I don't want to meet the guy who.

mader656

Funny story. I was at my neighbors and saw he had a broken anvil like that. He is the kind of guy that could break an anvil. He saw me looking at it and said he had bought it at a local man’s sale when he quit farming. I knew the man he was speaking of but he retired before my time. When the guy got married (40’s) some people came to shivaree the couple that night and put a stick of dynamite in the Hardy hole of the anvil. Broke it just like that...

604EEB41-7096-4660-87A0-2BEA93F27A5F.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

He must have been a tourist as we have one broken like that here in Oz.

Actually ours looks like a casting flaw.

Came from the north west of Oz - the swearing the day that came off would have been legendary as return for replacement was not exactly an option

My friend’s dad in school had a broken anvil in their farm shop. They were as cheap as anyone I ever knew. They bought both pieces at a farm auction and welded them back together. It wasn’t like it was used for precision work, just something to beat against. When I first saw it, it had already been there for many years. My friend moved away and his dad quit farming, but I bet it’s still there. 

10 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

When the guy got married (40’s) some people came to shivaree the couple that night and put a stick of dynamite in the Hardy hole of the anvil. Broke it just like that...

Another shivaree gone bad.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, acem said:

I know people who could break an anvil with a rubber hammer.

Had a friend like that, he's gone now. Broke my Rock-chucker reloading press! Would have thought that impossible, nope. He was also great at sticking brass in resizing dies. Apparently it was my job to remove them? .221 Fireball was interesting, not much room for the drill or tap!

At one point in history you could send your anvil back to the company and have it repaired. That looks to have been a Fisher brand anvil possibly. They are well thought of quality anvils. I don’t know of anyone who repairs anvils broken that badly now. I have fixed inclusions and broken corners with good success but even if you had both halves of that it would take a tremendous amount of heat, lots of luck, and even more force to put it back together.