730 plow

Red Collector

Does anybody have any experiences and/ or opinions of a 730 plow? We have one that is hydraulically adjustable. I'm guessing that one or more of the bottoms is siezed up... run the cylinder out and it wants to bend those double bars that the bottoms are pinned to. I don't really like the fact that there is no way to get grease to the "turrets" that run up through the frame. I have been trying to soak with penetrating oil, but no real luck yet. Thought if I could get them free I could try and drop them from the frame, wire wheel, and coat with anti-sieze, but again, no luck so far. Just looking for a few tips, opinions, tricks, stories, etc.

Don't waste your time with penetrating oil. If you ever do get it apart you'll see that the penetrating oil did nothing of the sort.

If you can figure out which one is seized, get some heat on the pivot. Doesn't have to be an oxy-acetylene torch. Get one of those big propane weed burner deals, a good one, hook it up to your grill tank, and go to town.

Unpin the bottoms from the bars and get a big old pipe wrench on there to see which one is seized.

• Like 2

Same thing as a seized up front axle on a wagon gear, or those "adjustable" axle tubes on the front of your 806!   HEAT, BEAT, REPEAT.  As MAtt said, disconnect the bars, find the problem child, and use any and all tricks to get it out.   Penetrating oil & time can actually help.  So do long bars/pipes (turning the joint is always the best way to free one up), portapowers, etc.  A really big hammer can help but DO NOT "flare" the pivot pin.    Heat is still the best.

I remember the rear axle froze on dad's 5 bottom 510 plow.   It took 2 days, 2 torches, a cradle made from log chains and heavy blocks, a 20 ton jack, and a 12' heavy pipe hooked to another tractor to finally get it worked out.   Fought us the whole way.   I can still remember the vast sense of accomplishment when it finally dropped out....40 years later!

• Haha 1

I've heated things like that before and used a 20 ton hydraulic jack and it usually does the job more quickly than squirting panther juice all over 

Do 1 at a time, leave the front one pinned and unpin the rest and repeat til you get them all unstuck.  Pick up the plow a couple inches off the ground start heating and get some one to ease the hydraulic lever back and fourth. The one I did I cut and clamped angle iron to the top and bottom of the 2 flat pieces all the way to the last furrow to make it more rigid.