Farmall F-20 radiator tanks

SuperWD9

Had the radiator core blow a leak about a month ago. Starting to take it apart to repair it but the bolts that thread in to to top tank do not want to break free and the heads are soft and want to start rounding. The bolts with exposed nuts I could probably cut in order to remove them but the ones threaded in will cause problems.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a set of tanks in decent shape that doesn’t have a lot of  bolts sheared off in it?

3 hours ago, SuperWD9 said:

Had the radiator core blow a leak about a month ago. Starting to take it apart to repair it but the bolts that thread in to to top tank do not want to break free and the heads are soft and want to start rounding. The bolts with exposed nuts I could probably cut in order to remove them but the ones threaded in will cause problems.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a set of tanks in decent shape that doesn’t have a lot of  bolts sheared off in it?

Just snap them off. Then grind them smooth, flush with the gasket surface. This is important because the first step in bolt extraction is the most important. To be accurately center punched. Then you can drill them to their tap-drill size with minimal damage to the casting. I know it’s not what you said you wanted to do, but figure in the cost of the part , plus shipping, vs. spending a couple hours drilling them out. Even if you don’t want to do it, at least take it to a automotive machine shop and get a price...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Apply your favorite loose-juice and wait. Heat the casting next to the core and  try turning. Repeat. If you break the bolt you can weld a nut onto the stud and try again. The welding heat helps. If you break it off flush or nearly flush then drill and tap. 

This is my suggestion also

26 minutes ago, 606 diesel said:

I like using a MIG welder on broken off bolts weld a nut on them and turn them out. If the nut keeps snapping off weld a nut to the bolt again and heat the casting up with a cutting torch I have not yet found a bolt that could not be removed with this method. Good luck

I an not blessed with a bigger mig so 6010 in standard arc welder.  If broke down in the cast use a flat washer. After cleaning slag then weld a nut on the flat washer. The time consuming part is letting the weld cool. If the weld breaks just keep welding it back. I have done several cast iron radiator tanks. Never had one that did not come out. One took 6 or 8 try's. I never hit center if I try drill broke bolts out. 

• Like 2

Break them off and deal with it. They ALL do that for some reason on both top and bottom tanks along the side rails. i put the next size larger nut over them and fill the entire void with a mig welder to get it red hot. while its cooling off tap it with a hammer to help knock the threads loose. It sux but thats what you have to do to them. IH was famous for making casting in radiators and cooling jackets that were NOT blind holes so the end of the hardware is always in the coolant