50C refurb

DT Fan

This could probably go in the project area but I think more appropriate here.

This is the deck off the 782 that I really like to mow with. Doesn't look too bad from a distance, look a little closer, she needs help. Enough that I would just scrap it if they weren't so hard to find 50 inch decks! This is the third year/time I have brought it to town after mowing season, finally got her tore down! The plan is to braze in patches over the rust holes and fix the missing piece in the skirt.

Another thing I noticed is how worn the pulleys are. Have to be loosing a lot of blade speed to that. Going to check my parts inventory tomorrow and see if I have some good ones, if not, I'll buy new.

In the tear down process today I found a broken tension spring and a bad bearing in that pulley, off to the dealer for parts!

The front roller had a ton of slop in it, Uncle always says, "just weld a washer in there"! Ok, I brazed them in, that part of the job is done and I got a little practice before the real brazing starts in earnest. Going to take it back to the farm tomorrow to wire brush the rusty areas outside. Don't need all that in the basement!

Some pics from today. Stay tuned, this may take awhile.

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

• Like 2

Looks like you have one new replacement spindle and 2 older water pump style.  Put the new one back in the center to take the PTO load. 

Good time to add a rear anti scalp roller as well,  and stiffen the deck at the lift hangers. 

Should be a good project.....hope it goes well for you!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 5088 said:

The tensioner arm, there is a newer mounting stud with a grease fitting available nowdays, I think they are about $15. I'd probably do that too while it is tore down.

I'll look into that when I go get parts.

Took the deck skin back to the farm today, wire brushed the damaged areas. Spent a little time brazing on it when I got back to town. Surprised how well the bronze is sticking! Some of this doesn't look too bad, other parts.... The small pieces of stainless I'm using for patches may not be the best, warps pretty easy. Will have to form some in the future and make a piece for the missing skirt. But hey, It's still November, five months to go before I need this thing, right?

Pretty sure I'm going to have to get some more brazing rod before I'm done with this!

IMG_1236.JPG

• Like 1

I may take a little different tack on this going forward. Just cut the patches for each hole as using them as cut to cover more than one they tend to warp. Guess there is probably no right or wrong way to do this just want to plug the holes. The cracks filled pretty good.

Upshot is, no one is going to see this on the underside of the deck. Especially after the clippings cover things up a bit!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bout time for a little update; Just finished brazing the patch on the deck skirt. No picture, kind of ugly.

Still haven't made it to Grinnell to get parts, no big deal, lots of brazing yet to do.

Off to the farm to see if the building is getting worked on!

Good time to add a rear anti scalp roller in the space between the center blade baffle and rear deck skin.  Makes it almost impossible to get into the dirt with the mower on ridges and ditches. 

• Thanks 1

Brazed on this thing for a couple hours today. Probably half way done with the patching. The heat from the torch is warping things pretty bad, will have to do some serious straightening.

Went to Grinnell and picked up the new idler pulley and torsion spring. Had to order the three spindle pulleys.

May actually have this thing back together in time to mow this spring.

Next thread I need to post is rebuilding the steering on a 782.

• Like 2

Spent about an hour and a half brazing on this thing today, not done but getting close. I think all of the holes are covered, still need to finish some of the bigger patches.

Hoping the parts I ordered last week come in this week. Should be ready to cut grass come April.

• Like 1

Another afternoon brazing, i think I'm done with the brazing. There is plenty of ugly on this thing now but a lot less holes.

Will be interesting to see how the blades line up as the heat from the torch warped things pretty good. Tried to get it flat today, time will tell.

IMG_1260.JPG

• Like 1

Got a call from the dealer today, parts are in! After stopping in for a visit at the local 'yard' I determined I had time to go get the parts. Will work on getting this thing together tomorrow.

Take plenty of time to get the deck skin / blades level and true before you assemble everything......the cut quality will be much better if you do.   BFH and level/straight edge.....

Got a 50c deck with the 1862 and 1541 I got as a package deal last year. Sharpened the blades and put it on the 2nd 1862 I bought that didn't have a deck. It did a pretty nice job mowing but I see 1 spindle was wobbling around some and upon further investigation it was definitely loose. What are the options to fix those now? Are the bearings replaceable in those? Or is a whole new spindle available and the way to go?

11 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Take plenty of time to get the deck skin / blades level and true before you assemble everything......the cut quality will be much better if you do.   BFH and level/straight edge.....

The BFH has been employed some, no doubt more is needed. Pulleys came in, going to work on this yet today.

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Got a 50c deck with the 1862 and 1541 I got as a package deal last year. Sharpened the blades and put it on the 2nd 1862 I bought that didn't have a deck. It did a pretty nice job mowing but I see 1 spindle was wobbling around some and upon further investigation it was definitely loose. What are the options to fix those now? Are the bearings replaceable in those? Or is a whole new spindle available and the way to go?

The waterpump style bearing was available at Grinnell the last I knew. Bought a couple of them there. Pretty sure one of them went in this deck when it got to sounding like a 747 taking off.

• Thanks 1

IB65 I think the rebuildable spindles are the way to go, and thinking if your deck was OEM to the 62 or 41 it *should* be the rebuildable type.  I got bearings and seals from ebay, and I had to get a center spacer (between the bearings) and 1 spacer the seal rides against from CC.  If yours is the rebuildable type you'll need to disassemble to see where the play is.  On another thought I had a race spin in one of mine so I had to get a housing.  Pretty sure I got that from IHCCW.

• Like 1

Progress is slow but is happening. I started to do a little painting and noticed a couple more things that needed brazed. Did that, warped the spindle surface again but didn't take too much to get back to straight. So I used up all the white paint I had, kind of wish I would have prepped it better last fall..... If I ever find a 'good' 50C skin this one is going to become a parts deck. When the paint is dry I'll start the reassembly in earnest.

IMG_1269.JPG

For those who want to know, on the deck pictured above, the center spindle with the AL housing and reinforcing ribs a new style tapered roller bearing (rebuildable).  The other 2 outside spindles are the ST745 "water pump bearing " style that are not rebuildable.  The housings are a dead give away to distinguish the two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

For those who want to know, on the deck pictured above, the center spindle with the AL housing and reinforcing ribs a new style tapered roller bearing (rebuildable).  The other 2 outside spindles are the ST745 "water pump bearing " style that are not rebuildable.  The housings are a dead give away to distinguish the two.

I took your advice and put the rebuild-able one in the center. Didn't have time to mention that earlier.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

DT,

Good time to give the bottom of the deck a heavy coat of brush on Slip Plate / EZ-Slide graphite paint. 

Thanks, think I may even have some around here somewhere. Would probably help to pull the blades back off to do that. Put them on to check level, looks pretty good. May even have this thing ready to cut grass this spring.

• Like 2

DT I think it would be worth the effort to get the newer tensioner pivot pin.  It's greasable, preventing the tensioner arm from wearing the pin and arm itself, or seizing together.  I've also had one seize the spring.  You could probably drill yours for a grease fitting.

Pic I stole off the www

1241528610_pivotpin.jpg.998379cb2b9896c6159395424abdcf43.jpg

10 hours ago, 5088 said:

DT I think it would be worth the effort to get the newer tensioner pivot pin.  It's greasable, preventing the tensioner arm from wearing the pin and arm itself, or seizing together.  I've also had one seize the spring.  You could probably drill yours for a grease fitting.

Pic I stole off the www

1241528610_pivotpin.jpg.998379cb2b9896c6159395424abdcf43.jpg

5088, I'll look into that. I think someone may have mentioned this earlier and I spaced it off! After rereading a bit I see it was you that mentioned this. Thanks. Found part no.'s on Cub-Cadet website will get at dealership to avoid shipping costs. As many new parts as this thing now has in it one more isn't going to break the bank.

The underside of this thing is about 9 kinds of ugly but I think it will cut great. The drive pulley and one outer were really worn. The other outer pulley I actually am going to save as it's pretty good yet, it was on the new style spindle. The pulleys should bring up the blade speed quite a bit and probably reduce slippage in heavy turf.