Fordson F “Project X”

The top pic is your oil pump under the slot screw in the cases there is a fine metal screen, pull it out if it's full of metal filings you have something going astray 🤔 you might still have problems elsewhere if it's clean, @Dasnake did these have a compensating sprocket off the engine left side, evos had it but can't recall when they introduced it, those can loosen and make noise also

54 minutes ago, hardtail said:

The top pic is your oil pump under the slot screw in the cases there is a fine metal screen, pull it out if it's full of metal filings you have something going astray 🤔 you might still have problems elsewhere if it's clean, @Dasnake did these have a compensating sprocket off the engine left side, evos had it but can't recall when they introduced it, those can loosen and make noise also

Ya, mine is an '84 split, shovel with a 4 speed trans and frame I once gutted the comp kept the old one just in case I could get it welded, with all the choice welding outfits it might be as good as new.

Just not sure if the 74's had them I kind of think not, thought it was an 80" idea but I'm forgetting alot these daze...anyway another place to look for problems, just strip off the outer primary cover to access, other things to inspect in there if it has a chain tensioner, might need a stethoscope to figure out source of noise, he'll the entire machine is a source of noise😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

I got a dry primary, Rivera primo belt 

1 hour ago, hardtail said:

You should be able to rule out some primary issues then

Yeah don’t think it’s a primary issue and definitely not a tranny issue as the noise is there with the clutch in and in gear. Got pull them screens and check. They were clean last fall but the noise wasn’t there then either. Thinking she sat so long probably has some surface rust on the crank bearings... 

Paying job today, stripped stub style king pin on a John Deere...

3CCB544E-B0FE-4D2F-9BBA-4B601381E8E6.jpeg

6C960FDF-536A-426D-A303-A5D1B89FA3BE.jpeg

E31CDF02-DF2E-453B-B2E6-B22C9B512923.jpeg

566BF67A-56B8-45BD-ABF7-CD0851F31349.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Did you wind up having to bore it?

Yes, I indicated it then bored till it just cleaned up then threaded it. It’s now an odd ball thread but I’m making a new kingpin to suit. There really wasn’t enough material to sleeve it back to original size. It’s cast iron also so no welding. I also cornered the market on a replacement kingpin lol!

07897B31-DC4E-42ED-8C5E-3C3F15EAC8DB.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

What swing is your lathe?  I love machining pictures!

24” over the bed, 36” in the gap and 19 and change over the saddle. She’s a beast! I’ll probably start another thread for the bike engine fix and general fix it/machining pics I guess. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, timbo1946 said:

Looks like your about to loose it!

It’s a handful... pops cut the video a few seconds early as when I let out of the throttle between the worm drive and engine braking I had her pretty sideways. Had to call on my DIRT modified driving from younger days but I kept her in my lane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Exciting to say the least !

not to throw mud on the fire,

But I do recall a  (40 yrs ago)   oft mentioned ,old "wives" tail

of farmers getting trans shrapnel  from over powered fordsons ( like FHV8) and the ALways stated  general use ,roll over backwards .

If you are doing much "dragg in" maybe a pullers kevlar blanket and wheelies ?

Play safe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mmi said:

Exciting to say the least !

not to throw mud on the fire,

But I do recall a  (40 yrs ago)   oft mentioned ,old "wives" tail

of farmers getting trans shrapnel  from over powered fordsons ( like FHV8) and the ALways stated  general use ,roll over backwards .

If you are doing much "dragg in" maybe a pullers kevlar blanket and wheelies ?

Play safe.

We’re planning some fenders that will merge into a “platform” which will act as a draw bar/wheelie bar and also give space for a passenger to ride along (maybe not at full speed!). As far as shrapnel the clutch and flywheel are well forward of the driver and both are running within their rated rpm range. The transmission has no large or heavy gears, I think the largest diameter is ~6” and that gears speed is already reduced by the contershaft ratio. There’s really nothing in there which has much weight or inertia moving at excessive speed. Also no gears run close to the case so if something broke it would have to fly through the case is not likely to jam up and push its way through... not saying in couldn’t happen but I think the design makes it unlikely that anything could exit... the castings are pretty thick also. Probably not an issue unless we put big traction to it and try to pull hard at which point I think the wheels would fail or the bronze worm wheel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

There’s really nothing in there which has much weight or inertia moving at excessive speed. Also no gears run close to the case so if something broke it would have to fly through the case is not likely to jam up and push its way through... not saying in couldn’t happen but I think the design makes it unlikely that anything could exit... the castings are pretty thick also. Probably not an issue unless we put big traction to it and try to pull hard at which point I think the wheels would fail or the bronze worm wheel.

That is why I called it a "wives tale" as never met the cripple with the claims,of items penetrating the case, maybe early model/over mod?

11 minutes ago, mmi said:

That is why I called it a "wives tale" as never met the cripple with the claims,of items penetrating the case, maybe early model/over mod?

I’d say it’s happened. SFI certified racing bell housings exist for a reason. I used to race karts when I was younger and as we moved to the unlimited 4 stroke class things got dicey... the rules specified a stock unaltered Briggs and Stratton flywheel weighing a minimum of 5lbs 12oz. As the engine tech evolved faster than the rules this became an issue. I’ve spun one of those flywheels 11,200 rpm... seen two explode and at one event we didn’t attend (because we had the points championship locked down...) a spectator was killed by a flywheel explosion. They allowed billet flywheels very quickly after that incident...

• Sad 1