Wood Stove suggestions

MCC

20 hours ago, hardtail said:

Maybe some red tractors at the new place?

Hahaha well there are some on the mantle ya can’t see. I’ve had that Ford set since I was 4 years old, though we didn’t get the full size version for another decade or so. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 11:04 AM, Michigan No Till said:

What model stove, wondering if it's still made?

Thats a Country Flame from S MO . They are still around but models have changed .  Fire brick ceiling and over air burn all smoke in fire box.

• 4 months later...

Well I was actually able to convince my wife on installing a woodstove after we had the sales rep come to our home and give us his opinion on the best placement for the chimney.  She would never agree with me, until the salesman said my idea was best.  I asked her about this later and her response was, "I had to hear it from someone else".  Ah the joys.  lol  Anyway, we ended up ordering a Blaze King Princess 32.  We really liked the set it and forget it automatic damper for operational simplicity for the wife and I really like the long burn times and consistent heat output.  I'm super excited as I have been wanting a stove for years, but I could never get my wife to agree on the location of it.  And now since I just had about 100 Ash trees logged out, I have tons of tree tops to clean up.  Supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks.  

https://www.blazeking.com/products/wood-stoves/princess-classic/

My wife wanted the solid base with a functional ash pan.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MCC said:

Well I was actually able to convince my wife on installing a woodstove after we had the sales rep come to our home and give us his opinion on the best placement for the chimney.  She would never agree with me, until the salesman said my idea was best.  I asked her about this later and her response was, "I had to hear it from someone else".  Ah the joys.  lol  Anyway, we ended up ordering a Blaze King Princess 32.  We really liked the set it and forget it automatic damper for operational simplicity for the wife and I really like the long burn times and consistent heat output.  I'm super excited as I have been wanting a stove for years, but I could never get my wife to agree on the location of it.  And now since I just had about 100 Ash trees logged out, I have tons of tree tops to clean up.  Supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks.  

Very nice ! You are really going to like the ash pan. 

On 4/9/2022 at 7:31 AM, MCC said:

I'd suggest you get an arbor saw attachment like Dad had for his M... but, when he talked about how much they used it to cut pieces of tops (in the 50s, before he had a chainsaw), I asked "how come you quit using it?"  "Because we had kids."  Good point.  

Great looking stove.  Very impressive burn times.  That'd be really nice to go all day on a loading.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, russ_alabama said:

I'd suggest you get an arbor saw attachment like Dad had for his M... but, when he talked about how much they used it to cut pieces of tops (in the 50s, before he had a chainsaw), I asked "how come you quit using it?"  "Because we had kids."  Good point.  

Great looking stove.  Very impressive burn times.  That'd be really nice to go all day on a loading.  

It takes three people to operate a buzz saw efficiently. One at the table feeding the saw. One supporting other end of limb. And one taking chunks away. Some sort of deflector so chunks fell away from saw would improve safety greatly. Nothing bothered me more than watching someone bend over to pickup a piece from under saw with their head inches from spinning blade.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Nothing bothered me more than watching someone bend over to pickup a piece from under saw with their head inches from spinning blade.

snoshoe, your right you can't ever be to careful. Makes me think of this incident.....

Years ago in the early 80's when our fire & rescue dept had just opened, we got a call to a sawmill. First member arrived on scene and found the guy cut into 3 pieces, the saw blade went right across upper thigh on angle across opposite hip joint. He held our members hand and told him to tell his wife and family he loved them, lasted a couple minutes and was gone. Don't remember the "how it happened" details. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

snoshoe, your right you can't ever be to careful. Makes me think of this incident.....

Years ago in the early 80's when our fire & rescue dept had just opened, we got a call to a sawmill. First member arrived on scene and found the guy cut into 3 pieces, the saw blade went right across upper thigh on angle across opposite hip joint. He held our members hand and told him to tell his wife and family he loved them, lasted a couple minutes and was gone. Don't remember the "how it happened" details. 

pretty awful scene to see.  would be a scene that'd just never go away in memory.  but, you got to help a person that needed even some friends when nothing could be done. 

• Like 1

🤦‍♂️  I just scrapped a good Buck stove. Coukdnt find any takers and I had to clean the place out. 

Is buck even a thing any more? When I was younger that was all anyone around here had. Ashley for the poor folks and buck for the winners. 😎

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

🤦‍♂️  I just scrapped a good Buck stove. Coukdnt find any takers and I had to clean the place out. 

Is buck even a thing any more? When I was younger that was all anyone around here had. Ashley for the poor folks and buck for the winners. 😎

We had the Ashely... Dad was thrifty, to your point.  The local guys with good factory jobs went Buck.  They were everywhere around here.  Ashley got bought by a Tennessee company that does the offshore contract manufacturing of them, as EPA models for wood, and the old regular Ashley "for coal."  Cousin has a Buck insert stand alone in his wood shop.  Does a great job.  

18 minutes ago, russ_alabama said:

We had the Ashely... Dad was thrifty, to your point.  The local guys with good factory jobs went Buck.  They were everywhere around here.  Ashley got bought by a Tennessee company that does the offshore contract manufacturing of them, as EPA models for wood, and the old regular Ashley "for coal."  Cousin has a Buck insert stand alone in his wood shop.  Does a great job.  

Oh we had several "used" Ashley's. Dad finally bought the buck later on in life. I think all the old Ashley's wound up in someone's garage and if they would of kept the fire brick in good shape probably still be someone leaning up against it. But without the brick they warped up like a tin can. 

• Like 2

@MCC i have two, a cook stove in basement = pioneer maid and they also make a front loader pioneer princess  ( amish cook stoves ) w/ovens and cook tops/bread warmers, water tanks etc......

I have a pellet stove up, nice flames and great heat - its an all fuel but currently wood is far less expensive than any other source. 

i like them all - nothing beats backing up to a warm stove and getting hot pants forcing you to walk away LOL 

ambiance is priceless, whatever you get you cant go wrong in my opinion lots of great choices out there mainly driven by budget - remember the expense of a flu it adds a lot 

• Like 1

I have 2 at my camp and one that heats my home all of them are jotals very happy with them and I have been heating with wood for 42 years the newer ones are very efficient the one in my home I replaced 4 years ago  and cut my wood consumption by 30% and my wife likes it at about 75

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Oh we had several "used" Ashley's. Dad finally bought the buck later on in life. I think all the old Ashley's wound up in someone's garage and if they would of kept the fire brick in good shape probably still be someone leaning up against it. But without the brick they warped up like a tin can. 

yeah, all the locals said years ago, find all the firebrick and grates that you can as they don't make 'em anymore.  i think the brick is affordable now for the ashleys.  i didn't dislike the ashley, but poured a ton in the house remodel and decided to have a new heater in the process.  bucks always looked the stronger of the two.