7B4-4073-88E4-F081B0C5746C.jpeg

F69EEF3F-851E-4B17-9DA2-5CEADB3FDC0E.jpeg

• Like 4

All the seats ground, all the valves ground (for this head) one cylinder lapped and pattern checked. She’s more than good enough for an old tractor! Going to pressure test the injector cup o rings before final assembly still. Lap the rest of the valves then clamp it to the bench with a little strategic silicone to seal the water jackets then put a few pounds of air in the jackets watch them o rings up top. They’re under the rolled lip of the injector cup sealing coolant. 

6DD62D54-DBF2-4E2C-96D1-A237407CF0E3.jpeg

5C1F55CE-291B-40B8-813F-DD215B39952E.jpeg

11F08CD4-CF82-4287-B3AD-779E46319C31.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/22/2022 at 11:12 PM, RustbucketRanch said:

I don't know what you're smoking, but keep on puffing! I'm completely behind this creation!

I'd love to get my hands on a 6V53...but then I'd have to find something to put it in 😕

“We’d jam in joe’s garage. Didn’t have no dope or LSD, but a couple of quarts of beer...”

• Haha 2

Finally got the right starter for this telehandler and got it installed today, out in the cold... she’s in the shop now warming up. Must be water In The hydraulics as she wouldn’t steer then suddenly let loose after warming up. Have to replace the water pump and a few other small maintenance items. Hopefully have that done tomorrow then back to rebuilding the engine. 

7C936C74-F8E5-48C1-94B9-C6801F91B94C.jpeg

720DCF7C-066C-4AFA-A740-3167750F12DD.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hardtail said:

Looks like it just fits 🙄

It’s pretty tight in there... wouldn’t be too bad if my pickup truck wasn’t cut in half and bolted to the floor next to it... got the water pump on yesterday (only one broken bolt...) also found a bad diaphragm on the fuel limiting pot on the injection pump. Hopefully that solves the lack of power. Just a few little things to check and it’s out the door. Got a nice easy job dropped off today, an old CAT forklift with a Y163 continental that needs a valve job. She’s a flathead and it’s easy to get at, gaskets arriving Friday along with all the oddball bolts required for the Detroitson. 

200BCF2C-D986-4DAA-AFB4-A9D6814015C5.jpeg

• Like 1

Think I got that telehandler done. Fixed a bunch of stupid little things along the way. Got the intake heater working also, should help his cold starts. Hopefully he comes by tomorrow and gets it outta my shop and hands me a pile of bills! Then it’s that continental valve job and detroitson fun. Good thing all my valve grinding gear is already out and set up.

• Like 1