Replacing DT 429 to 466 Any advice?

I posted a while back about a TD20B that was given to my dad. It was in a remote part of Nevada and had been worked to death by and unexperienced operator.

He has been working on it for quite sometime now and has determined that the crank is bad and he will probably be giving up on the DT 429. From what I have found there is virtually no parts to purchase for this engine. 

I have been reading though the form looking for some information about swapping a DT 429 to a 466. 

Is this swap to the 466 a viable thing? 

Anybody have a contact that I could talk to about the success rate of swapping this engine?

It's sad but the price of scrap is better than it was a while ago if we can't figure out a solution to this engine problem that is probably where it is headed. Price of scrap might cover the costs of transporting it back to the shop. Maybe.

20200506_104300.jpg

Given enough time and money any repower is possible. Before I did that I would be getting several opinions from very reputable machine shops about what to do with that crank. Maybe someone knows where a complete DT429 is sitting? I know parts support is bad, but getting all the little things fixed right in a repower is very time consuming and often involves the help of a good machinist. 

It's obviously been done I think Dirtboyz was going that route before another donor turned up, given the variations of 466 applications one choice maybe better suited than others, sorry don't know the details on which, good luck would hate to see it scrapped, maybe could part it out as last resort 

Have you talked to Brown International? I think they had several parts machines there. They maybe could point you in the right direction. Look for salvage machines on machinery trader? I think maybe @acem mentioned in a post a while back he knew where a complete DT429 was, not sure. 

Think I know where there is one in a 4100. Would be located in Idaho and I am sure you would have to take the whole machine. Not mine but if you PM me I will try and get the two of you together. I suggested it to Dirtboyz before he found one closer. Pretty sure it is a running motor.

I think Dirtboyz came to the conclusion that adapting the flywheel driven hydraulic pump to the 466 was the major stumbling block so they found another 429.

There was a TD20C with a 466 for sale on Machinery Trader but no good photos of the bell housing area. 

The C had a V8 from the factory so maybe the hydraulic pump arrangements were changed that allow it to be easier adapted to the 466 

• Like 1