IH 3300B information? Anyone got anything

frbougeant

54 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Someone had a thread going about one of these.

Had a blown Wisconsin that wasn't salvageable and wanted to repower 

Need to go electric!! 

I ran a 3200 for many years. I was a very good machine once it was running. It would jump around when hydraulic pressure was building while starting. I dont know if this was a problem with the 3300.  

Dad bought this one new in 1975...been in the family ever since. Did years of hard duty in our hog operation for 30 years. This one is a 3200B with the little VH4D Wisconsin. 3300B should have been the bigger model with the VG4D Wisconsin. They were built by Northwestern manufacturing in Eau Clair, Wisconsin IIRC. This was taken at RPRU in Huron, SD in 2020. 

20200806_165031_IMG_2981.JPG

Our 3200 series A did the same jumping around when starting and we never did get it fixed. Biggest problem was the MAG. Tried a rebuild and then replaced it. Almost unstoppable. But if you got it off the cement or dry dirt you were in trouble. Couldn't quite lift a very large round bale. We adapted a manure bucket from a Deere loader. Boy you could move pen packed stuff fast with it. I really liked that the front wheels were not rigid so it would walk over stuff easy.

12 hours ago, VacDaddyt said:

I really liked that the front wheels were not rigid so it would walk over stuff easy.

Please elaborate, did they pivot like a tractor? 

Each side had a pivot in the middle of the side which moved as a unit, and there was a linkage on the front to allow movement. You could drive up on a six by six and all the wheels would be touching ground yet.  A bit scary if  with a 54 in bucket you tried to pick something too heavy up with the corner. There is some pictures of it somewhere but hard to find the middle linkage. They went away from that design  soon after  as it was expensive to build, also only ones I know of that used that design.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:05 AM, jeeper61 said:

Someone had a thread going about one of these.

Had a blown Wisconsin that wasn't salvageable and wanted to repower 

Don't be afraid of a Wisconsin.

One in good shape and tuned up correctly will run to your satisfaction.

The biggest problem with these was broken head bolts from the heat.

With today's studs, that would end that problem.

I would certainly run a Wisconsin engine.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. Currently purchased another vg4d to replace the unit in it. Should have it together tomorrow to drive around if all goes well. Cool little tractor. Feel like I'll have to come up with a customer bucket for it. Since the original is still in the field with rust holes through it. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Found a good condition VG4D someone had as a spare. Crankshaft will have to be swapped out. The engine I purchased has newly machined jugs, new pistons, valves have been redone, new connecting rod bears, etc. So time to swap crankshafts ( if the old one is any good ) and see how it goes! Also need to swap distributors, I have everything to rebuild the carb and complete ignition system, Wish me luck 🤞

IMG_20211224_151224275_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211224_151227994.jpg

IMG_20211224_151234630.jpg

IMG_20211224_151213934~2.jpg

On 11/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, SDman said:

Dad bought this one new in 1975...been in the family ever since. Did years of hard duty in our hog operation for 30 years. This one is a 3200B with the little VH4D Wisconsin. 3300B should have been the bigger model with the VG4D Wisconsin. They were built by Northwestern manufacturing in Eau Clair, Wisconsin IIRC. This was taken at RPRU in Huron, SD in 2020. 

20200806_165031_IMG_2981.JPG

I had the same exact loader except it was a Massey.Northwestern built them for Massey also. It rode very nice over rough ground with that center pivot. Bobcat would bounce the guts out of you in the same time  period and that little loader would go on all fours unlike a Bobcat would be on the front two.The only design flaw on it I thought was how the hubs were fixed on the spindles.They were a conical shaft and Woodruff key is all that kept the huh from spinning on the axel.I ended up welding a keeper to the hubs that the keyway wore out.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: it's a high of 32 today. So not much done on it. After reviewing each engine and finding out that the original engine lost #4 piston, but the bottom end is okay. I will be swapping pistons, rods, and cylinders to the original engine. Just easier than swapping the crankshaft, governor, filter assembly, and relocating the distributor. I will be building another motor with what's left of the Wisconsin parts, possibly have to sleeve on of the cylinders, and keep it as an engine for something else. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update! Original motor is partially torn down. Flywheel was a pain to get off  as well as the flywheel nut! Gasket kits are in. I'll post some pics tomorrow of before and after on all the parts I clean. Plan on repainting the unit dark gray like my other equipment. Carb kit is in as well and the carb should be rebuilt this week. It's warming up people! Should have this puppy back together sooner rather than later 🤞

Archived