Fordson F “Project X”

1 minute ago, just Dave said:

I used to have a TD9 head with 15-20 pins stuck in the head. It looked like non since. May be that was Loc-n-Stich?

Possibly, when it’s done properly it’s near invisible. I’ll be heading to the shop soon I can post a picture of the Famous cooling hopper I repaired with it. Once you install the overlapping pins, grind flush and needle scale it looks just like the surrounding cast iron. There are also different types of pins and one guys even used brass machine screws in low stress repairs. 

• Thanks 1

Got the other 6v53 out of the back 40. Bugger was frozen to the ground and busted up the temporary engine stand it was sitting on getting it free. Going to pull both sets of heads soon and see where we’re at as far as having enough parts to cobble together a decent runner. The one in the Detroitson ran but had a rusted liner, this one is stuck but hopefully had a decent liner or two. We’ll see soon enough I guess...

C42A2601-BFC2-4C63-AB2F-98BD92524998.jpeg

• Like 3

Picked up a couple small thermostats down at the auto parts this morning. 180* was the coldest I could find on hand but the size will work nice. Might be able to source a colder one the same configuration?  With some very slight clearancing they will sit in the head, I can use the block off plates from the other Detroit as the “stat housing” to block off any bypass. Probably drill a small hole for an air bleed in each plate also. 

this other Detroit has the emergency stop damper as well, which I’ll install on the runner. Nice to have a way to shut down a run away...

92E71740-6046-4E03-8B1C-B8F3926146ED.jpeg

248ABB76-05B3-4D3C-870C-79D2969BE33B.jpeg

24E7335D-FB64-4D7D-A029-D78B1AD76820.jpeg

7C1BF149-8FB6-4E7F-93E3-319BB4B7D92A.jpeg

• Like 3

All these liners and pistons look serviceable. This engine has been rebuilt at some point, bearings look good too. Surprising as it had enough water in the oil pan that it froze and broke the pan. Whoever rebuilt it left a piece of broken liner inside though... found that in the pan and none of the liners are broken...

03BE0D23-5E8B-468C-96C0-4E46197FDF62.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustred said:

holy smokes! your beating flat rate on this .

Thanks! I’ve taken the winter off from real work cuz things got quiffy due to CoronAIDS and my pops is newly retired, I’m effectively retired therefore we have lots of time to play rn.

The “junk engine” is in pretty good shape really. I don’t know how long it sat outside missing covers and such before I got it but it’s been here since 2015 at least. The oil Pan must have had enough water in it at one time to freeze as It is busted OUT. That’s a crack you’re looking at in the pic.  It was missing cam driven accessories or covers, the blower is the worst of it so far. Corroded and locked up. The other engine had water in the left bank and the middle cylinder that side is rusted bad but it did run on 5 cylinders since I’ve had it. Feeling much better now about having plenty of parts to make one decent one. 

I’ll get the head of the one in the tractor soon and see what’s up. If those heads look ok then I’ll start a valve job on them cuz hey, the paint matches!  Thank goodness we got that little old hyster forklift cuz my harbor freight engine stand looks like the leaning tower of Pisa with a BBC on it rn, don’t think things would work out well bolting the DD to it...  engines these size are a pain, they’re big enough to be heavy but not so big they’re installed somewhere with dedicated overhead cranes. Ships engines are easy to work on even when a rod and pistons weighs 5 ton... 

BEF20220-44C5-436C-A5D9-12BB414AD273.jpeg

• Like 1

you must be a machinist by trade. at first i thought you were just plunking that engine in the tractor for an ornament. i see different now, lol. what are these engines out of? years ago we ran a bank of 6 71's on the mud pumps and had a 8v 92 floor motor. i remember one time  one 6 71 get hot and stop. let it sit a bit then fire it up and then pour the coal to it again.  the mechanic came out and put sleeves and pistons in it. it was cold as heck that day also like now . -38 here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rustred said:

you must be a machinist by trade. at first i thought you were just plunking that engine in the tractor for an ornament. i see different now, lol. what are these engines out of? years ago we ran a bank of 6 71's on the mud pumps and had a 8v 92 floor motor. i remember one time  one 6 71 get hot and stop. let it sit a bit then fire it up and then pour the coal to it again.  the mechanic came out and put sleeves and pistons in it. it was cold as heck that day also like now . -38 here. 

Yup, been journeyman machinist just over 20 years now, also licensed Marine Engineer (motor ship) about 10 years now also. These engine came out of fishing boats, about 53 footers, single engine boats. No idea how long they sat before I got them... I’ve got a mint 6v53 out of a 1974 international fire truck also. That one has less than 30,000 miles and less than 8000 hrs on it. Clean as a whistle, it’s going in a shortened (to short wheel base) ‘82 1 ton Chevy pickup with a widened step side box which is also tubbed for the dualies... just found a 10spd OD road ranger for that in a dump truck at the local yard. Went and pulled all the bolts, just waiting for buddy to lift the thing out for me. 

worst of the two rusty liners and still not that bad. Measures 0.008” piston to wall at this clean up stage. Going to leave it till we see all 12 available liners and pistons then pick the best fits. 

CE61747D-E5E7-4383-931F-51A4D54C5978.jpeg

• Like 1

looks not all that bad . many guys say thats junk but you got to work with what you have . i put engines together also from the best of used stuff. but not these jimmies, lol. so quite a bit of idling time on it. my duramax hs 445,000 km. and 8600 hrs. i dont idle it for long periods like some oil patch trucks never get shut off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rustred said:

looks not all that bad . many guys say thats junk but you got to work with what you have . i put engines together also from the best of used stuff. but not these jimmies, lol. so quite a bit of idling time on it. my duramax hs 445,000 km. and 8600 hrs. i dont idle it for long periods like some oil patch trucks never get shut off.

She was a pumper truck in a small city so probably spent most of that time on PTO duty. She’s cranked up too with stiffer valve springs and if I recall she’s governed at 3200 rpm instead of 2800...

I’m sure there are 6 better liners to be had between these two engines, the pistons from this one look like low hours, even the rings are decent shape/hardly broke in. They’d probably be fine but I’ll price a set of rings when I get gaskets. If they’re cheap they’re going in.  

• Like 2

All 6 spare liners honed, one was big already and didn’t clean up well where the upper rings land, one had a small crack on the top register which looks like an install fail, the rest cleaned up pretty good at max spec. Basically there’s 4 darn good liners there and 2 meh they’d work. I bet there’s at least two more better in the other engine. All these pistons are nice, no scuffing and decent sizing, rings are all free too. Time to pull the other engine soon. Also working on radius rods and steering linkages today. Almost time to head to the folks place for New Years supper though. 

3C94FAD2-5A0F-4D25-81EC-BFD14CD70789.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, rustred said:

you hit the jackpot! looks good to me.

Going to pull the engine in the tractor apart soon and make one good one. The blower on the tractor engine is in pretty decent shape so that helps. I’ll have one short blocked soon then do a pair of heads while Waiting for gaskets. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:47 PM, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

You sure don’t waste any time. If this was my project it would probably take ten years to finish it, or maybe sell half done at my estate sale. I’m enjoying the updates like everyone else. Keep it up. 

My thoughts too, get out of his way this man's on a mission, hope your previous employer appreciated your skills not so easy to come by these days

Looking forward to a noisy burnout with a shower of sparks instead of smoke😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1