1954 td6 skid shovel !

brian falcone

Well...here it is.

The backstory is it came from a municipality in maine...was purchased by a landowner in mass. He used it sporadically. Eventually bought a backhoe snd tje dozer dat after batteries died 8 years ago. They tried moving it last year after rebuilding starter....it turned but wouldnt fire. He show me video of it cranking. Said start is possibly turning the wrong way ???  Anyway the starter does nothing now but he said it would run. Hour meter shows 0970 hours so I'm guessing it's broken. Said machine rolled freely with no popping from finals.20211127_134009.thumb.jpg.f24d307ed1a93dc949018642f750c98f.jpg20211127_134009.thumb.jpg.f24d307ed1a93dc949018642f750c98f.jpg20211127_134009.thumb.jpg.f24d307ed1a93dc949018642f750c98f.jpg20211127_134002.thumb.jpg.faeacd08857cfab424e1847e6516d76c.jpg20211127_133527.thumb.jpg.15dc2faaa5cee5469a0afa1f55a56633.jpg

• brian falcone changed the title to 1954 td6 skid shovel !

...well, track   chains   are never going to be a worry for you...they are so little used that the yellow paint is still showing ....I realise that is quite obvious  !!!..but great to see

...blower fan is unusual,,,but very good having a blower fan  on those old tractors......tractor looks really tidy....

..as noted before, the ''loader ''  frame adds another very negative dimension to serviceing cluches and brakes...but ..to me...  the way the under carriage  looks....a small price to pay !!

Mike

• Like 1

Looks like a solid find. @mike newmanThe blower fan could have given someone the idea that the motor was cranking backwards? It pushes air through instead of pulling.

@Ian Beale has a sharp eye. That is a lot of stitch weld for a small round rod. I would guess some sort of Idea for a small attachment of some kind???

Good luck with it!

7 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

In the first photo of the front idler - it looks like there has been welding on the bottom of the idler slide?

Good eye, think normal is bolted on but I don't see holes on the upper casting to accommodate this?

46 minutes ago, brian falcone said:

In The video of it cranking the fan is turning clockwise  when looking at the tractor from the front.

that is the correct rotation of most engines. rotation is actually viewed as sitting on the machine, or viewed from the rear of the engine. so its called counterclockwise rotation, and it turning correctly. .  i see he has the fan blowing out the rad also. should be a good little unit.

9 hours ago, brian falcone said:

The strip of round bar welded to the idler mounts are on both sides...wear plating perhaps ? Theres mo cracks,no welds, no missing bolts, not even a dent or bend on the entire machine

IIRC The sliders on those had no provision for taking up wear in the slot.  And, from experience, if you let it get too big with too much free play then you ran into the adjustment screw breaking.  And , if you made a better screw. it could transmit down the line and break recoil spring bolts and the retaining studs that hold the front recoil housing to the track frame.

As the rest of it shows little wear I guess that modification poses an interesting "Why"

Hardtail - The early ones were one piece and the bolted ones came later - I saw pictures but never a live one

• Like 1

You are sure that the front idler brackets are solid castings with the edges/lip not broken off at some time?  Hard to tell from the picture but maybe the welded rod has patched back together a broken edge?  I only say this because going up and over a log/stone whatever- if you go too hard you can break these outer front idlers off at the edge exactly where the rod is welded in your picture. (I know- I did this 40+ years ago when I knew nothing about dozers and crashed over a log and broke both front idlers off. Mind you, it was 25 below at the time).  I can't tell that from your picture but you will know.

• Like 1

Keep us posted to this interesting mystery.  The stitch welded round rod does not seem substantial enough to be a repair and it does not seem to be located in such a way to take up wear??