Compressed Air, Fence Post Driver's

DroschaFamilyDairy

Our Dairy Farm is Has a Rotational Grazing Program, 105 acres of Pasture, Surrounded & separated by 4.5 miles of Electrified 5 strands of High Tensile Fence wire mounted on insulators & secured to Wooden Fence post's, 18 Paddocks, 150 Gallon Rubber made watering tanks in each Paddock, Miles of Buried water lines,

Spring of 2005, New established seedings, New Cow Lane's, 40 New Purchased Heifers, 110 Free Stall Barn Raised Dairy Cow's & 25 Heifers All introduced to the Grazing System.

Most of the Established Older Dairy Cows figured out the "Hot Wire" at the Fence line, Several of our Own Raised Heifers & Half of the Purchased Dairy Heifers Tangled with a Hot Fence System almost every chance they Had, Some heifers Jumped and Cleared the High Tensile wire, others plowed Face first into the strands of wire.

Usually a Large storm, Thunder & Lightning, most would come running to a Shelter and Miss the Gate Entrance and keep running, Some Looked terrified and wanted to Leave "Dodge City"!!, We didn't keep those blood lines on the Dairy Farm,  3 Years of Heavy Culling to get the Dairy Cow temperament we needed for Dairy Pasture Production.

November 2021,  Today's count of 5 inch diameter Treated Post's,  43 wooden Fence posts have rotted off at the soil line, 10 of those are Gate carrying Post's.

We Have a Hydraulic motor Driven Post driver, Adapted for our Skid steer,  Easy to Maneuver around the cow Walkways, Need's 2 people to operate.

We are thinking about TSC style T-Posts, and replace the obvious rotting wood post problem's that will happen every year, The larger Corner post's we will use "used 6 inch well pipe" cut to length.

I Have watched Video's of a Compressed Air Post Driver called "ManSaver",   

Seem's to be a One man Job,   Obviously an air compressor is needed, out on the Pasture.

Any of you folk's Used one of this Brand?    I saw a "Stricker" Brand post driver used a few years ago, it was almost like driving a post By Hand, not much air power.

The price is about $700 Dollars for a "ManSaver", 

Ya, I Know,   I could Drive a Lot of post's by Hand for that amount of money,..I'm 65 years Old, I Drove 4 Post's with the post driver that "My" Grandfather used 70 years ago ,I can feel the Muscles in my shoulders, Screaming at me as I type this!!!    I enjoy Hugging my Grandchildren, I don't want to miss any of that, Because of trying to save a few buck's and not purchase a "Farm Luxury", An Air Powered Fence Post Driver!!

Looking forward to anyone's comments,

Jim Droscha 

How rocky is your soil? I've driven in a lot of steel posts with a front end loader. It takes a careful operator in the loader because the steel fence posts will bend easily if they hit something hard. Take a steel bar with you to make a starter hole if needed. 

change those few out with hand tools and move on.....good luck!

short of $10K unit we had them ALL ,and ALL are JUNK !!!! after the first week.

including the air, which has done < 100 posts,.... fix lube repair,every 4, posts

old man was good for ideas,try  latest " new' improved and "make work",some times we changed/moved, 5 mile every month.

local contractor even had our $8K ss pounder,  shipped out and back (600 m) for 15 m of sheeple picket,on major media event.       it doesnt work well in "real farm" conditions.

70 % of the posts we put in/replace now, I drive with the cheapest manual pounder (repair 4-5x yr)

short of what mader installs you will be replacing every few years,anything regular retail ( !!! JUNK !!)

best thing for wood post (order 20% extra for back stock replacement )is,3-4" ss drill and plate tamper on $40K backhoe,or add to the $ of milk and hire done.

2 farms (now cidiot ville)each had 5 mi + of hired wood and 6 wire. it is easy maintenance and works 90%,save people,nature and calves with rubber soles.

home farm has 1 mile HT and 7 m of various china temp  %#$^&%  works 80% with above caveat , usually < $7  and 10 minute repair

marcellus  was suppose to hire 15 mile installed 20 yrs ago,but so far ,they wasted 5x that on consultants and bribes.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking mader656 had bought a fancy t post driver.  I think our fence was put in around 2008.  I have a few bad posts.  I guess there will be a lot more coming.

i am 67 years young and have a skidrill pounder like Maders .its a bit heavy for me to carry all day but you done have hoses to drag around and if you can walk to the fence in rough terrain you can drive the post. Wood posts arent what they used to .

I use the same skidril as Edward porter. I've got some pipe adapters for it too. Best I've done was 60 t post in 23 minutes not counting layout time. It's about 45 lbs about 5 seconds per t post. 

• Thanks 1

In your part of the country it would take the drive to worthington Indiana and get American Timber and steel wood post from https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/cca-treated-postblunt.html

They are spendy  but by far the best wood post I've ever seen. The treat goes all the way thru. They weigh 2x what the same post weighs here. 

Farm Fence solutions would also have great options for hand held post drivers. 

If you have help consistently a montana 350 would be a really  good option. 

https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/t-rex-350e-driver.html

Mounts on your skid yet small  enough for t posts.....

24 minutes ago, mader656 said:

In your part of the country it would take the drive to worthington Indiana and get American Timber and steel wood post from https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/cca-treated-postblunt.html

They are spendy  but by far the best wood post I've ever seen. The treat goes all the way thru. They weigh 2x what the same post weighs here. 

Farm Fence solutions would also have great options for hand held post drivers. 

If you have help consistently a montana 350 would be a really  good option. 

https://www.shopfarmfencesolutions.com/t-rex-350e-driver.html

Mounts on your skid yet small  enough for t posts.....

Thanks for the Information, We Started our Fence project in the Fall of 2003, Our Post Driver is a Large Welded unit, A Rubber wheel Spinning at a slow speed Rubbing against an I-Beam, "Drives the Pounding shaft towards the Sky, Release the Handle and the Heavy unit Drops on the Top of the Post, driving it into the Ground, I Know Most Cattle Folks Have seen these type of Units, But for the Crop producers that Haven't seen one, it's one step above a "CaveMan's" Idea of driving a Post into the Ground, Our driver Is Not a Brand name Unit, a local Machinist Built these out of his Shop, The "Ram" weighs a 1000lbs., In the spring a person can drive a Blunt ended Wooden post into the Pasture Ground in 6 or 7 Hit's, about 15 seconds.

We have a Pipe fixture attachment that attaches to our Skid Steer unit, Two people can drive T-Post's, but not as safe as wooden post's.

mmi,  We wondered about the shelf life of a light weight unit, you answered that question for us, Thank you.

The "Montana 350" was Demonstrated several years ago at one of the farm progress show's, Very Clean Unit, Fail safe Instructions every where on the unit.

Jim Droscha

i have driven 1000s of T post with mine. Just add a little oil now and then.. Sometimes in the spring got to be careful as it will drive them too deep. Takes no time to in dry or wet conditions rocky shalely to sink a post. it would help if I was younger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

How rocky is your soil? I've driven in a lot of steel posts with a front end loader. It takes a careful operator in the loader because the steel fence posts will bend easily if they hit something hard. Take a steel bar with you to make a starter hole if needed. 

Make yourself a full length dolly out of pipe that you can slip over the post to stop it bending.  We used to do that when using the TD6 to drive them.

We do our manual drivers full length like that too - extra weight and no guessing on when they are in far enough

• Like 2

I saw the county Highway dept. driving steel posts one day last week.  Had a pickup with couple hundred posts in it, 3 guys, one driving, two setting up posts to drive, another guy in the brand new Deere 644 endloader pressing them into the ground.  The really didn't seem that much faster than Dad and I punching in steel posts into hog fence between hog pastures 50+ years ago. We had 20 posts setting on the loader arms, I drove the M with loader, and Dad stretched the fence into place and set the posts in place.  We'd do 3/4 mile of fence in 4-5 hours including setting a couple end posts and unrolling & stretching woven wire.

• Thanks 1