Fordson F “Project X”

1 hour ago, AngrySailor said:

Had to fix a friends round bale burning boiler today so no progress on the Detroitson. My girl and I are apart due to work and the ronAIDS so when she asked what I did the last couple days I was thrilled to tell her that I played with my shaft all day and it got 6 1/4” longer!

...that is just crying out for some ''cutting'' retort...however  best left unsaid .....:o

...Finding this endeavour very interesting...refering, of course to the potential Bonneville   Flats racer....

Mike

• Like 2

Was thinking eastern Kanuckistan with ship experience maybe east coast great lakes or St Lawrence now with bale burners starting to rule out east coast, am curious about the bale burner stuff though, Ontario just got a big dump and truck in ditch just a process of elimination 🤔

Your girl will be eager to get back for a visit...lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hardtail said:

Was thinking eastern Kanuckistan with ship experience maybe east coast great lakes or St Lawrence now with bale burners starting to rule out east coast, am curious about the bale burner stuff though, Ontario just got a big dump and truck in ditch just a process of elimination 🤔

Your girl will be eager to get back for a visit...lol

Farther  east than that. I’m located in PEI. I did sail mostly on the lakes and east coast of Canada and the US, been down to Chesapeake bay and up to Baltimore, made one Atlantic crossing back in ‘15 I think? 

17 hours ago, mike newman said:

...that is just crying out for some ''cutting'' retort...however  best left unsaid .....:o

...Finding this endeavour very interesting...refering, of course to the potential Bonneville   Flats racer....

Mike

Don’t  hold back on my account, I can take it! 

so today I should try and do a little sandblasting for a fella.  I have two smallish tractor mount snow blowers to touch up for him for resale. Also finally got a water pump for this CAT telehandler thing in I have to install soon too. Hopefully weld that shaft maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 2

So I looked at buddys sandblasting job today... two small 47” tractor mount blowers he bought to resell. I knew he wouldn’t be happy with spot blast and rattle can as the paint is pretty faded. One gearbox is stripped and is $1000 from JD. Told him $300 for paint and supplies and up to $500 labour plus incidental parts like bearings and chains that are seized up. That was to blast, prime, paint ONE blower and reassemble. He’s coming to get his stuff junk out of my hair and that’s fine by me... should Have charged him for the hour to look at it but c’est la vie. 

• Like 2

I’m dying to get back at the Detroitson but paying jobs have been calling. Got this CAT telehandler needed a water pump which finally came in, went to bring it in the shop and the starter nuked itself... what a spot to get at on your back out in the cold!  I’d fix it but the solenoid coil is open as well. Also I wouldn’t rely on it out on job sites, just replace it for ~$200 is the best bet, waiting for delivery is the issue. I’ll order one tomorrow, hopefully have some time get at the Detroit rebuild for a few days. 

449998EA-AF81-43A4-8190-0CBC119782EA.jpeg

179F0CB8-8D7B-4458-89ED-9E5B838DC227.jpeg

• Like 1

Holy cow fellas I’ve had NO time to work on this lately. Starter was ordered at the ridiculous price of nearly $800 maple syrups, was supposed to be here Wednesday but it’s tracking number only says it left with no further updates. Had some other machining jobs come in also which took priority. I have four small wheels for a band saw mills carriage to finish today then back at it I hope. Finish this clutch and release mechanism up then back at the engine rebuild. Once the engine is together we’re pretty much ready for the first fire up and drive. Small stuff only after that.  

• Like 2

Big snow storm yesterday and last night. Blowing snow like crazy today. That starter arrived and in perfect fashion with how this job has been going, it’s the f’n WRONG starter!!! Glad this guy doesn’t need his machine right away. It’s been here since before Christmas, water pump was ordered even before it arrived here.

Thinking today is the day to weld that shaft. Got torches geared up for pre/post heat, got fibreglass wrap and my kitchen oven surprisingly goes to 550*f. Planning to set it up so I can roll it along and weld with the TIG. 

cut apart a regular old Chevy throw out bearing. Gained me over 1/2” length clearance and will fit nicely in the space I have. All measurements I’m happy with now and ready to weld. Might get the table cleaned off and just get things all set up how I want then weld tomorrow as it will be a bit of a process then dealing with the cool down time in the oven. Overall pretty happy with things, hope I don’t screw up welding it! I’m pretty rusty...

3 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

Rigging up something so I can roll it as I weld. Was a bit of a push to remove that main input bearing!

394A094A-F6C0-4D27-8066-C33A42E6F8FC.jpeg

I need to do something similar soon. If I understand your pics correctly, you have machined a socket and tenon on the two pieces. Is this correct? TIA. Love the build. Would like to see the finished product. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

I need to do something similar soon. If I understand your pics correctly, you have machined a socket and tenon on the two pieces. Is this correct? TIA. Love the build. Would like to see the finished product. 

Exactly, the shafts are pressed together with about 1” engagement each joint. We’re not planning any paint or restoration other than patching the wheels and a little work to the fuel tank. Probably just park it outside to get all the new steel rusty to match the rest. Exhaust will be stubby zoomies downward angled, something like WWII aircraft pipes. All made from junk pipe kicking around. Maybe 4-5” long each? She’s gonna be a noise maker!

• Like 1

Meh went OK I guess... did a little grinding on the clutch end weld not so much to hide my shiddy welding but I seemed to be getting some porosity on my final pass and tried to clean it up and also see how deep it was. Seemed to be pretty much on the surface, not sure exactly why but it’s possible my TIG torch cup isnt sealing to the torch body, might be bringing in some oxygen there...  brought it up near 800* post heat, wrapped in glass cloth and into the oven at 550*. I’ll be machining the welds so will be able to better evaluate any porosity then. I think it will be good to go though. 

80E0BB34-DAD2-4915-98F2-425741C5DB8A.jpeg

969AC7C9-00C7-4079-B59D-DC4EB8BFC143.jpeg

8989BEC1-08A8-4637-AA84-DE11924CF6B9.jpeg

744E4ED1-4144-40A7-B17B-432602B4BF4F.jpeg

0EF95CBC-BD9E-476C-B5F0-AF14906B0FBB.jpeg

156625EE-F971-403D-A1F6-CDC51918EBD0.jpeg

F6E96453-E280-43F3-A5E2-D5D4762556DA.jpeg

• Like 7