8.3 Cummins overhaul kit.

TB5288

What is an approved aftermarket brand for an overhaul kit? I have installed several Maxxiforce kits in IH engines and I have to say I've never had a problem with any of them. I know some will not agree, nobody agrees on everything. What about AgKits? Not sure what brand they sell. I'm thinking of an exchange head also. They offer a "new" head that seems pretty reasonable. Is it junk? If it's new, who would be manufacturing a new head? 

I think agkits source kits from reliance .... I have been down this road . Before I had heard of problems with reliance we used their parts on two overhauls in Magnums and redid them with factory parts 

31 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

What is an approved aftermarket brand for an overhaul kit? I have installed several Maxxiforce kits in IH engines and I have to say I've never had a problem with any of them. I know some will not agree, nobody agrees on everything. What about AgKits? Not sure what brand they sell. I'm thinking of an exchange head also. They offer a "new" head that seems pretty reasonable. Is it junk? If it's new, who would be manufacturing a new head? 

Just put a pai kit in a ism Cummins. The piston and pins had made in USA on them.

552C82C2-7A51-41A4-8D10-DA9B4862D1D1.png

88FBF90F-7D7D-4267-B92B-E8B668B1F096.png

33 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Talk to Jesse at Restoration Tractor Sales in Lancaster PA.

He has Federal Mogul kits for the 8.3s in Magnums, not sure what your looking for a kit for.

Would be the best choice for a high quality kit I think. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Direct from them or through a dealer? This would be for an 8950.

This kit came through a Peterbilt dealer for a kenworth truck. I would google pai engine parts and find out what you can. I was impressed , but there are absolutely no vendor names on any part just pai.

AG kits is mostly reliance, but sometimes a mixed bag. We have used a couple of their kits on projects at work, both are still running, but neither see a lot of use. If it was mine I would try and source a higher quality kit.

• Like 1

I sell a few Interstate McBee kits and they sell quality parts as far as I or my customers have seen. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Talk to Jesse at Restoration Tractor Sales in Lancaster PA.

He has Federal Mogul kits for the 8.3s in Magnums, not sure what your looking for a kit for.

Would be the best choice for a high quality kit I think. 

I have used a federal mogul head gasket set.  I thought it was very high quality for after market.  Next time I needed one I could not get one in a reasonable time.  I have used some PAI in truck engines.  Have had good luck.  There was a few gaskets I thought looked cheap so I bought cummins ones but 95 percent of it was fine

Hate to say it but some of these engines are old enough where the parts supply from Cummins isn’t like it used to be. Plus covid , trucking , supply chain, mfg problems have really impacted lots of crazy stuff. I know Peterbilt couldn’t get a Cummins kit for that ism.

Ok so now another problem. I contacted PAI. She asked for engine serial number. No problem, I have a picture of the engine data plate, all the information is very clear. She tells me serial number is wrong, it doesn't come up. Well there is not doubt what is on the tag. I log on to Cummins website, enter engine serial number. I get the same message, "serial number not found". What's going on here?? If this was a reman engine would the serial number "not" show up?

CaseIH assumed the warranty responsibility for any of their engines. Yes Cummins built it and once built they were done with it. Same way with the Komatsu engines Cummins built for them. You can simply look your parts up thru CaseIH and knock the "J" off number and replace it with a 3, example J911562 is Cummins # 3911562. You can also take the injection pump number and get a Cummins CPL # and kinda go in thru the back door. The CPL is Critical Parts List that controls the parts that make the HP. Example cam, injectors, pistons an etc...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

CaseIH assumed the warranty responsibility for any of their engines. Yes Cummins built it and once built they were done with it. Same way with the Komatsu engines Cummins built for them. You can simply look your parts up thru CaseIH and knock the "J" off number and replace it with a 3, example J911562 is Cummins # 3911562. You can also take the injection pump number and get a Cummins CPL # and kinda go in thru the back door. The CPL is Critical Parts List that controls the parts that make the HP. Example cam, injectors, pistons an etc...

I guess my main problem right now is PAI needs the engine serial number. Anyway of knowing what the original serial number was? Or are you saying what I have "is" the serial number but they will not get it to come up under Cummins?

11 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Or are you saying what I have "is" the serial number but they will not get it to come up under Cummins?

Correct,

You will have to order based on piston and sleeve number that is in the engine. Confirmed by number etched in top of sleeve and last (4) digits of part number stamped in piston, or use CaseIH partsbook. Just make sure the kit contains those part numbers, rest of the items will be pretty much the same between most "C" series AG & Industrial engines. 

• Like 1

And again I just threw the pai out. I have used reliance lots and others and they still run. What caught my eye on the pai stuff is made in USA piston and pin. The bearings were packed like other cheaper kits but they did have a plastic liner protecting each one. The head gasket was okay but I had to remove it for the stripped bolt so it has a Cummins gasket now. I know on John Deere I use John Deere parts and prefer Cummins also but stuff is