Cab-over trucks ‘down under’ and in the rest of the world

Dave Downs

I think in Europe at least it’s the weight laws. I’m definitely no expert. Personally cabovers do hold a place in my heart, I grew up on loadstar cabover 2ton grain trucks. Ran 9670s on a harvest crew and for 10+ years ran a former fire truck cabover for a hay truck but loved the ride when I had a Mack R model 10wheeler and KW 900 for awhile. 

I think in Europe its due to tight streets and overall length restrictions

I sure see a lot more classic cabovers on the road the last few years. when you think about it they were very common in the 70s and 80s

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hillman said:

I think in Europe its due to tight streets and overall length restrictions

I sure see a lot more classic cabovers on the road the last few years. when you think about it they were very common in the 70s and 80s

They were popular here for the same reason. I think they were limited to 60 feet overall? I was in Guntersville Alabama Tuesday. Had to lift my back axle up so I could fit on the scales. 
There wasn’t much of a chance of me “blind siding “ into that hole. It took the shag truck 2 tries! I was able to get hooked up and pulled back out!😁 Alabama is not used to 50 foot grain trailers. 
No, I don’t want a cab over to go with it!

7619B2B4-270E-4104-B747-18519219F40E.jpeg

E2CDDDD4-3D31-4256-9B24-8B3FF10B9CC8.jpeg

1AD131DB-DC9B-49AD-B713-C74A152761F1.jpeg

• Like 3

My friend has a snub nose Louiville tandem dump known as Kermit, the thing is a trip to drive, but has an unreasonably cantankerous 10 speed. 

...our truck tax rates in New Zealand are nothing short of horrendous.....(this is the ''mileage tax''.....not to be confused with ''feul tax.."  ).....Most big frieght units , for g  eneral frieght   / Stock  as in ""live'' )/  Frozen  /  Farm stuff...Baleage...Fertiliser...posts/poles etc etc...,,is trucked on 8 x4    trucks...with big horse power...using  5 axle trailers.... The big useage of conventional    American   marque trucks      is logging ...Although the  """Cheese Cutter"'    Frieght Liners are very popular logging units...all 8x4's.......Also there is the odd hill , to climb, down under...thus the big horse power is usefull....

Also you have to consider that New Zealand is two big Islands....seperated by a three and a half hour Ferry crossing.....it has been nearly 40 years since I ran the Mack with frozen  from North to the bottom of the South Islsand...(starting out from the top of the South  Island...).....and it was due to the "conventional '' status of the ''conventional Mack."....that  engine bonnet had to be paid for on the Ferry.....and it became uneconomic to compete against the Cab-overs.... It used to cost around  $NZ2500.00  dollars per trip....pulling a 40 foot  Freezer   unit....  I imagine today, the cost woluld make your eyes water...

""Marty'' from Southland   , who drives big units may elaborate futher....:)

Mike

20 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...our truck tax rates in New Zealand are nothing short of horrendous.....(this is the ''mileage tax''.....not to be confused with ''feul tax.."  ).....Most big frieght units , for g  eneral frieght   / Stock  as in ""live'' )/  Frozen  /  Farm stuff...Baleage...Fertiliser...posts/poles etc etc...,,is trucked on 8 x4    trucks...with big horse power...using  5 axle trailers.... The big useage of conventional    American   marque trucks      is logging ...Although the  """Cheese Cutter"'    Frieght Liners are very popular logging units...all 8x4's.......Also there is the odd hill , to climb, down under...thus the big horse power is usefull....

Also you have to consider that New Zealand is two big Islands....seperated by a three and a half hour Ferry crossing.....it has been nearly 40 years since I ran the Mack with frozen  from North to the bottom of the South Islsand...(starting out from the top of the South  Island...).....and it was due to the "conventional '' status of the ''conventional Mack."....that  engine bonnet had to be paid for on the Ferry.....and it became uneconomic to compete against the Cab-overs.... It used to cost around  $NZ2500.00  dollars per trip....pulling a 40 foot  Freezer   unit....  I imagine today, the cost woluld make your eyes water...

""Marty'' from Southland   , who drives big units may elaborate futher....:)

Mike

Mike ,remember the " pecunary advantage " of the IH cabover of B.T,s when we were both at the Appleby weigh scales ,both of us loaded with logs .

1 minute ago, Pukeko said:

Mike ,remember the " pecunary advantage " of the IH cabover of B.T,s when we were both at the Appleby weigh scales ,both of us loaded with logs .

Sure do, Brother  ....In   fact I came down through Belgrove t'other     day......and the trucks were lined up at the weighbridge.....and my mind wandered back into the dark mists of time ...and I pondered on that very subject....:)

If you are still up...I am down at the Station.....??

Mike

.......two units, typical of what we see  on this   Farm......For anyone not used to stock trailers...the five axle trailer has a sliding drawbar....which enables  the front unit to be loaded  from right through, via the trailer unit, which is backed up to the height ajustable  ramp.....this for sheep in this case.....

The other unit has just dumped lime in the fertilzer   bin.....rready for arial top dressing....

Mike

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

• Like 2

We have an interesting set of rules here in NZ with our trucks and my comments are a quick generalization of our road rules

A 6x4 tractor unit with a 3 axle pull trailer can be 19m long and take 39 tonne gross

Same trailer with a 8x4 tractor unit keeps the same overall length but can carry up to 42/44 tonne gross

So a cabover tractor , over a long nose, gains some additional length for the trailer thus more carrying capacity

A 8x4 truck with a 5 axle pull trailer , like the stock tpst trailer shown in Mike's photos, can take up to 52? Tonne gross and stretch to 20 m long.

Here in NZ cabovers give us an ability to carry more within the lenght allowed. USA doesn't have this restriction.

• Like 1

. A local MF dealer has a classic Peterbilt cabover with double bunk on their float............. I sure would hate getting in and out of that thing all day 🙃

I hired this guy a couple years ago to take a load to USA, this is the current trend with the cabovers over here

collage top.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

This sounds so neat, but is far too short:

BTW, the trailer IS also a survivor.

I love the looks of those bullnose but that vintage has to be h#*! On the driver both noise and heat. Plus any that are still around are priced like a gold demonstrator. 

Mike, we would call this a truck and a pup. Used to be pretty common on the west coast.

Here in the USA truck lengths changed dramatically sometime around 1990. They decided that if trucks were longer they distributed the weight over bridges better. Bridge laws?

I don't understand all of it but around that time cabovers and short trailers disappeared and long nose convtionals with long trailers showed up. Weight limits went up as well.

Thx-Ace 

GravelPupTrailer003.jpg