loader tractor questions

pt756

kind of always looking for 4 wheel drive loader tractor, seems right now pickens are slim, mx 120, or even a 5240, somehting to give the 856  a break, started to look at some john deeres, 64 series or 7200 series, didnt realize there were so many transmission options on a deere, they list 4 choices, i see a lot of 6420 ,s for sale , along with some 7210.s  only see one or 2 agcos in the age bracket we could swing, maybe, right now evreything seems to be bringing  a premium, and then you look at new hollands, where do you start?

4 minutes ago, pt756 said:

kind of always looking for 4 wheel drive loader tractor, seems right now pickens are slim, mx 120, or even a 5240, somehting to give the 856  a break, started to look at some john deeres, 64 series or 7200 series, didnt realize there were so many transmission options on a deere, they list 4 choices, i see a lot of 6420 ,s for sale , along with some 7210.s  only see one or 2 agcos in the age bracket we could swing, maybe, right now evreything seems to be bringing  a premium, and then you look at new hollands, where do you start?

If you want a bullet proof JD don't go past the 7010 series.  20 series could be alright too we just never had one.  I think the transmission was called Powerquad or something like that.  Either 16 or 20 speed with the difference being the extra range on the 20 speed.  I have run my neighbors 5240 several times and plus a different neighbor's MX 110.  Both have a pile hours on them and keep going.  

I have always heard good things about the Deere 6420.  I once briefly drove a 6420 with the IVT transmission...slick!

Clean Maxxums are getting to be rare.  Great tractors and the price reflects that.

I am anti-Kubota since they are often so much lighter than competitive machines and I don't like the ergonomics of the cab.  I feel reputation exceeds reality with Kubota.

7 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

I feel reputation exceeds reality with Kubota.

I never use to think much of them, local dealer sold Case IH & Kubota, local market is primarily utility tractors, they dropped CaseIH many years ago and went full line Kubota. They were selling the orange ones easily compared to red ones. I was sort of upset at the prospect of not being able to buy a new red locally, but in reality it made me an orange customer with no regrets, very happy with the performance & quality.

Next tractor for me will be orange as well unless I go back into the Pre-NH era Case IH tractors. The old Maxxum  & CX were tough to beat. I am very hesitant to buy any newer red stuff, but would have a new orange one easily. 

Kubota does tend to run a bit lighter, but cast wheels and fluid are pretty well standard. Most farms here aren't heavy tillage, more livestock, hay & forage based. I can handle silage bales with no counterweight. 

19 hours ago, pt756 said:

What HP does it have to be?  NH had some decent stuff in the 90s and 2Ks  TL100A, TS110 etc.   TL Fiat based and solid, FS Ford based and solid. 

Maxxums went nuts price wise as well here. 

Deere 6410 and the basic 6420 should be solid. 7210 and 7410 would work well too. LH shuttle nice if so equipped. Nice tractors. 

Sorry but the TS series NH hasnt impressed me. Operated two of them and never cared for either.  Shifting was terrible on one, the other had terribly placed hydraulic remote levers, cables for remotes stretched badly, replaced them all twice in 1500 hrs. Parking brake was chinsy on both of them. 

20 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so while we are at it here and he brought up the 5240, whats the diff between it and a 5140, or a 5130/5230 ? 

reliable? durable? 

I don't know what the differences are other then series.  Guess I am not qualified to answer. The 51xx is the early series followed by 52xx.  Later 52xx have a neutral position in the power shuttle. 

Compared to new standards the cab is small and loud at pto speed.  They seem to bring plenty of money here.  I would buy another one.  Maybe a 2wd maxxum or a 2wd magnum is on the wish list.

id love a magnum but way too heavy for hauling around mowing - trying to figure out next tractor in 4wd to mow with that wouldnt be heavy but 100hp at pto those seem hard to find these days - i want reliable i dont want all the gadgets n gizmos that go wrong