Replacing DT 429 to 466 Any advice?

TD 20B

I posted a while back about a TD20B that was given to my dad. It was in a remote part of Nevada and had been worked to death by and unexperienced operator.

He has been working on it for quite sometime now and has determined that the crank is bad and he will probably be giving up on the DT 429. From what I have found there is virtually no parts to purchase for this engine. 

I have been reading though the forum looking for some information about swapping a DT 429 to a 466. 

Is this swap to the 466 a viable thing? 

Anybody have a contact that I could talk to about the success rate of swapping this engine?

It's sad but the price of scrap is better than it was a while ago if we can't figure out a solution to this engine problem that is probably where it is headed. Price of scrap might cover the costs of transporting it back to the shop. Maybe.

20200506_104300.jpg

I had to find a 429 to put in mine , you could look for a newer dozer with a 466 but you will need the torque converter to make it work . It’s not much fun getting that all out of there . I’m hoping to get my new motor back in the machine this winter , have to see how it goes . Let me know I have the books for parts and service manuals 

Danny

On 11/25/2021 at 7:24 AM, DirtBoyz07 said:

I had to find a 429 to put in mine , you could look for a newer dozer with a 466 but you will need the torque converter to make it work . It’s not much fun getting that all out of there . I’m hoping to get my new motor back in the machine this winter , have to see how it goes . Let me know I have the books for parts and service manuals 

Danny

Do you intend to put yours to work when completed? I am hoping to put my 250 loader with a 429 to work, but am having a nightmare of a time with getting the undercarriage straightened out. Currently trying to find time to get the CAT bottom rollers adapted onto the IH frame.