Fordson F “Project X”

That's interesting. It's been a long time since I've built a Frankenstein..  It sounds like your enjoying the build... that's the point.  That's a solid looking lathe, what make is it?   The tool post looks like an old time Enco tool post I think they had 24 positions. They had a few of those at a shop I worked in the 80s, If i ever run across one for a 20 incher I would buy it instantly.  It will be fun to see it go..... Good luck with the build.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, it’s should be a laugh when it’s done. Thinking it’s not going to see any paint or restoration other than mechanical. It’s fitting surprisingly well really. The lathe is a SIRCO PA-24 x 80” and it’s a tank, weighs a little under 10,000 lbs and was a bugger to move to my new shop 1200 miles away. I can’t remember what make the tool post is, I think it has 36 positions but I’d have to check. It came on the machine when I bought it over 20 years ago now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been busy stacking fire wood and getting my hone heating boiler running last couple days. Just looking at project X now and next step is to attach the original front cover/axle support to the Detroit. The belt tensioner can flip to the other side of the belt no problem, I’m going to cut the water inlet off the oil cooler and cap it then tap an NPT port in the bottom of the inlet section which will get things out of my way. That water inlet is the worst problem I’ve run into so far and it not even much of a problem. Not going to lie, there might have been (a ~sensible) bit of alcohol involved in the seeds of this project...

C613E73F-AB26-497A-9B80-26B3D67FBA2B.jpeg

AE9CB084-EB4C-4C13-B274-962F4D12B238.jpeg

86625A85-D1E8-48A9-963C-096BA151087F.jpeg

• Like 3

Been a busy few days with Christmas parties at friends business’ also battling my wood boiler so progress was a bit hindered. Got the unnecessary jewelry off the Detroit,  need a larger piece of plate than I had today to make the front adapter, I’ll pick that up tomorrow and hopefully have her firmly on her wheels and mobile again tomorrow. 

AC15F796-033E-4202-91AC-D5FDB90D04E7.jpeg

68365914-E766-4FA6-8BEB-AA79ADB02B84.jpeg

....great project !!!

...I imagine .apart from all the other  interruptions...you will be spending a lot of time at the gym ??

...you will require  great upper body strength      just to steer the bloody thing...  it will be a real challenge....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 4

Going to add about 2” length to the fuel tank at the front to make that fit right. Also thinking to hinge the front 2/3ds of the tank each side as a gull wing “hood”... I think that’s 2 cases gone but in fairness I have help!  That engine doesn’t have an air damper/E-stop but I have a blower hat that does and plan to install it. A run away could be nasty but on the other hand could set a Fordson land speed record! 

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

That engine doesn’t have an air damper/E-stop but I have a blower hat that does and plan to install it. A run away could be nasty but on the other hand could set a Fordson land speed record! 

...could I respectfully   suggest a  ""steering damper''    also..... this prior to the  Bonneville  Salt Flats   run......I mention this in passing   (!!!).....having wrestled with an E27N   Fordson    tractor ., which had a standard     side valve power plant...(I use the term ''power plant''  rather loosely....)...and that could be a trifle difficult at times on cultivated ground......never mind trying to steer  that   Detroit   powered   brute....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

Going to add about 2” length to the fuel tank at the front to make that fit right. Also thinking to hinge the front 2/3ds of the tank each side as a gull wing “hood”... I think that’s 2 cases gone but in fairness I have help!  That engine doesn’t have an air damper/E-stop but I have a blower hat that does and plan to install it. A run away could be nasty but on the other hand could set a Fordson land speed record! 

While it wasnt a screaming detroit, or on steel wheels, I have driven a Ford 3000 at 43 mph. Land speed records on a tractor aren't as exciting since that white knuckled ride. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

That's a fine choice in beverages! Project looks good too.

Thanks! Was busy earlier today but I’m measuring up for the crankshaft adapter now. Might get onto the lathe this evening. Flipped the water outlets to the front of the heads also, looking at tapping some 45* fittings into the bottom of the rad tank which will make for nice straight hoses about 6” long each side. Possibly be able to install thermostats in the heads or at the very least use in hose thermostats like the Ford N series used. It’s coming together real well with no major hurdles so far. Looking forward to working on the clutch and input shaft, got a game plan for that too...

D2EB5ABE-667E-4C0C-9002-78108E30D2BD.jpeg

• Like 3

Darn right rustred! Gotta get the ideas flowing!  Forgive my very crude sketch of the adapter, found some round stock in the snow out back and got started. The smaller diameter is sized to fit the Fordson pulley now, I will drill a relief hole though that end next which will allow me to reuse the original Detroit crank pulley retaining bolt and have socket access as well as allowing the original cross pin through (as the bolt will be behind it) which will retain the Fordson pulley in the same manner as it did originally. No keys, just snug fits other than if some bozzo tries to crank start it (likely me...) the only load it will ever see it driving the fan. 

60A10CF3-AC27-4BCB-AACA-E30CD14608E0.jpeg

751E89A6-A0D9-4F11-BFB7-C416CE35ED96.jpeg

06BFA5DD-E921-498E-8F77-6B32B5356CC0.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AngrySailor said:

found some round stock in the snow out back

Unfortunately that's how I store a bit of my stock as well. The refrigeration doesn't seem to prevent rotting.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, just Dave said:

Unfortunately that's how I store a bit of my stock as well. The refrigeration doesn't seem to prevent rotting.

Years ago I was machinist at a crane manufacturer. I got a work order for some kingpins made from 12” 1045 and couldn’t find it when I went out to the yard. Told the purchasing b*tch we don’t have any and she insisted we had 14’ listed in the computer. I told her it’s not anywhere to be found so if she wants these parts get some. After a big argument/theft accusations and explaining to her that this isn’t something someone took home in a lunch pail she ordered the required material. A few months later it turned up, in the neighbouring companies parking lot, sticking out of the top of a 10’ snow pile! The snow plow caught it and pushed it up there. Don’t know how he didn’t feel that... 14’ of 12” round steel weighs 5416lbs...

I have to go rewire front to back a 1960 F-100 today so project X will have to wait till this evening. Someone butchered an S-10 steering column into this poor thing also and generally made a mess. Thankfully there’s not many circuits in these old trucks so shouldn’t be too bad a job...

98A316A3-A19D-4263-8697-5E075F9C826B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, AngrySailor said:

A few months later it turned up, in the neighbouring companies parking lot, sticking out of the top of a 10’ snow pile! The snow plow caught it and pushed it up there. Don’t know how he didn’t feel that... 14’ of 12” round steel weighs 5416lbs...

You certainly don't want that guy driving your plow truck

• Like 1