686 smoothing the lane

Sledgehammer

I wanted to smooth the lane down before getting some rock added. Almost 1/2 mile long. The 686 does a nice job with the 7’ grader scraper.  You can put the teeth down and bring rock back up if needed. Literature says 90hp for this. I’m sure I don’t have 90hp but it will make her groan some with the teeth down running up hill. No teeth today. Just smoothing and bringing rock in from the edges. I’ve got her winter weight on just in case of white stuff 😉

945E5D6A-C44D-4522-A268-FFEE3DCFE86D.jpeg

8C41A3C2-3DCB-4FA4-9261-F0427DC15D09.jpeg

67346126-E5B2-453E-ADDD-71DB292E51FA.jpeg

96F5B0D5-D625-4AA8-BF7C-164CEAB515F5.jpeg

• Like 25

• Sledgehammer changed the title to 686 smoothing the lane

You can't get white stuff with wind by the looks of pic #3.  Those snow traps were gone here years ago.  Raise them up and let them wind blow it clear.  

You can bring them tractor up here for storage for the rest of my life if you want.  Dad bought a 686 German new and that was the gutsiest tractor for it's size I've ever been around.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

You can't get white stuff with wind by the looks of pic #3.  Those snow traps were gone here years ago.  Raise them up and let them wind blow it clear.  

You can bring them tractor up here for storage for the rest of my life if you want.  Dad bought a 686 German new and that was the gutsiest tractor for it's size I've ever been around.

Snow traps is about right. We weed eat the roadsides every fall the whole way in hopes it will blow through better. Last winter it was 3-4’ deep in places.  I picked up something in hopes of battling that also. This tractor has the 312 and I’ve always felt like it had good power for its size.

EBBFDBE0-AB7F-4F6A-92E7-61B895393FC1.jpeg

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Nice 686 you got there😁.  Good looking rubber on it to.   I like the ROPS too

Thank you. It’s the factory ROPS for that tractor. 

Blower is still in the barn but should be ready to hook up for action as needed. That was when I brought it home and went over things. It didn’t need much but I wanted to be sure. 

• Like 2

I would love to get a nice snowblower but I want something that mounts up front, after numerous auto accidents I'm not a fan of twisting my neck and back, then that removes the pto and your looking at different drive options 

4 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

Sledge did you wash it right away? It got dust on it😁

Hate to see something that Purdy get dirty

Nope, unhooked and put the tractor back in my shop where it stays. It got a bath right before and after I moved the plow....hose exploded when I went to raise the plow.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, hardtail said:

I would love to get a nice snowblower but I want something that mounts up front, after numerous auto accidents I'm not a fan of twisting my neck and back, then that removes the pto and your looking at different drive options 

Don't discount the inverted snowblowers. I have used them in the past and love them, and finally bought one of my own this summer to mount behind a similar tractor (70 Hydro, also with the 312D) to clear our road this winter.  It will clear just about anything the tractor can scramble through.  Not great for severe drifts -- though there are workarounds -- but excels at most everything else, and you don't have to look or drive backwards.

That's a pretty tractor.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, idahydro said:

Don't discount the inverted snowblowers. I have used them in the past and love them, and finally bought one of my own this summer to mount behind a similar tractor (70 Hydro, also with the 312D) to clear our road this winter.  It will clear just about anything the tractor can scramble through.  Not great for severe drifts -- though there are workarounds -- but excels at most everything else, and you don't have to look or drive backwards.

That's a pretty tractor.

Got any pictures of your setup?

29 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Got any pictures of your setup?

Not yet, but I will take some of the whole thing when the blower goes back on.  In the meantime here's just the blower.  92 inch unit. I took the scraper off the back because there isn't any asphalt within 10 miles of here, but the residential guys really like them for clearing driveways because they can go right up to the garage door and take it down to bare concrete in one pass.

Edit:  Mostly I bought it because I liked the color.

blower_1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice pictures.  I used to help a local farmer bale hay who had a 686 diesel he put on the small square baler.  I'd like to find a nice 666 or 686 diesel to go along with my 656.

As a kid I remember several farm places around here that had driveways like your 3rd picture, that are in a low area or a cut through a hill.  But most have been raised up or moved.  We probably get more snow than you but they fill in so easily with snow like that.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:01 AM, idahydro said:

Not yet, but I will take some of the whole thing when the blower goes back on.  In the meantime here's just the blower.  92 inch unit. I took the scraper off the back because there isn't any asphalt within 10 miles of here, but the residential guys really like them for clearing driveways because they can go right up to the garage door and take it down to bare concrete in one pass.

Edit:  Mostly I bought it because I liked the color.

blower_1.jpg

This is an interesting setup.  I have never seen such a thing.  Would probably work good in many situations.  I usually just clean my driveway with the skidloader, only use a blower if we have a big storm or get a really big drift.  Would probably be nice for the typical snows but not as handy for opening up the big drifts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 9:00 PM, IH686neuss said:

Great tractors we have a german powered one its always been my favorite tractor! 

20211006_181739.jpg

TA delete?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep it is steve. When it was our main field tractor we had a excel cab on it and weighted down. We wiped out three ta clutches and two ta planeteries. Dad got tired of replacing them. Aperently it cant hold the almost 80 hp it puts out from factory. Only real problem we have evet had with the tractor besides the rear main leak when dad first bought it new 

Snow blowers are nice but for my use they don't work its hard to keep them from blowing all your gravel off too unless its drifted three feet deep if the snow is level 8" or less I don't bother blowing it or pushing it off , I pack it down make a wide track I like keeping my rock on the drive instead of 20 ft in the field

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

Snow blowers are nice but for my use they don't work its hard to keep them from blowing all your gravel off too unless its drifted three feet deep if the snow is level 8" or less I don't bother blowing it or pushing it off , I pack it down make a wide track I like keeping my rock on the drive instead of 20 ft in the field

I wondered about them throwing rock badly. The factory skid shoes on mine were all but worn off so I made a set of new ones to bolt on and incorporated skids off a front mount snow plow to be a wear item and keep the cutting edge up off the gravel a couple inches hopefully.  Finished them a few days ago so obviously I don’t know if they will work as intended but I’m going to try. Worst case scenario, I take the cast skid off and still have a nicer factory style skid than the originals.

They came with the washers and 1 spacer. I added another spacer to make them tight and eliminate slop. I matched the mounting holes up with the originals. A mill would have been nice to cut those slots but that hasn’t happened.....yet.....

31F512B8-C48F-457A-892C-94DC407A1639.jpeg

FF45BEF7-3626-4132-A2A9-37CB3B341B54.jpeg

B11F4A0E-C667-4901-AE01-C99FDAC21D18.jpeg

• Like 1