I - 12 gov

Doc Brown

I have an I - 12 ser# IS 2610 that doesn't have a governor.  I have been told that many small industrial tractors were made without them so that doesn't surprise me.  The tractor ran fine when I bought it several years ago.  There is something bolted between the manifold and the carb mounting flange and it has linkage to the throttle lever.  It has the IHC logo onit and in one of my manuals it is shown and called a "handy governor".  Does anyone have any knowledge  of this.  I have never seen or heard of this thing.  Thanks in advavce.  Doc 

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I have an I - 12 ser# IS 2610 that doesn't have a governor.  I have been told that many small industrial tractors were made without them so that doesn't surprise me.  The tractor ran fine when I bought it several years ago.  There is something bolted between the manifold and the carb mounting flange and it has linkage to the throttle lever.  It has the IHC logo onit and in one of my manuals it is shown and called a "handy governor".  Does anyone have any knowledge  of this.  I have never seen or heard of this thing.  Thanks in advavce.  Doc 

picture please of left side that will tell the story. 

Doc, I do not have any handy governors on my fleet, But out to the power club they have a 3 wheel shop mule.

I don't think that has a governor on it either. Throttle cable direct to carb linkage.

3 hours ago, 606 diesel said:

My dad's I-12 also has this device on it not sure if it is an actual governor as the throttle linkage hooks directly to the throttle shaft and it sure runs faster than my uncles f-12. It goes down the road faster too. I think it was more of a marketing hype.

plus if it a mule with  foot feed i can see it. 

• Like 1

Yes it appears to be a vacuum controlled governor with an adjusting knob to change the governed speed.  I wonder if was on other models besides the industrials.  My tractor is an INTERNATIONAL I 12 as opposed to the earlier McCormick Deering I 12.  What really surprises me is that in over 35 yrs of collecting and tractor shows I havn't seen one or read an article about them in the collector magazines.  And I never noticed this item on my tractor...mainly because it has been buried in the shed for decades.  Now I am interested to do some work on it this spring.  Live and learn.  That is what makes this hobby interesting and keeps me active 

I have wondered about these governors as well since I have two I-12  tractors. One has it but it is missing on the other if I remember correctly. It would be nice if it was functional to control the engine speed. I have seen a similar control on forklifts. I haven’t been able to source a replacement yet but honestly haven’t looked too much. It would seem like as many older forklifts are still running around that a replacement might be available. BDCD50C1-5A79-4B1E-A223-E2A411F80CBC.thumb.jpeg.dd21457d705d924998a4da3dfb90a6b9.jpegAACE497D-67A5-485B-87E0-46078DDF04EF.thumb.jpeg.500824f701cab4fa86d1e880bece10ca.jpegThis is on an old Yale or Clark truck. I can’t remember which. As you can see it is used in an updraft mounting position.