M&W clutch extension dimensions

Brockpend

i traced it and I hope you can figure out my poor drawing.if something is not clear let me know.it was done quickly print it off and I think you can make it out

mwclex.jpg

DSCI0934.JPG

DSCI0933.JPG

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, hillman said:

i traced it and I hope you can figure out my poor drawing.if something is not clear let me know.it was done quickly print it off and I think you can make it out

mwclex.jpg

DSCI0934.JPG

DSCI0933.JPG

You are the MAN!!! Thanks a lot!

36 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

What does the extension do? Make it easier to push the clutch in since you wouldn't have to push pedal as far in?

You have to push it the whole stroke of the pedal. It actually pushes it less than without the helper but it adds mechanical advantage. If you use a clutch with more or heavier springs this saves your leg especially with a loader . I think I have a M&W and another brand in the basement to put on a future project

• Like 1

So what do you do about the whole not stopping and gear grinding thing with one of these installed?

To get a mechanical advantage you would need to lose range of motion on the throwout bearing. More pedal push for less throwout bearing movement.

Doesn't that cause problems?

I never found an M clutch particularly hard to push.

8 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I never found an M clutch particularly hard to push.

I was about 5-6 years old when I started driving the '51 M pulling the hay rope,  forward and reverse in the same tracks about six times for each load of hay.  It helped me a great deal.

The total distance the throw-out bearing moved with the clutch lever extension on decreased a little, but seeing the '51 M was our loader and chore tractor, plus had the 2M-E picker mounted on it about 15-16 years, and I'm about 95% sure it still has the factory installed clutch in it,  I don't think the lever extension decreased the clutch life much if at all, seeing it's 70th birthday is coming up next Tuesday.

I remember when I started doing fieldwork with the SM-TA at about 8-9 yrs old I had a heck of a time pushing in the clutch pedal. Dad installed a clamp-on pedal extension that angled the pedal, made it awkward, I'd slide forward in the seat so my butt caught the front edge of the seat cushion and push the pedal in.  But the TA and changes in the clutch linkage prevented using the M&W lever extension.  I "Think" the pressure plate in the M/SM has 12 pressure springs verses 9 in the H/SH, that's what the extension is over-coming.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

To get a mechanical advantage you would need to lose range of motion on the throwout bearing. More pedal push for less throwout bearing movement.

Doesn't that cause problems?

that particular one in the pic came off a W6 25 plus years ago. It was hard to shift due to a little excessive grinding. I took it off and it seemed to cure the problem. I felt the same as you are saying. 

23 hours ago, hillman said:

mwclex.jpg

DSCI0934.JPG

DSCI0933.JPG

M&W gave more mechanical advantage than this other kind I have from a parts tractor. M&W is 2 1/8" CTC as mentioned, the stamped one is 1 7/8" CTC 

Inlaws have a M uncle George bought new in '50 . They added behlen ps, m&w hand clutch, valves for 2 remotes , it had a power pack put in at some point according to a neighbor along with the clutch extension. It had a pipe loader and it had a hay loader wooden slat bucket that they made loose hay with early on . Uncle George went to IH in Hinsdale among other places as an engineer from 56 to 81 . That generation is not with us any more so I won't learn more than I have already about it

IMG_20211201_193305334.jpg

IMG_20211201_193315580.jpg

IMG_20211201_193321639.jpg

IMG_20211201_193516357.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bitty said:

M&W gave more mechanical advantage than this other kind I have from a parts tractor. M&W is 2 1/8" CTC as mentioned, the stamped one is 1 7/8" CTC 

Inlaws have a M uncle George bought new in '50 . They added behlen ps, m&w hand clutch, valves for 2 remotes , it had a power pack put in at some point according to a neighbor along with the clutch extension. It had a pipe loader and it had a hay loader wooden slat bucket that they made loose hay with early on . Uncle George went to IH in Hinsdale among other places as an engineer from 56 to 81 . That generation is not with us any more so I won't learn more than I have already about it

IMG_20211201_193305334.jpg

IMG_20211201_193315580.jpg

IMG_20211201_193321639.jpg

IMG_20211201_193516357.jpg

thanks for posting the pic of the formed up one. I never seen one before. would be inexpensive to make

• Like 1