Wood Stove suggestions

MCC

How big is your space? Is this just for 1 room or is it for the whole house? I have been lusting after a Woodstock Soapstone Progress Hybrid. They are incredible. 
https://www.woodstove.com/the-progress-hybrid-wood-stove

82AAE727-20C9-4002-A2CD-2E2C1DF3B99C.png

2DF0CF1E-10F9-4E3C-AA41-EF4D3E87C8B7.png

D3C510F4-2086-4055-A72E-D9DF264B2B51.png

7D6EB632-B93C-4B84-9BAB-6D0DB3C3D67C.png

• Thanks 1

I own a vermont castings Vigilant and a Vermont Castings Defiant D1 i love them, they are air tight stoves but are non catalytic and no longer meet energy codes, so no longer available but supported by parts. They moved much of the company out of Vermont. The Woodstock Soapstone are made next door in Lebanon NH and are a terrific stove. 
this is the vigilant 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Here I thought you were going to put in another shameless plug for the Stanley Waterford😊

Like to here what some of the cat guys have to say

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MCC said:

I would like to 1200 sq. ft.  My old pellet stove was rated 50000 btu and did fine for heat output.

A Woodstock soapstone “fireview”or a Vermont Castings Encore would fill your needs very nicely, my dad had an encore, and has replaced it with an older model of the same stove that is a catalytic. VC made both configurations, cat and non, one thing to be careful of is to watch out for the ash door gaskets, they can fall out or become damaged and allow the stove to run away, you will be replacing internals of you allow this to happen often. It’s a simple thing and just good maintenance practice, regardless of brand. My grandparents had (dad still owns it) a Woodstock “fireview” catalytic, it is a very nice stove but the 16” wood was a pain as we usually do larger 19-21” 

don’t be afraid of catalytic stoves, just run them the way they are designed. 

Not exactly what you are asking about, wife wanted a cook stove and we installed a Nordica Rosa a year ago. Does an excellent job of heating the house 1600 sq ft and it also makes very good meals. Not sure if the regulations have changed but at the time cook stoves did not need to meet EPA approval. They do not have a huge firebox but are quite easy on wood. One of the ceramic sides was cracked in shipment and we did not catch it at the time the freight company dropped it off. The business we bought it from was excellent to deal with and sent a replacement at no charge. The wife went with the red option. The person who installed it for us was very impressed with the quality of construction. He installs wood stoves as his primary job and he did not sell this one so I am pretty sure he was telling it as it was. The only issue that I have had to deal with is the door gasket coming loose and needing glued back into place. The door glass is hard to keep clean on the fire box side, really does not bother me that much that I can not see the flames but that would be one thing to consider if your into flame watching.

https://cookstoves.net/la-nordica-cooks

Soapstone stoves are great, it is amazing how much heat they are producing after the fire is nearly out! I have used Vermont Castings, Harmon and Jotul, good stoves. Don't go cheap, the extra money for a high quality cast iron stove is well worth it.

• Like 2

1650545259_IMG_0055.jpgsm.thumb.jpg.7ff661d3d05488c87c81772578891d78.jpg

I burn 24/7 for over 30  years and over 20  years for this Country Flame wood stove. I think the key things to look for are air tight and FULLY fire brick lined. Glass is a super bonus. This stove is lined with very lite insulating fire brick. Many I have looked at use a heavy dense fire brick that I am told is more of a conductor.(I don,t recommend the heavy brick models)The lite brick is what you find in a forge a kiln or industrial furnace set ups. This was the biggest stove I could find out of 5-6 stove stores in town at the time. I heat about 3000 sq ft with out any supplementary gas, electric or oil. It holds 20" logs comfortably and a couple more inches angled. I have zero regrets with this stove choice.  It is the heart of the home

• Like 2

1 minute ago, just Dave said:

. I heat about 3000 sq ft with out any supplementary gas, electric or oil.

I am not sure where they get their square foot recommendations. My dad heats a 2200 sq foot house very comfortably with a stove rated at 48,000 or I think it recommends a 900 sq foot room. When the weather dips below 0 for a period the office gets a little chilly but it is as far away from the stove as it can get. Either he turns on a through the wall circulating fan or builds a fire in the vigilant in the office.  I do about 2800 sq feet with one vigilant. It is centrally located, i don’t NEED and extra source, but i have one. Honestly the Defiant would be a better choice. 

I can't remember for sure but I think mine is rated at 90,000 BTU. I like the look of cast iron but i could not find one nearly big enough for my space. Last winter we hit some sub zero stuff for a week or two and my propane central furnace did run during that, notice the return air intake above my stove.

20211123_123200.thumb.jpg.9dd0ba0647c93d9b45e443a51102acc0.jpgI run a Scandia,  el cheapo generic version of Vermont Casting.  Contrary to reviews,  it's been incredible.  I planned to replace it as soon as I could get a soapstone unit. It is our primary heat source,  and I even whipped up a boiler unit for the top, plumbed to a radiator upstairs.  My wife keeps the house insanely hot and the little Scandia keeps on keeping on. Our house is from 1870 so it is no easy task to keep it hot but so far,  so good.  I probably will replace it next year but I have said that for a while now. 

20211123_123200.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank H said:

20211123_123200.thumb.jpg.9dd0ba0647c93d9b45e443a51102acc0.jpgI run a Scandia,  el cheapo generic version of Vermont Casting.  Contrary to reviews,  it's been incredible.  I planned to replace it as soon as I could get a soapstone unit. It is our primary heat source,  and I even whipped up a boiler unit for the top, plumbed to a radiator upstairs.  My wife keeps the house insanely hot and the little Scandia keeps on keeping on. Our house is from 1870 so it is no easy task to keep it hot but so far,  so good.  I probably will replace it next year but I have said that for a while now. 

20211123_123200.jpg

That’s the Defiant knock-off, my uncle had the Vigilant . Thing looked like a Jack o lantern when the lights were out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have had this EcoChoice in the basement since we built the house 7 years ago.  Does a nice job, doesn't over consume.  Would be better suited inside the living quarters, but we like to keep the mess downstairs.  And I can back a trailer load of wood right to it.

This one has the bafflea on the top, that burn the exhaust gasses out of the smoke.  So the chimney stays clean.  Sorry it isn't a great picture. 

20210111_111904.jpg

• Like 1

I really like my Pacific Energy stove. Easy to use, easy to clean. It has a trap door to rake ashes into the ash bucket underneath. It has a re-burner in the top of the firebox that gets more heat out of the gasses before exiting. 3 bedroom brick rancher house and I burn around 3 full cords in a season. I like it HOT too. 

Screenshot_20210301-121053.png

• Like 2

if you want non catalytic and new, look for coal stoves that used to be dual fuel (coal or wood), prior to epa rules.  i have a legacy brand model, mark iii.  but there's several coal stoves out there that are used to be advertised as dual fuel and then went only coal when the epa rules changed them.  the coal stoves that used to be dual fuel have to have a warning that it's only for coal now.  fact is, ashley's new wood stoves are catalytic, and they have the old non catalytic as coal only, made like they were for many years before.  

5 hours ago, Frank H said:

I swear that someday I will be able to back my tractor and a load of firewood in my cellar.  Whether this home or a future one, I want that like others wish for good looks, fame or fortune!

Our last place had the stove in the living room.  Cozy but messy, got to carry the wood in, etc.

We did this one purposely to keep the stove in the basement.  You can back in a truckload or a small trailer and leave it.  Works out good.  Not as cozy, but much less mess!!

7 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I really like my Pacific Energy stove. Easy to use, easy to clean. It has a trap door to rake ashes into the ash bucket underneath. It has a re-burner in the top of the firebox that gets more heat out of the gasses before exiting. 3 bedroom brick rancher house and I burn around 3 full cords in a season. I like it HOT too. 

Screenshot_20210301-121053.png

I bought my Pacific Energy stove 20 years ago. Heats my little 1200 sq foot frame house easily. Very efficient burning stove. In fact I’m getting ready to move to the farm and took the stove out and put a little propane job in its place. I’m taking the wood stove with me. It’s been great. 

10C0DB1A-5EA2-4C45-98F0-4DCDB7558D4B.jpeg

• Haha 1

I have a Harman TL 2.0 in the basement. It would keep the house warm enough the oil furnace only had to run for hot water or to keep the boiler temp up. The kitchen which was at the opposite end of the house got pretty chilly. A Harman PC45 pellet stove solved that problem. The wife likes it WARM. However Harman’s parent company has discontinued all Harman solid wood stoves. The only making pellet stoves under the Harman name anymore. 

Matt

Blaze king is popular up here. Look nice, very expensive and catalytic. My cousin has one and he likes it a lot...except when he has to replace the catalytic device..very expensive lol.

I have an englander ad on furnace. Its meant to plumb into your existing forced air but ours is in the living room and just vents right there. It will take 24" logs and i get great burn times. At an average 30 below i burn 5 maybe 6 cord a year. Cabin is about 2200sq ft. We start in late September and dont stop til March.