Thunder snow

1256pickett

I’m ready to go to bed before my night shift job been getting hammered with snowstorm this afternoon. I’ve experienced this thunder snow before but only 15-20 minutes worth. Going on about 3&1/2 hours and 6-7”+ in that time. Considering I live in a lake effect snow belt I’m actually surprised we don’t get the thunder snow more often. I’m not looking forward to drive to work in a few hours. 

• Like 1

Seems like we are having more lightning with rain in the summer and more instances of Thunder Snow in the winter. 

Not sure what is causing it but it is not the anomaly it once was.

Hope the roads are not too bad for you tonight

Be safe!

5 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Seems like we are having more lightning with rain in the summer and more instances of Thunder Snow in the winter. 

Not sure what is causing it but it is not the anomaly it once was.

Hope the roads are not too bad for you tonight

Be safe!

Worst part of drive is the fact that I like to oversleep! Good tires make a world of difference! But not when the guy ahead of me in the import has all seasons. 

• Like 1

We usually get thundersnow several times a season in intense lake effect bands

Flying over the Great Lakes the cloud bands are quite visible. I believe the snow band has to be very intense to get thunder snow and the bands can be quite narrow. We sometimes get a little ocean effect snow but the conditions have to be perfect to get the cold air turned around to blow over the Gulf of Maine over us. The temperature difference is not as great either as I don't believe the ocean ever gets as warm as the lakes.

When we do get thunder snow it's during a huge storm in blizzard conditions. Kinda cool!

Flying out of Boston west-bound years ago and looking at the snow bands in otherwise clear cold air we'd check the weather of the airports that we figured were under the bands. Often we'd be seeing reports showing 1/8th mile vis in heavy snow.

I'm quite glad NOT to be living in lake effect snow country.

New Englander, it is quite a interesting phenomena actually the way these bands work. Having lived my whole life here right at east tip of Lake Ontario where the lake effect is probably the worst in the nation you learn to predict when you will get them. has to have all the ingredients, wind direction, warm open water(Ontario is only great Lake that does not freeze over) and cold air temps. We actually get a fair amount of lake effect rain as well when conditions are right.

When the lake effect machine is fired up you can drive from sunshine and blue skies to a wall of snow where you can't see your hood in a miles distance. Travelers that are not used to it can find themselves in trouble in a hurry.

Here is a clip that shows how it is here

I honestly haven't experienced it very much in Oswego County, and we get bombed with lake effect.

I lived in Buffalo though, during the October, 2006 storm. That was thunder and snow, and you know how that turned out.

For those who weren't there, it (no exaggeration) dramatically and permanently changed the visual image of the region. Thousands and thousands of trees destroyed from heavy wet snow falling on trees that all had all their leaves. A full year later, there were still tree trucks around from out of state cleaning up the mess.

28 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I honestly haven't experienced it very much in Oswego County, and we get bombed with lake effect.

I lived in Buffalo though, during the October, 2006 storm. That was thunder and snow, and you know how that turned out.

For those who weren't there, it (no exaggeration) dramatically and permanently changed the visual image of the region. Thousands and thousands of trees destroyed from heavy wet snow falling on trees that all had all their leaves. A full year later, there were still tree trucks around from out of state cleaning up the mess.

That was a bad one. People stranded on the thruway for hours. I think my cousin was in his truck for four hours before he got to a hotel. Yesterday I think was just as bad but leaves were all off the trees and it hit inland farther. I don’t think the thruway got half an inch, I got about a foot in four hours.