Pulling grain cart

756puller

Know I need to find out from the law officially but. Dealership I work at uses a 1 ton diesel dually for pulling the great big grain carts around. We took the semi to a welding shop to have them look into putting a hitch on the back. The welding shop ended up just putting a hitch on the semi. Does anyone know of it's legal for a dealership to use a semi to drag around grain carts to customers in Nebraska? Service manager thinks since the grain carts don't have brakes it's illegal to pull with semi. The rest of us think it is legal cause we don't want to break the hitch on the pickup and loose the graincart going down the high way.

4 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Know I need to find out from the law officially but. Dealership I work at uses a 1 ton diesel dually for pulling the great big grain carts around. We took the semi to a welding shop to have them look into putting a hitch on the back. The welding shop ended up just putting a hitch on the semi. Does anyone know of it's legal for a dealership to use a semi to drag around grain carts to customers in Nebraska? Service manager thinks since the grain carts don't have brakes it's illegal to pull with semi. The rest of us think it is legal cause we don't want to break the hitch on the pickup and loose the graincart going down the high way.

A guy here in Illinois was pulling anhydrous tanks with his semi and the cops harassed him and ticketed him constantly because of the no brake issue. (In other words just raising revenue...)

The dealership around here uses their semi to deliver the larger trailed equipment that they can't put on a lowboy.  It makes more sense using a 16,000+ semi tractor verses a one ton pickup that is probably half the weight but the dot may not see it that way.

• Like 3

I saw a dealer's pickup pull a grain cart past my house about 10-12 years ago.  Most now are pulled by a farm tractor.

Even a 1-ton Dually wouldn't have the stopping power of a tandem axle semi-tractor. 6 big brakes and 10 tires Trumps 4 smaller brakes and 6 smaller tires.  Long as there's a safety chain from the grain cart to the semi-tractor and a pigtail for lights I wouldn't think there would be a problem.  I've never seen any kind of brakes on a grain cart, electric or air. I've seen brakes on big 4-wheel wagons, electric I think.

I can't imagine a law enforcement officer stopping a commercial truck properly licensed and insured delivering a piece of farm equipment, a tool of agriculture, to a farmer with nothing being over-size or over-weight.  Ha-Ha, yes really I can, I think most cops would ticket their own Mother!

• Like 2

Local dealerships of all colors use semis to pull large equipment here. Some have weight brackets with suitcase weights over the rear 5th wheel to aid in braking ability. This is Southeastern Illinois.

I would think everyone would be thrilled that they are using a semi tractor and NOT a pickup or tractor.   Heavy, safe, faster, good mirrors/visibility. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I would think everyone would be thrilled that they are using a semi tractor and NOT a pickup or tractor.   Heavy, safe, faster, good mirrors/visibility. 

X2 will add better stopping power when done right

• Like 1

We haven't had a 1-ton dually for a pull truck in over 10 years...not even sure if my current employer would allow it anymore. All of our stuff is pulled by an older Peterbilt, including smaller hay rakes. Like Sledgehammer talked about, we have a big weight box that can be loaded/unloaded quickly with a forklift if you are dealing with something with little or negative tongue weight. When you are hauling 50-80' air seeders for a couple hundred miles you need some weight on the back end of the truck in case of emergency.

My employer won't even let our salesmen pull balers/small hay rakes/lawn mowers with their own company pickups anymore. Insurance prohibits it for our company.

My old boss, on the other hand....let's just say if you could put a Quadtrac on a tandem axle trailer that you could pull with a 3/4 ton pickup, he would be all for it. He used to have a fleet of 1-ton duallys for pull trucks.