Combine Milestone Today

Dirt_Floor_Poor

28 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Any major work done to it besides the usual wear items?

BTO wannabes that had it before us managed to blow the engine and main engine gearcase in less than 1,500 hours. It hasn’t had any engine work since then. It’s had one planetary final drive replaced. Been through a couple of hydrostats and 4wd motors. Other than that just wear parts. 

Good job, that really says a lot about how you guys maintain and operate equipment. How many hours did the machine have when you got it? Is that a 12.5 litre powertech?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Good job, that really says a lot about how you guys maintain and operate equipment. How many hours did the machine have when you got it? Is that a 12.5 litre powertech?

It has the 8.1 in it. I don’t remember exactly how many it had. We traded a 9510 for it. Our 9510 had 4,400 engine hours on it when we traded it in. We put about 3,800 of those on it. I think this one had about 2,000 on it when we traded. I remember it was about half as many as the one we traded. 

• Thanks 1

The 10 series Deeres are good combines. Probably the best walker machine built. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

BTO wannabes that had it before us managed to blow the engine and main engine gearcase in less than 1,500 hours. It hasn’t had any engine work since then. It’s had one planetary final drive replaced. Been through a couple of hydrostats and 4wd motors. Other than that just wear parts. 

Neighbor of ours bought the very first Maximizer (9600) in the area.  Its a 89' model.  They used it up til 2 years ago.  Engine started knocking so they parked it and got a 9770 STS.  4,200 hrs on it and far as I know they didn't replace any major components.  

One of my neighbors lost their 9500 to fire this fall. It had 9700 hours on it. 

My father in laws 1480 had 11,000 hours on it when he traded it for a 1680. 

73DF75CB-0F94-4B8E-86FC-A92FD716885E.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

One of my neighbors lost their 9500 to fire this fall. It had 9700 hours on it. 

My father in laws 1480 had 11,000 hours on it when he traded it for a 1680. 

73DF75CB-0F94-4B8E-86FC-A92FD716885E.jpeg

That’s too bad about the fire. I’ve had lots of them, but always got them put out. I don’t think we’ll ever trade ours. It already has so many hours I don’t think anyone else would want it. If we get something different, we’ll probably just keep it. It’s like a member of the family. 

9000hr that's is very impressive I've seen a couple of the Deere's 9600 and similar around the 5-6000 hr mark and that impressive they defiantly built them to last back then see a lot of 1680 and 2388 comin on the market with around 5000 hrs, have yet to see one with 7-9000 hrs yet thou

kind of settles a guy down when he thinks his combine is getting high houred but seeing alot of guys are getting even more hours out of them is great, maintenance is the key

seen machinery pete had a 2366 with 680 hours sold for 91000 bucks  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

That’s too bad about the fire. I’ve had lots of them, but always got them put out. I don’t think we’ll ever trade ours. It already has so many hours I don’t think anyone else would want it. If we get something different, we’ll probably just keep it. It’s like a member of the family. 

The 9500 was pretty whipped. They plugged it and shut it off and had to be jump started. When they hooked up the cables it sparked and lit off the bean dust. The owner and operator is 82.  They have a nice 9610 now

53 minutes ago, wheatking said:

9000hr that's is very impressive I've seen a couple of the Deere's 9600 and similar around the 5-6000 hr mark and that impressive they defiantly built them to last back then see a lot of 1680 and 2388 comin on the market with around 5000 hrs, have yet to see one with 7-9000 hrs yet thou

kind of settles a guy down when he thinks his combine is getting high houred but seeing alot of guys are getting even more hours out of them is great, maintenance is the key

seen machinery pete had a 2366 with 680 hours sold for 91000 bucks  

It’s rare to see real high hour ones in corn country, but there are some. Good corn is really hard on the sheet metal, but a little stainless can make them better than new. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, acem said:

My 1480 has around 8000 hours. It was well north of 7000 when I bought it. Thx-Ace 

How many hours of that was in rice? I would think a 7-8000 hour combine in rice would be so thin you could just about see through the sheet metal on the side walls. The 2 highest-wearing areas for a combine in North America that I have ever seen is in rice country...and in the Pacific Northwest where they deal with all that volcanic ash that is just as abrasive as rice.

I don't know. It was originally a grain combine and converted to rice. I can tell by the details. However it appears to have been rice for a long time.

You replace augers, tubes, troughs etc. Or reline them like I did my grain tank. Hardsurfacing helps alot.

The wear bars on the rotor are replaceable. Supposedly you can wear a hole in a rotor but I've never seen one.

The discharge beater on my 1460 has holes starting to show. I will have to replace it soon. It has around 3000 hours..

Thx-Ace